turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Closest turkey kill?

Started by roverboy, May 03, 2018, 06:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozark Ridge Runner

About twice the length of my shotgun.. That bird swung way around to my left and ended up on the other side of a very small cedar tree.  I shot one other that was certainly no more than 5 yards.  He walked straight in behind a big tree and when he popped out he was probably 15 feet.

ShootingABN!

Quote from: MK M GOBL on May 03, 2018, 08:00:29 PM
My whole game is about killing them close, we are in the under 20 yard range and mostly 15-17 yards and in the 8-10 yard range with the bow! Now my closest ever was about 10ft, quite a story with it.

MK M GOBL

Tell us the 10ft story. ;)

zelmo1

About ten feet. I had the gun up and on my knee, the bird walked right to me and stopped right in front of the gun. Only movement was to pull the trigger. It was real ugly.  :OGturkeyhead:

Uncle Nicky

10 yards? Knocked one over in an extremely tight spot, maybe a 15 yard shot. When I went to pick him up, he got a second wind and took off running. Next shot missed him, but the last shot put him down for good. After it was all over, I just scratched my head and asked myself, "What just happened"? ???

owlhoot

7 steps.  ,1983
Single shot-HR 10 guage with a 36" barrel and  a load of 2's

bghunter777

I prefer them between 30-40 yards perfect range for my gun to have 100% effectiveness and still enough margin for error with my pattern. My closest is probably around 7-10 yards

jblackburn

about 6-7 steps. No blind, no decoys, just an odd situation and hunt. Oh, public land, too.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Cut N Run

6 yards in 1998.  I was up against a big oak behind a cedar that had been laid down from winter snows. No decoys.  He came in from my left strutting, looking for the hen he'd heard.  He jumped up on a downed log 15 feet in front of me & blew up into full strut at eye level.  It was beautiful.  As soon as he jumped down on the other side of the log, he blew up facing away from me and his fan covered his head. I got the gun up and when he came out of strut I busted him.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

idgobble

I've shot two at less than ten feet.  I think one of them intended to mate with me.

JMalin

I've had three total inside of 10 yards.  Nothing super close, but close enough.

tha bugman

Maybe 5 yards..... maybe......sure as heck wasn't further.... :funnyturkey:

Bowhunter123224

Closest for me was around 10 yards. I was sitting right on the edge of a a grassy old no longer in use for many years access road in a bend. he came right up the road at 10 yards i first seen him so I held tight and squeezed almost blew he neck in 2. Normally I have a take the first good shot within range rule so most of my turkey get it around 35-45 yards.

daddyduke

My closest was a fall hen that come in from behind me. She walked around the lay down I was setting against and turned right to me. My legs were stretched out and she was no more than a foot from my feet when I shot her.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Dtrkyman

I called one up a steep slope, I was standing against a large oak due to birds on this property liking to not come over a rise, it was so steep he was strutting and drumming inside 5 yards for a few minutes, I told myself as soon as I can see an eyeball I will shoot, took off the whole top of his head from eyeball up, gross! I think it was three steps when I shot!