turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Longbeard XR POI Issues!

Started by BDeal, May 10, 2018, 11:10:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDeal

I bought an 870 Express Supermag as a backup turkey gun and have been experimenting with Longbeard #5, 2 oz shells with both a Remington Superfull and Carlson .680 flush mount chokes. When the weather was cooler it seemed to shoot pretty straight. Now if I zero at 15-20 yards the pattern at 40 shoots way to the right regardless of which choke I use. I am so baffled. Any thoughts on this?

Could the barrel be bad?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

CALLM2U

I'd take a venture to guess your body is tired of shooting turkey loads and you're pulling them.   ;D

I'm not a big fellow, but I can only pattern a shot or two at a time.  They start going everywhere after that.

zelmo1

I shoot 3.5 longbeard #5's too. I shoot trap loads at 25 yards and get dialed in. Then I shoot 1 or 2big boys to check it. Nobody wants that kind of recoil sighting in. If you shoot too much then you will be all over the place. Make sure that your pattern is where you want it at 25, then you know its good out to 40. Once you get right at 25, puit the gun away. Try it cold at 40 the next day and it will be fine. I am 6'2" and weigh 280, and I even wince sighting in. Once its there, shooting at a live target takes the sting out of the recoil.  :z-twocents:  Al Baker

BDeal

Thanks guys. I'm not pulling them to the right as Ive tried this several times over the course of several days. If I zero at 25 I'm guessing I will be way left at 15.

spaightlabs

Quote from: CALLM2U on May 10, 2018, 01:17:01 PM
I'd take a venture to guess your body is tired of shooting turkey loads and you're pulling them.   ;D

I'm not a big fellow, but I can only pattern a shot or two at a time.  They start going everywhere after that.

:z-winnersmiley:

spaightlabs

Quote from: BDeal on May 10, 2018, 02:00:26 PM
Thanks guys. I'm not pulling them to the right as Ive tried this several times over the course of several days. If I zero at 25 I'm guessing I will be way left at 15.

I'm not sure what makes you think you aren't pulling them?

It happened several times over several days?

Yup - a flinch is a flinch is a flinch is a pull.

What do you mean by 'zero' are you shooting a sight/scope?

What happens when someone else shoots it?

Last year my buddy had an SBE2 that was 2 feet high and waaaaay left with turkey loads.   But only when he shot it. 

JMalin

Shoot a dove load at 15 and 25 to confirm it's the shell and not the shooter.

BDeal

I have 2 shotguns shooting 3.5 inch shells out of both. I shoot consistently straight with the other gun. I don't believe I'm consistently flinching with one and not the other. I've never had an issue in the past.

BDeal

And yes I'm using an adjustable sight

BDeal

And I'll try a light shell and see what happens. I hope it's just me but I'm not so sure about that

JMalin

Could be the barrel as well.  I've heard of some not being perfectly straight from the factory and throwing patterns off at longer distances.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Zero it at forty with your hunting loads then test it at 20.  It's gonna hurt, so do a little at a time.

deerhunt1988

Ive shot a ton of different turkey loads over the years and longbeard xrs are the only ones i can remember that had different POI left and right.Ive had loads shoot higher and lower, but for some reason the XRS would be off to the side a few inches.

renegade19

I hunted with the Longbeard XR #5 in the 3" and my 870 Express Super Mag for the first time this year without firing a test shot (Brother in Law gave me the first 3 I had and it's a long story) and killed two birds real dead, real quick.  One of the shots was at a distance that I wont mention too precisely for fear of opening that debate again.  Long story made short is they worked really, really well.  So well in fact that I went and bought some.  So, my guess is that it aint the loads. 

joey46

As a last resort tighten the barrel down with channel locks.  An 870 will do at least three clicks past finger tight.  Those that participate in pattern competition often do this.  Shooting off a Lead Sled will eliminate any flinch concerns.