turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The heck with this turkey hunting!

Started by turkey_slayer, April 25, 2011, 11:02:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowhunter84

i caught a rattlesnake here in bama a few years ago that has 16 rattles and the button and was 5'11" long.    he was a HOSS!

turkey_slayer

Quote from: bowhunter84 on April 25, 2011, 02:36:45 PM
i caught a rattlesnake here in bama a few years ago that has 16 rattles and the button and was 5'11" long.    he was a HOSS!

You CAUGHT him?  ??? Your nuts I would have emptied the gun!  I started to shoot this then I thought about it and said nah he aint worth a TSS shell!  :D Didnt want to spook the bird either.

bowhunter84

Quote from: turkey_slayer on April 25, 2011, 02:39:53 PM
Quote from: bowhunter84 on April 25, 2011, 02:36:45 PM

You CAUGHT him?  ??? Your nuts I would have emptied the gun!  I started to shoot this then I thought about it and said nah he aint worth a TSS shell!  :D Didnt want to spook the bird either.

dont get me wrong i killed him after i caught him. i had caught quite a few before him but he was/is by far the biggest rattlesnake i've personally ever seen.

contagious

That's about as big as a timber rattler get's,they usually don't have a lot of rattles on their tail.!!
That's a good un!!,found one one the dirt road here in bama two weeks ago,let him go.

mossy835

After having a couple of horses and a ranch hand bit by diamond backs if I see them they are going to die and be headless as I bury the head always. Do not care if they are protected or not they will die and feed the yotes of hogs.

barry

Been there & done that with a rattlesnake while turkey huntin'.
Makes you think!

CASH

Quote from: turkey_slayer on April 25, 2011, 02:20:55 PM
Quote from: CASH on April 25, 2011, 11:32:45 AM
Quote from: Basser69 on April 25, 2011, 11:12:50 AM
That is the main reason us boys down here in the south wear snake boots!

Heck ya.  Please tell me you don't wear those shoes in the woods with snakes like that around.

Sadly yes and these are an upgrade.  I usually just wear my under armour running shoes if I dont have to cross a creek or walk through dew soaked grass.  Boots get hot and heavy walking these mountains. In 18 years of turkey hunting this is my first one I've ran across.  We have copperheads as well but only seen them during the summer.  The past few days have been unseasonably warm with temps in the upper 80's so it has them moving earlier than normal.  You got any snake boots you recommend that are light and dont get hot?

Lot of light ones on the market.  THEY ALL GET HOT
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Basser69

I have a pair of LaCross and a pair of browning ones and like them both but down here,  I am not going in the woods without them unless it is not getting above 32 degrees. I have killed timber rattlers evey month of the year in Bama.

ShotgunDave

Quote from: WyoHunter on April 25, 2011, 12:47:46 PM
I don't mind the non-poisonous ones but I kill the ones that can kill you!

This is the mindset that will lead to the extiction of these animals.  Those snakes can't kill you.  You'll get sick as hell but you won't die.

People are so uneducated about snakes.  They do way more good than harm.  Leave them alone.

And by the way, there's no such thing as a poisonous snake...they're venomous.

OLE RASPY

Quote from: ShotgunDave on April 25, 2011, 06:40:04 PM
Quote from: WyoHunter on April 25, 2011, 12:47:46 PM
I don't mind the non-poisonous ones but I kill the ones that can kill you!

This is the mindset that will lead to the extiction of these animals.  Those snakes can't kill you.  You'll get sick as hell but you won't die.

People are so uneducated about snakes.  They do way more good than harm.  Leave them alone.

And by the way, there's no such thing as a poisonous snake...they're venomous.
if u dont mind me asking then i must not know much about snakes so can you educate me alittle bit on why they shouldnt go extinct :lol:  For real give me some knowledge here bout snakes i have no clue, but to kill everyone.

Ruger M77

I carry a dove load for them suckers
I eat therefore I hunt

JELLYHEAD

Quote from: tiggere on April 25, 2011, 01:18:10 PM
Here in NC the cane brake and diamond backs are protected...I will kill the hell out of a copperhead/moccasin though...the others get a free pass and my recently ruined drawers dropped on them...LOL...

He doesn't look that old...how many rattles did he have?

they are starting to come out and I agree with others...if your in an area with the chance of running into one you need on snake boots...those shoes you have on ain't gonna stop them one bit...I was told by many that they would hit you around the ankle to 6" up on the boot...mine are up to the knee and I would still like them to be higher...:P
[/quote                                                                                                                                                           

I was told by a guy from Opp Rattle Snake Round-up if  they are looking up they will strike above your boot. Those crazy guys line em up & race em. Only in Alabama I guess... ;D

tiggere

Quoteif u dont mind me asking then i must not know much about snakes so can you educate me alittle bit on why they shouldnt go extinct :lol:  For real give me some knowledge here bout snakes i have no clue, but to kill everyone.

A balanced ecosystem is alot more fickle than most people realize...it doesn't take much to throw it off but takes many many years for it to balance back out...if snakes went extinct then the mouse/rodent population would get out of control and could lead to the plague (worst case senario)...here's one thats closer to home for us...in Alabama about 7 years ago they had a very good turkey population...I mean VERY good...well a few things happened...the predator population exploded...all of a sudden there were more coons, possums, fox, bobcat, and coyotes...then the state comes in and sprays the pine trees to kill the pine beetles...well I don't know which hit the turkey the hardest but it has still not rebounded to where it was when I first started going down to hunt...now you have all the predators with a limited food source...so the coons and possums move into the towns to eat trash and the fox, bobcats and coyotes start devastating the quail...and then they go onto the rabbits...when all the food is gone the predators either die off or move on to different areas...the wildlife affected will take a long time to recover from just that one incident...

Snakes are the same way...they serve a purpose and "usually" will go out of their way to avoid humans...remember...you are in THEIR home...they are not in your hunting area...alot of things eat baby snakes and they do not reproduce all that quickly...the Canebrake (aka Timber Rattler) and the Eastern Diamond Back usually give fair enough warning to avoid...not to mention a good pair of snake boots (and chaps if your a wuss like me) is pretty much a requirement if your in rattler country...

Another thing to keep in mind (as mentioned above) more than likely you will only get sick if you are bitten...then reason for this is the snake can control if he is going to bite and inject venom or if he is going to "dry bite"...this is when they just bite (with fangs) and do not inject venom...they do this because you are not a food they want to eat...they are just trying to get you away from them and they know their venom is too precious to waste...this is usually the case when humans get bitten but due to the tubes containing venom they do get a very small dose...if you mess around with it and piss it off its probably gonna hit you with everything its got...so they are best given a wide berth...

hope this helps...

allchokedup

Dang! I hate them sneaky suckers. Glad you killed that thing. I don't care if they do some kind of good or not...I'd rather have a bazillion frogs than one snake that can bite you and make you sick.
Sorry...just the way I feel about that.

SinGin

So does a rattel snake tell you if he just dry bit you??