Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Calling In Spring Gobblers Before The Opening Date On Land With No Hunting.

Started by quavers59, July 21, 2018, 12:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

To each his own. I will NEVER call to birds that i am going to hunt until its go time. Birds that no one can hunt , well knock yourself out. Turkeys are not smart , they just have a knack for survival. Most know we are reversing nature by calling one in. They catch on quick. As posted above , go fool with them and watch how they become more and more difficult to call in. It would be enjoyable to have turkeys to fool with that no one is hunting for sure.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

TauntoHawk

It used to be legal and I had a 299 acre park with no hunting that had a flock of about 45 birds that roosted in the park and spent their days at back yard feeders.

I'd go in a observe them more then try and call them close, mostly wanted to view their interactions off fly down with each other but I would "test" calls occasionally even those birds that you had to pretty much chase off the road to drive through didn't come running in at the first Yelp. They had piles of hens with them and although they didn't fear gobbling their heads off changing their minds about where they wanted to be wasn't much easier then a full wild bird.

My take aways were not often what made them gobble but how I interacted and effected the hens and what that did for the gobblers, talking with the hens was more beneficial.

I still go and observe them from time to time but no longer carry calls as the laws about it have changed. It's really great in a large flock to see how the dynamics change between boss birds, sub dominant Tom's, and jakes throughout the lead up to spring.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

GobbleNut

Quote from: TauntoHawk on July 25, 2018, 09:03:48 AM
I still go and observe them from time to time but no longer carry calls as the laws about it have changed.

This makes me wonder why, in a place that hunting is not allowed, there would (or could) be a law against calling to a turkey there?  Laws like that are essentially unenforceable, as well as ridiculous.  I suppose free speech laws do not apply when speaking in "turkey"... ;D :toothy12: :toothy9:

Bolandstrutters

I've got a ridge behind my house that consistently hold 4-6 gobblers every spring.  It's property I don't have permission to hunt and doesn't get turkey hunted as far as I know.  I practice on those birds every spring.  A lot of the times I can pull them right into my back yard.  I don't see any issue with practicing on birds that can't be hunted.  It's a great way to learn without fear of messing things up.