OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The heck with this turkey hunting!

Started by turkey_slayer, April 25, 2011, 11:02:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey_slayer

Went back to where I killed the rhododendron turkey.  Sure enough one was gobbling his fool head off at daybreak down in that holler.  Instead of calling him up through the laurel I figured I would get on his side this time.  He was gobbling every breath on his own.

An hour and 15 minutes later got to where I wanted to be and he hammered above me about 60 yards.  I was sitting facing up the ridge.  I had a ridge to my left and a ridge on my right.  Both were about 40 yards from me and I could see about 40 yards in front of me.  He was at about my 10 oclock.  I yelped and he triple gobbled.  Few seconds later I could hear him drumming and walking in the leaves.  He kept going back and forth and wouldnt pop his head up over the ridge.

He started going to the right and down the holler. I didnt want that cause it would have been a super close shot if he popped up just a little below me.  I decided to get up and get to where he was when we started.  We were playing musical chairs  ;D

I get up and take about 10 steps and was getting ready to step over a log.  Well I dont know where the turkey went cause he probably thought that was a really stinky hen.  I was about to set my foot on a rattler!  I jumped back, took my pants off, wiped my rear, sat down and gathered my thoughts for a sec.  Hmm what to do now?  I got up walked around the log and was looking at it.  This is the first one I've ever seen so I was both in shock and in amazement.  

After all the thrashing that turkey is probably in another county by now but I was shot after that and didnt really care lol.  Looks like he died of natural causes  ;D  I sat there for a few minutes and decided it would be best for me to go home.  A 15 minute walked turned into an hour.  I looked behind every tree, rock, stump, log that I came upon.  Heres some pics of the rascal.  Took with my cell phone as I left my camera on the computer desk  :bike2:

Basser69

That is the main reason us boys down here in the south wear snake boots!

bowhunter84

Quote from: Basser69 on April 25, 2011, 11:12:50 AM
you got that right :icon_thumright:

CASH

Heck ya.  Please tell me you don't wear those shoes in the woods with snakes like that around.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

ShotgunDave

Nice story up until the part where you killed the snake.  There is absolutely no need to do that. 

I hate it when people kill snakes for no reason.

SinGin

Quote from: ShotgunDave on April 25, 2011, 12:04:41 PM
Nice story up until the part where you killed the snake.  There is absolutely no need to do that. 

The only good snake is a "DEAD" snake

Hognutz

I actually liked the ''killin' the snake'' part..Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

catdaddy

Nice story up until the part where you killed the snake.  There is absolutely no need to do that.  

Killing the snake was my favorite part of the story.

WTG man--that one could have messed up your whole turkey hunt.

CASH

HUH?  Kill em all!
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

WyoHunter

I don't mind the non-poisonous ones but I kill the ones that can kill you!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

tiggere

Here in NC the cane brake and diamond backs are protected...I will kill the hell out of a copperhead/moccasin though...the others get a free pass and my recently ruined drawers dropped on them...LOL...

He doesn't look that old...how many rattles did he have?

they are starting to come out and I agree with others...if your in an area with the chance of running into one you need on snake boots...those shoes you have on ain't gonna stop them one bit...I was told by many that they would hit you around the ankle to 6" up on the boot...mine are up to the knee and I would still like them to be higher...:P

4nwtf

turkey_slayer

Quote from: CASH on April 25, 2011, 11:32:45 AM

Heck ya.  Please tell me you don't wear those shoes in the woods with snakes like that around.

Sadly yes and these are an upgrade.  I usually just wear my under armour running shoes if I dont have to cross a creek or walk through dew soaked grass.  Boots get hot and heavy walking these mountains. In 18 years of turkey hunting this is my first one I've ran across.  We have copperheads as well but only seen them during the summer.  The past few days have been unseasonably warm with temps in the upper 80's so it has them moving earlier than normal.  You got any snake boots you recommend that are light and dont get hot?

turkey_slayer

I can agree with you to a certain extent.  You need a little of everything to keep a balanced eco system but what if I left him alone and he got me the next time.  They way I look at it I did a little balancing myself!  So dont you go shooting those turkeys cause there really is no need to do that!

turkey_slayer

Quote from: tiggere on April 25, 2011, 01:18:10 PM
Here in NC the cane brake and diamond backs are protected...I will kill the hell out of a copperhead/moccasin though...the others get a free pass and my recently ruined drawers dropped on them...LOL...

He doesn't look that old...how many rattles did he have?

they are starting to come out and I agree with others...if your in an area with the chance of running into one you need on snake boots...those shoes you have on ain't gonna stop them one bit...I was told by many that they would hit you around the ankle to 6" up on the boot...mine are up to the knee and I would still like them to be higher...:P

6.  Hard to see them cause they are black like the rest of his back half.  Should have took a pic of them.  How big can a timber rattler get?