OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My First Merriam!

Started by Coop1082, May 03, 2018, 05:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coop1082

Well fellas myself and two buddies flew into Washington two days ago to come get after some Merriams at Collville National Forest. Yesterday was an entire day of scouting in which we found multiple birds. Being from South AL we certainly were not ready for what this morning brought in the mountains of Washington. An hour into the morning myself and one of my buddies found ourselves an hour and a half into walking a cliff side chasing gobbles all over the place. We did get on one early and learned really quick like how different it is to set up on one on a steep ridge side. He gobbled to our left and walked what little bit of a bench there was ahead of us only to come in on our right at 15 yards and caught us with our pants down. The gobbling somewhat died down the next hour or so and when we finally decided to start making our way back down to go meet back up with our other buddies. On the way out we found one hammering across the valley on the exact road we were walking on. He gobbled at everything I threw his way and the rest is history. We followed the road up to within 70 yards of him, set up, gave him a few soft yelps and his head popped over the hill at 36 yards. Blessed is an understatement and I am on Cloud 9 about this one!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

nitro

Fantastic!!  That is a great hunt. I love WA State for turkey hunting!!  Congrats to you!!
Royal Slam 2008

POk3s

Sounds like an awesome hunt, great job!!! Keep us updated on the rest of your trip.  :turkey2:

zelmo1

SteelerFan

Congrats Coop! (nice scenery!!)

land cruiser

Great bird and a good story! Congrats!

tomstopper

Very nice. Congrats

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

roverboy

Congrats. Great scenery.
Listen for the gobble

Coop1082

Thanks fellas! It's been a blast so far!
CRUSADERS

[/img]

ElkTurkMan

Congrats to you on a awesome bird and a great hunt. Well done on the picture Merriams are beautiful birds and with that background it Makes all the better

boomer

Congrats!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Rio Fan

Congrats on a beautiful bird and your first Merriams!  :icon_thumright:

Coop1082

Couple more pics from a different spot lower down the mountain. Sorry for blowing you guys up with the pictures but I'm just beside myself about this hunt! And again thank you fellas for all the kind words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CRUSADERS

[/img]

FL-Boss

Good job Coop, nothing like the west!

stinkpickle

That is a sweet lookin' bird!!!