Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Why the heck would you use a 20g for turkeys?

Started by 2eagles, May 13, 2018, 08:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swenny

Quote from: g8rvet on May 13, 2018, 08:53:36 PM
I know this is tongue in cheek, but what set me to thinking about it was a pinched nerve in my neck.  It is mostly healed and really, I fire so many 12 gauge shots (lighter loads) during duck season that a few rounds of sighting in and then if I am lucky 2 shots a season don't really amount to much. 

My main reason I love my little 20 (Weatherby SA 45) is I can hold it up and point it for a much longer time than my 12 without getting shaky.  Without a prop it just points so sweet and light.  Also with the shorter barrel, I have less issue with brush interference - both shooting and busting my way in to thick creek heads.
Using a gun you truly like is fun.  Take it out to the turkey blind!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

CALLM2U

Like most, I grew up shooting a 20g as a kid.  (Rem 870) Then 'graduated' to a 12 gauge 870 Turkey Special.  I've used that gun for 20+ years but just started getting the itch to get the 20g  back out. 

I primarily hunt the mountains of VA and TN.  Even with the leaves off in early season, 35 yards is a long shot for me.  So the 20 is enough gun and it's a heck of a lot lighter for hiking up those crazy Appalachians.  It may see some time in the woods next Spring.

PharmHunter

Why would you shoot a 12 or a 10 is a better question, with today's loads. :)

Sir-diealot

Quote from: PharmHunter on May 16, 2018, 09:14:22 AM
Because I already own a 12 :D
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

spaightlabs

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 16, 2018, 09:56:26 AM

For the win!

When I ask my wife why she has so many pairs of shoes she asks why I have so many shotguns, so many turkey calls, so many different pieces of camo, so many pairs of boots, and more boxes of hevi turkey loads than I could shoot in 3 lifetimes hunting 3 states a year...

shoot what ya like. 

owlhoot

Oh come on, you know you want a new shotgun. Get a new 20 turkey killing special  :z-guntootsmiley:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: owlhoot on May 16, 2018, 05:26:37 PM

Oh come on, you know you want a new shotgun. Get a new 20 turkey killing special  :z-guntootsmiley:
Quite happy with this one, I am wanting to get it camo'd though but with the vehicle problem I am going to have to take care of that first. What I would really like is a new 30.06 I wish I had not let my friend talk me into the Remington 700 ADL and had gone for the mountain rifle DM I really wanted, I now know I prefer a clip fed.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

outdoorsmen

Quote from: spaightlabs on May 16, 2018, 03:10:52 PM

For the win!

When I ask my wife why she has so many pairs of shoes she asks why I have so many shotguns, so many turkey calls, so many different pieces of camo, so many pairs of boots, and more boxes of hevi turkey loads than I could shoot in 3 lifetimes hunting 3 states a year...

shoot what ya like.

Yell your wife she asks to many questions

High plains drifter

I have a 20 guage 11- 87, it's a great gun, and I've gotten 2 birds with it, but it doesn't have a sling.I really like a sling.

Greg Massey

Quote from: warrent423 on May 17, 2018, 12:25:15 PM
Because you are either one of these new millenial breed or you are one of the mid life crisis guys trying to fit in and be trendy ;)
I'm none of the above , but i have carried it all from early years of 10 gauge, 12 gauge, 20 gauge and 410... i'm no millennial breed which is the correct spelling and i can't pronounce that other word you spelled ... but anyway, i do enjoy my 20 gauge and 410 with these new chokes from Sumtoy customs and these Federal HW and Tss.... just having fun after turkey season... guys....

g8rvet

I have shot a 20 for dove, for literally longer than any millennial has been alive.  A sweet little O/U Winchester 101.  For 43 years now.  I just like shooting little guns.

But when it matters, like for geese a lot, and ducks a little, the 12 goes along. 

I would shoot a 28, but dang those things are expensive in the O/U as are the shells.  Have killed a pile load of dove with a 410 as well, just because I could.  Loved walking out of a dove field with as many or more birds than the big dogs carrying their high dollar 12 gauges and shooting a little 410.  It is all about the challenge to me.  I don't need them to survive, so I liked making it more sporting.  Don't hunt many dove anymore, they don't come here like they used to.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

RutnNStrutn

Since I've started traveling to hunt, and hitting mountainous states, I figure why carry around a 12 ga 3-1/2" land cannon when you can carry a 20 ga and shoot TSS. That's my plan starting next season.

g8rvet

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on May 17, 2018, 05:43:13 PM
Since I've started traveling to hunt, and hitting mountainous states, I figure why carry around a 12 ga 3-1/2" land cannon when you can carry a 20 ga and shoot TSS. That's my plan starting next season.

You will never regret it.  You will never think "dang i wish I had my 12", ever.

Plus it is fun to run into guys you know seeing the little popgun on your back and ask "What are you shooting????" in the same way they would say "What in the he77 is WRONG with you?".  Not that anyone has ever said that to me.   :funnyturkey:   They want to hold the muzzleloader and ask about it, but the 20 just gets looks that say "Have you lost your mind?"   Kinda funny.

I believe you were a witness to my duck taken with a muzzleloader, if I am not mistaken.  We will not discuss the species however. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

owlhoot

Because when a 10 year old asks you why you use that big ole cannon and also says can't you call them in close and kill em like me dad ?    :turkey2:

the Ward

If I was starting from scratch, I would be tempted to put together a 20 for turkey. I've got a lifetime supply of 10 and 12 gauge turkey loads and chokes, and 3 excellent turkey guns in those gauges, so I don't want or need to start over. I have been keeping an eye out though for a nice old savage double 20, so you never know. If I could swing it, I would have a new sweet 16 a5 browning and reload some hevi 7s for it. That would be one of my dream guns for turkey. I did buy a box of 20g longbeard 5s to try out of my little single shot stevens, but didn't have time to pattern before season.  Really curious as to how they will do!