Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What to do for a memory of my first turkey?

Started by Life of Riley, August 21, 2018, 01:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life of Riley

I got my first turkey this spring and would like to make a little something to remember the occasion. I have his beard and his spurs, unfortunately during the night a creature stole his tail fan out of the barn. Any good ideas for what to do with a beard, spurs, and I have a nice picture too.

Thanks in advance

Riley

LaLongbeard

You can buy or build a wooden plaque that holds the beards and start a spur necklace. After last season I started making a spur necklace for each year and a plaque for the beards from that year. Still working on getting the previous seasons separated by year.I attach the tag if that state has them or a piece of leather with year/date etc. wrote on it.  I keep every tail fan and they do pile up but don't take up much room.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

LaLongbeard

Someone here had the idea of using folder file racks to display the tail fans they work well and can hold 8-10 fans and saves wall space
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Sir-diealot

Congratulations on your first turkey. You said you had a picture, I would look around to see if you can find one similar to it and mount them on a plaque of some sort. I can't remember who it is here but he makes incredible displays for them.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

daddyduke

Put what you have with the story of the hunt in a shadow box display.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

captpete

Quote from: daddyduke on August 21, 2018, 04:41:03 PM
Put what you have with the story of the hunt in a shadow box display.

I did something like this for the wife on her first bird. I put the shell, a breast feather and the beard(no spurs....it was jake) in with the picture.

104_3202 by K Pete, on Flickr

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

greencop01

I keep the empty shell and write a synopsis of the hunt, the weather, temperature, who I was with  and fold it and roll it and insert it in the shell and put it in an antique wooden tool box w/all my turkey calls.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Phillipshunt on August 21, 2018, 01:38:49 PM
Someone here had the idea of using folder file racks to display the tail fans they work well and can hold 8-10 fans and saves wall space

Works great, I started these a few years ago. I wall hang them too.

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

For a first bird might try do something a little special, I understand with losing fan...

So you could have photo engraved to wood or glass and hang spurs with beard and use shotgun shell as holder.

I had a board engraved like this for a "special" bird.

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Cove

File holder racks. . . . that'll be done soon! Awesome idea.

Sir-diealot

I have yet to get a turkey but I got my first deer mounted and I still have the shell that was used to hill him with and I intend to get my name, the date, and the make and model of the shell put on a plaque and put it under the mount. I kept the arrow from my first archery deer as well and have to hang it on the wall.

John Koenig:

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Cove on August 23, 2018, 01:38:40 PM
File holder racks. . . . that'll be done soon! Awesome idea.

Thanks!

Got the idea for these as I was selling Fans & Wings at shows for setting up DSD Strutter Decoys, I had my "White Headed" DSD on Display and needed a way to hold the extras I sell. Was at WallyWorld when I seen them and it just struck me (That'll work moment) and they are inexpensive. I have made a faceboard for the rack to cover the wire for a few of my displays.

MK M GOBL