OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

what do you gain w/long box? also - ask here or in the box call forum?

Started by Marc_Stokeld, May 21, 2018, 08:53:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

Quote from: JonD. on May 21, 2018, 09:57:29 PM
Quote from: Spitten and drummen on May 21, 2018, 03:38:38 PM
Try a henbox . I will take one of these over a long box anyday. Great volume and can get just as many hens out of one of these as any long box. easier to pack and gives you a completely different sound than any cost style box or long box.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what is a henbox?
They are deep and narrow and about the length of a short box often with a handle, they do not use a spring under the paddle so you tilt the lid a bit like a long box

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

culpeper

Well, I might ask, why carry 3 pot calls, or a push pin?...similar thought can apply to a longbox and a shortbox.  Both boxes, as well a hen box can be very effective depending on the birds, the day, the breeding period, the weather and so forth.  Presuming one knows how to run both a LB and a SB, a LB is and always will be louder than a SB, but that is NOT the reason I carry both, nor the reason I might choose to run a LB versus a SB at any given moment on the hunt.  They simply sound different than each other, in a similar manner a slate sounds different than a glass pot call.  It offers diversity in sound to the gobbler or to the hens and lends another tool in your call arsenal.

Agreed that a LB is not convenient to carry and there hasn't been a vest designed yet to carry one easily.  IF, you really spend a lot of time running each and exploring the sounds in each you will hear distinct turkeys...variances in clucks, yelps and gobbles.  There ARE more hens in a LB.  A LB is not for everyone that is for sure, but I propose like any other call(s) if you have confidence in it, or any call for that matter you are more likely to carry one, run it and be successful, thus that's what your take to the turkey woods.

I also like the fact that if you fall hunt, a LB will be your fundamental GO TO call.

JonD.

Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 30, 2018, 05:33:46 AM
They are deep and narrow and about the length of a short box often with a handle, they do not use a spring under the paddle so you tilt the lid a bit like a long box

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks! I did find a couple of YT videos showing them being ran and the difference between them and a regular short box. They sound good.
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:30-31

wchadw

Quote from: Marc_Stokeld on May 21, 2018, 08:53:55 AM
in the real world of turkey hunting, what do yoiu really gain by adding the long box? i am not talking about call contests, your hunting room at home, getting together with turkey hunting buds ion the off season, or anywhere else lkike that. i am talking about using a long box out in the woods on a spring morning during turkey season.

if you have a 2-3 pots, a short box, and maybe a push pin thrown in for good measure, what roll is filled when buying a long box? is it strictly volune?

are the wood choices that you like in shrt boxes transfor to long boxes?
A couple inches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hooksnhorns

Don't Tread On Me