OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Calling In Spring Gobblers Before The Opening Date On Land With No Hunting.

Started by quavers59, July 21, 2018, 12:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

I am thinking of doing this next Spring as there is plenty of State Land in my area where Hunting is not allowed. Plenty of Hiking Trails though. Might do some filming with my smartphone .  Anybody else do this?

dejake

Roost 1

Tail Feathers

If you can, go for it.  It's a great chance to practice calling and observe and learn more bird behavior.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Happy

I call to the turkeys behind my house regularly. I don't hunt them but they give me a good barometer on whats going on so to speek. The neighbor boy hunts them but he hasn't been too successful.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

NCL

Quote from: Happy on July 21, 2018, 09:03:19 PM
I call to the turkeys behind my house regularly. I don't hunt them but they give me a good barometer on whats going on so to speek. The neighbor boy hunts them but he hasn't been too successful.

I sit on my back deck and do the same thing. It is great practice on real birds.

GobbleNut

With birds that can't be hunted by anybody, call to them all you want to.  For birds that you are going to hunt, there is nothing good that can come out of calling to them before the season.

Dr Juice

Quote from: GobbleNut on July 22, 2018, 03:29:15 PM
With birds that can't be hunted by anybody, call to them all you want to.  For birds that you are going to hunt, there is nothing good that can come out of calling to them before the season.
Agreed.

GobbleNut

Here's an idea for anybody that is in a situation where they can call to turkeys that are not hunted.  Do this experiment:  Go out and call to those turkeys on several occasions and take note of how their behavior changes.  Or even better, call them in and then scare the heck out of them when they get there,...and then try to call them in again,...and again.  Do that on a number of occasions and you will very soon learn why it is best not to call in turkeys you are going to hunt before the season.   ;D
:newmascot: :newmascot: :newmascot:

ShootingABN!

RutnNStrutn

^^^ :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

But if you're not going to be hunting these birds, go for it!! Great practice, and good filming opportunity also.

renegade19

It's illegal here but I'd do it if it were legal.  Always fun to call birds even if you're not going to whack one!

PharmHunter

This ^^^

Thanks GobbleNut

Happy

It's been my experience that calling in and of itself has minimal impact on turkeys. It's the extra curricular stuff that changes things. I won't call to birds I intend to hunt other than in a few select scenerios. Course I won't even go on the woods the two weeks before season. Enough idiots running around calling AND GETTING BUSTED by birds at that time. As for the neighbor, I couldn't care less about his hunting experience. He has been caught hunting my property once, left a dead doe that he supposedly couldn't find. ( less than 150 yards from his baited tree stand) and leg shot a buck at 70 yards with a crossbow that my neighbor on the other side had to put out of its misery a month laterwhen it was limping through their small field. They are ex -Amish and they fit the mold perfectly. Kill everything you can and then whine when it's gone. There is absolutely no thought of conservation in their head.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Dr Juice on July 23, 2018, 05:12:22 AM
Agreed.
X3 Completely agree, one of the first things I ever learned.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."