Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

what do you gain w/long box? also - ask here or in the box call forum?

Started by Marc_Stokeld, May 21, 2018, 08:53:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc_Stokeld

in the real world of turkey hunting, what do yoiu really gain by adding the long box? i am not talking about call contests, your hunting room at home, getting together with turkey hunting buds ion the off season, or anywhere else lkike that. i am talking about using a long box out in the woods on a spring morning during turkey season.

if you have a 2-3 pots, a short box, and maybe a push pin thrown in for good measure, what roll is filled when buying a long box? is it strictly volune?

are the wood choices that you like in shrt boxes transfor to long boxes?

Bowguy

Personally I'd carry a long box and scratcher for wood. The long box seems to reach out and grab em. I've called birds in w a short box so far off I could see them gobble to me and not actually hear em but more often than not the longbox is the one striking/calling far off birds.
Imo a long box is just a better call most often.
You can gobble better, you can kee kee, the yelps break better

wvmntnhick

In the spring I see no real benefit of a long box over a short personally. In the fall they tend to do a better kee-kee than a short box and u'll generally find more feathers in a long box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeymanjim

You definitely get more volume with a long box. I carry a a long box hunting all the time, but they r a pain to carry in your vest. I think u get a higher pitch yelp and cutts  with long boxes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

packmule

The longbox is more versatile than a shortbox.  I only carry a longbox and a scratch box and rarely use the scratch box.  There is definitely some overlap in choices between long and short boxes, but in general it's hard to beat a butternut body in the longbox, poplar, mahogany and walnut are good too.

TauntoHawk

I'll go against the grain although I have some very high end long boxes I prefer a short box hands down.

Not only are they much more convenient to carry and easier to run. I have several short boxes I think are just as loud if not louder.

A long box does have a wider range of sounds from high to low that it can run but I think whatever a short box is tuned for it does better then the long box at that same range. I often carry two short boxes over a longbox or a longbox/shortbox combo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Spitten and drummen

Try a henbox . I will take one of these over a long box anyday. Great volume and can get just as many hens out of one of these as any long box. easier to pack and gives you a completely different sound than any cost style box or long box.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on May 21, 2018, 03:38:38 PM
Try a henbox . I will take one of these over a long box anyday. Great volume and can get just as many hens out of one of these as any long box. easier to pack and gives you a completely different sound than any cost style box or long box.

I have not run a hen box but should, maybe I will trade one of my longboxes off for one
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

JonD.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what is a henbox?
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:30-31

Hooksnhorns

Quote from: JonD. on May 21, 2018, 09:57:29 PM

It is a turkey killer...
Don't Tread On Me

JonD.

And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:30-31

Greg Massey

For me a long box has more turkeys in the box....short box has less...

paboxcall

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 22, 2018, 07:18:50 PM
For me a long box has more turkeys in the box....short box has less...

That's it. And it can work from a long distance to right up close.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

sixbird

Quote from: JonD. on May 21, 2018, 09:57:29 PM

Hen boxes are made by Richard Hudson, Morgan, fulkerson, Whitt. Probably a few others. If you search Hudson Hen Box you should find some...

JonD.