OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Closest turkey kill?

Started by roverboy, May 03, 2018, 06:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

I have had a couple at 10 yards or so...  You shoot them that close, and their heads are pretty much vaporized.  They still flop...

I had one that came in behind me (crossing a creek), and I was on a large tree...  As he went behind the tree, I turned around (facing the bird and the tree) and he walked right under my gun barrel (I would have had to back up to shoot him).

My net gloves got caught in the trigger, and while trying to reposition my finger, the gun discharged (with the bird right under the barrel)...  It obviously rang the birds bell, and completely disoriented him momentarily, and he stumbled away from me...  He got a few yards out, and I shot him before he regained his composure.

The incident was a wake-up call to me as far as gun safety...  I was in my twenties, and cannot think of having an accidental discharge before that.  I realized I should have immediately taken the safety off once my finger was caught...  And I also realized I need to put safety before the harvest of a bird.

This season while taking my youngest out on the opener, three jakes came right to the edge of our leaf-net ground
blind (withing touching distance) and gobbled their heads off...  I had put my daughter down on a plush jacket for a nap while waiting for daylight, and tried to stir her to see the action...  She slept right through it, even with those birds litterally gobbling in our faces.

One of the birds was trying to poke his head up to peek over the blind to find that hen...  I am guessing if I had reached over and grabbed him, my little one would have woken up in a hurry with an angry jake in the blind with us...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

hotspur

Turkeyman

Tom with hen got behind me. I got the gun up pointing to my left and called them back. When he reached the bead I shot. Three feet from the end of the barrel.

DROCK

My first turkey hunt ever, at 12 years old, decided I wasn't set up in good spot but wanted to look around before I got up and moved. The gobbler was right behind me! I slowly turned and shot him as he was walking away at 10 yards. That was 19 years ago and still my most memorable turkey hunt.

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Yoder409

10-11 yards in spring.   8 feet in fall.

No blind.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

bobk

captpete

My closest was about 7-8 yds.
  One time I pulled the trigger on a Tom that was at about 15yd with a Jake standing with in arms reach of me looking at the Tom. I had the gun up waiting for the Tom to come out from behind a tree when the Jake came walking in from behind me. When the Tom came out all I had to do was put the bead on his head and shoot. That poor Jake just about turned inside out trying to get the heck out of there when the gun went off.

saltysenior

2 times at 5 yards.......amazing how close they will come when you are asleep :mask:

WiLL B

3ft from end of 30in barrel

Kylongspur88

7 or 8 steps. It wasn't pretty.

Upfold99

Flew off the roost towards me and almost flew past me. He made a hard right bank in the air. Felt the breeze off him when he came over my right shoulder. Hit the ground exactly where my gun was pointed. He flopped a few times. When I picked him up he was 6 steps from the tree. My best bird to date.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Upfold99

Quote from: Upfold99 on May 04, 2018, 09:26:11 PM
Flew off the roost towards me and almost flew past me. He made a hard right bank in the air. Felt the breeze off him when he came over my right shoulder. Hit the ground exactly where my gun was pointed. He flopped a few times. When I picked him up he was 6 steps from the tree. My best bird to date.

This was several years ago

bigbird

6 yds. It was my first bird

DocHolliday

12 ft. Foggy morning, tight spot. Thank God for a double barrel with an open choke!