Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Why the heck would you use a 20g for turkeys?

Started by 2eagles, May 13, 2018, 08:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2eagles

Only asking because I'm thinking about trying it myself.  LOL
Don't know if I want a pump gun or a 20g barrel for my T/C Encore.

Happy

With the new shells it's every bit as effective as a 12. It's all in what you want to use.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Ozarks Hillbilly

Biggest reason would be less felt recoil IMO.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

howl

Because six pounds totes more easily than eight.

TauntoHawk

Because thats all the gun you need when set up right

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Harty

Lighter weight and when your older like me and walking in a ways to set up a few less ounces can make a difference. Plus it's enough gun with the shells they make nowadays with a proper set up

g8rvet

I know this is tongue in cheek, but what set me to thinking about it was a pinched nerve in my neck.  It is mostly healed and really, I fire so many 12 gauge shots (lighter loads) during duck season that a few rounds of sighting in and then if I am lucky 2 shots a season don't really amount to much. 

My main reason I love my little 20 (Weatherby SA 45) is I can hold it up and point it for a much longer time than my 12 without getting shaky.  Without a prop it just points so sweet and light.  Also with the shorter barrel, I have less issue with brush interference - both shooting and busting my way in to thick creek heads. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

yelpy

Quote from: howl on May 13, 2018, 08:33:09 PM
Because six pounds totes more easily than eight.
This

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

silvestris

My 20 gauge Rem. 11-87 weighs more than my 12 gauge Encore.  However, it does shoot three times without reloading.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

LRD

I love the light weight and don't feel under gunned with the new shells. It's pretty cool to reload your own shells too. My son and I will do 8 this year with 20 gauges. I see my 12 getting very lonely in the back of the safe.

Jbird22

Get an 870 with a 26" bbl and don't look back! After tagging out in MS with a 20 ga this year, I can tell you that I have no desire to go back to my 12 ga.

Buckman18

Chris O

Quote from: 2eagles on May 13, 2018, 08:22:59 PM
Only asking because I'm thinking about trying it myself.  LOL
Don't know if I want a pump gun or a 20g barrel for my T/C Encore.
I bought a Remington 870 in real tree hardwood with a 21 inch barrel this year and I like it but I would rather have your Encore in a 20 ga that's just me. They feel so sweet up against my shoulder. And a single shot is pretty quick to reload and most of the time you don't need an extra shot anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3bailey3

My third year with my 20, I wish I knew early how deadly they were, less weight,less recoil and just as dead as I want them at the range I want to kill one!

jryser

Quote from: Buckman18 on May 13, 2018, 09:52:54 PM
20 Gauges are for jakes.  ;)
And 25 pound toms with 11 inch ropes! 
https://youtu.be/TiuGBhBY_Jc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk