OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Well, CRAP! Gonna need some luck

Started by wvmntnhick, August 27, 2018, 09:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

So, tweaked my back about 6 weeks ago trying to move a hot tub at a customers house. Between service calls and building pools, I pushed through it thinking it'd get better in time. This is the 4th-5th time it's been bad in 3-4 years. Generally, few trips to the chiropractor and I'm on the mend. During this time frame, I'd had a short window where things looked semi promising. Unfortunately, it was a very short window and I finally broke down and went to urgent care. TWICE! Both times resulted in muscle relaxers and steroids and one resulted in a steroid shot of sorts that did diddly for me. Sciatica at its worst right now and lemme tell ya, it's no joke fellas. Ended up going to my physician and he sent me to a neurologist, neurosurgeon, neurologist-something. Guys about 85% he's cutting me open Wednesday and this is without seeing an MRI. Going back for that tomorrow but he's pretty sure based on the current symptoms that nonsurgical methods aren't gonna cover it. Good news, new methods should have me back to "normal" in a couple weeks. Just in time to get back in shape for Colorado's second rifle season. It'll b nice to turn this around and pack out my first elk or mule deer.

When/if it happens to ya, get to a professional fast. I've got nerve damage that may be irreversible. My right foot has been completely  numb for 2 weeks. There's no reflex reaction in the foot whatsoever and barely any at the knee. Learning more of life's lessons the hard way. Pay attention to your body gang. It'll let u know when it's had enough. Not looking for any type of sympathy but if y'all would throw a prayer out there (given past decisions, don't necessarily deserve them) should it cross your mind, I'd greatly appreciate it. As would my daughters and their mother. The three of them are a touch worried about "daddy" at the moment. Students in my classroom caught wind of it as well. Some are worried. Probably more about who the sub will be than my absence but the notion is still warming. Lol. Thanks gang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

I truly wish you the best, I know all about back and nerve pain, had my last car accident back in 2001 and have been living with it since. I have the foot that feels weird, right outer quadriceps that is completely numb and can feel like somebody is shoving screwdrivers through it (neuropathy) and right foot can be the same at times. I have premature nerve damage (neuropathy) to left foot but that is from wreck back in 88 that feels the same as the quad mentioned above. I thank God I can do stuff again.

Truth be told none of us deserve prayer, that is why it is such and incredible gift from God. I just said one for you. Heal well bud.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

bbcoach

It's probably sciatica from spinal stenosis at L4-L5.  I had the same thing happen about 6 years ago.  It started in my left butt cheek and worked it's way down the outside of my left leg.  Tried a chiropractor for about a year but really only got temporary relief.  Finally went to my doctor, he sent me for an MRI and x-rays and on to a neurosurgeon.  The vertebra at L4-L5 had narrowed and was pinching the nerves that ran down each leg.  The surgeon did a laminectomy/fusion at L4-L5 over 2 years ago and I've been doing well since.  Expect a few days in the hospital recovering from the surgery and 6 weeks of recovery at home.  Don't over do it during recovery and heal.  Should be good to go.

wvmntnhick

Way he's talking, it's probably gonna be a "decompression" surgery instead of a fusion. It's all speculation until MRI results are in but instead of fusing it together, they basically tunnel out the bone that's pinching the nerve. It's minimally invasive and he as well as some people I've spoken to all mention that it's like a magic bullet. The relief is almost instantaneous and they're back to work in 2 weeks. Lady I teach with was back to work in 2 weeks with same procedure. She worked 2 half days to ease back into it but after that she was good. Now, it's gonna def put a damper on my pool closing abilities and moving of hot tubs for a bit longer but it's much quicker than the fusion. Again, assuming that's the case.

bbcoach

Had a lady that goes to our church that had decompression surgery done as well.  She got some temporary relief but only short term.  She complains to my wife that she is still in a lot of pain but I'm not sure if it's because the surgery didn't help much or she just has a low pain tolerance.  I'm sure the MRI will tell the surgeon more and whatever avenue he takes I hope you get long term relief.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: bbcoach on August 28, 2018, 03:18:30 AM
Had a lady that goes to our church that had decompression surgery done as well.  She got some temporary relief but only short term.  She complains to my wife that she is still in a lot of pain but I'm not sure if it's because the surgery didn't help much or she just has a low pain tolerance.  I'm sure the MRI will tell the surgeon more and whatever avenue he takes I hope you get long term relief.
That's the hopeful plan at the moment. Thanks for the heads up bud. And thanks for the well wishes.

Mtd69

hope all goes well and you have a quick full recovery

Gawhitaker

Will be praying that God guide the physicians, comfort your family, and provide a quick full recovery for you.

NCL

Hope tou have a speedy and easy recovery.

daddyduke

Will be praying for you and your family.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Sixes

Prayers and well wishes for you and your family

wvmntnhick

MRI is complete. Fella there said he couldn't tell me anything without getting in trouble. Had him shut the door and we talked a minute. Last thing he said was it's a good thing I'm going back to the neurosurgeon today. So now, we're waiting to hear from the good doctor himself.

wvmntnhick

And it's confirmed! Surgery tomorrow.

RutnNStrutn

Wishing you the best. I feel your pain, literally!! I've had 2 surgeries each on both shoulders, and still need a total shoulder replacement on my left shoulder. Being in pain all the time stinks. So I wish you the best, and will be praying for a quick recovery for you.

SteelerFan