OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Why the heck would you use a 20g for turkeys?

Started by 2eagles, May 13, 2018, 08:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wchadw

Quote from: 2eagles on May 13, 2018, 08:22:59 PM
Only asking because I'm thinking about trying it myself.  LOL
Don't know if I want a pump gun or a 20g barrel for my T/C Encore.
20 gauge will kill a turkey just fine. I killed may when I was a kid with my grandfathers old Ithaca

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

After a dozen Tom's in three years I'm convinced it's all your need.  Not that I'm against the 12 because I've broke out my old 12 ga this year and killed three with it. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Fatbeard

I quess it is all the rage. I purchased a Winchester sxp 20 turkey edition for my nephews or kids to use for next year. Me personally I will stick with the 12
East TN Beard Buster

LaLongbeard

There's only a one pound difference between a 20 and 12 870....I don't use/carry a decoy so I'm carrying less than most 20 gauge users. I've seen some impressive patterns with the TSS 20's but I hunt thick areas a lot and would rather have the extra pellets a 12 provides when you don't have a completely clear shot. And I've used the same 870 since I started and wouldn't want to switch now.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Dtrkyman

Pure and simple, I now tote a 5lb gun, to each his own but I laugh when guys have 7lb 20ga guns...with the hand loads my 20 throws patterns way out past my personal limit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WAGinVA

I switched to a 20 7 years ago.  First five years with Fed Heavyweight 7s and last two years with TSS 9s.  This combo has resulted in 20 dead birds and they all were very dead.  Most under 30 yards with one at 42.  I did give in to a FF3 when I switched to TSS, patterns are very tight and with a bead the POA/POI was off about 6 inches.  When the pattern is 350 in the 10" with 500 total in the 20"  you really do not want to be off 6 inches!!

spaightlabs

Any chance you guys who are looking to lug around 2 fewer pounds of gun could also lose a couple lbs from under your belt?    :funnyturkey:

Shoot what ya like regards,

Tracker12

20 gauge is effective but you will always get more pellets in the kill zone with a 12.  I shoot my 20 for almost everything but for turkeys I want all the advantages I can get so will stick with the 12. If I want to go light I can barrel my encore

bigbird

I killed my bird this spring with a SX3 20 ga .  It did a great job but it was on 12 yds away too. A 410. could've looked good at that range.

howl

Quote from: bigbird on May 14, 2018, 09:41:40 AM
I killed my bird this spring with a SX3 20 ga .  It did a great job but it was on 12 yds away too. A 410. could've looked good at that range.

I've seen .410 patterns that beat 3 1/2" 12ga patterns. That's great .410 vs bad 12ga, but it's still food for though.

daddyduke

I've always tried to use the right tool for the job. 20 gauge is the right tool for turkeys in my opinion. I've seen no downside.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

bghunter777

To each their own I'v hunted with both a 12 and 20 but find myself using the 12 90% of the time I personally had an instance this season and several in the past I wont talk about specifics but believe my 3.5 inch 12 resulted in a dead bird that with a 20 I would have been much less confident. I agree the 20 is easier to carry I sometimes put in 10 miles or more in a day on a new piece of public land when I don't know the area all that said as stated earlier my Remington 870 12 comes with me on most hunts.

Sir-diealot

As somebody that has had surgery on both shoulders within a year I can understand why somebody would want to reduce recoil. Lucky for me I did not have a problem with my 12 but it has made me rethink my desire for a 10
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Marc

Quote from: Ozarks Hillbilly on May 13, 2018, 08:27:40 PM
Biggest reason would be less felt recoil IMO.
I might disagree with that...

With the light-weight of many of the 20 gauge guns, I have found that a hot 20 gauge load has every bit as much recoil as a hot load in my 12 gauge, due to the heavier weight of the 12...  It depends on weight of the gun, the type of action (i.e. pump verses semi-auto) the loads being used, etc...

I took my wife duck hunting, and she remarked about the recoil shooting duck loads in her light gun, so I gave it a try, and was unpleasantly surprised by the recoil...

The reasons I would and do use a 20 gauge is due to the light weight and manueverability of the gun...  I use mine primarily for upland, and it is easier to carry and faster to the shoulder...

The reasons I would use one for turkey hunting are because it would be easier to carry, and more comfortable to hold in the ready position for longer periods of time...

Even with the improvement in loads, comparing similar type of loads and shells between the two gauges, the 12 gauge is generally going to produce better killing patterns out to longer distances...  However, from what I have seen with 20 gauge loads, they are more than an adequate weapon for the type of hunting I do.

Were I to start from scratch (having no turkey ammunition or chokes) I would create a 20 gauge turkey gun, and purchase the appropriate ammuntion based on the ease of carrying and hold the gun...

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Tail Feathers

Another 20 ga fan here.  I didn't even pull my 12 ga from the gun safe this spring.  The 10" numbers are about the same for me and the setups I have for each.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!