News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Stupid Question

Started by Sir-diealot, April 26, 2018, 06:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on April 26, 2018, 08:08:34 PM
Neat. Dont you just use the wing feathers for that.
I swear it took me longer to pluck one than if it took me all day to kill it. It was an experience to say the least..Quit that long ago. Somebody posted using wax. That looked easy..
Growing up I butchered hundreds of chickens and dozens of turkeys. Dunk them in a pot of boiling water and it loosens the feathers up tremoundously. Don't dunk it to long or you will just rip the skin when you pluck

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Sir-diealot

I swear it took me longer to pluck one than if it took me all day to kill it. It was an experience to say the least..Quit that long ago. Somebody posted using wax. That looked easy..
I am not sure which feathers you would use for that. I have never heard of using wax but it works on women's legs so why not on quills?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Happy on April 26, 2018, 08:27:31 PM
Growing up I butchered hundreds of chickens and dozens of turkeys. Dunk them in a pot of boiling water and it loosens the feathers up tremoundously. Don't dunk it to long or you will just rip the skin when you pluck
I remember my next door neighbor doing that, he did them to sell and he would dunk them in boiling water and then throw them in this spinning thing with all kinds of rubber "fingers" I will call them sticking out. Made quick work of both chickens and turkeys.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

1iagobblergetter

I grew up the same way minus the Turkey's. Tried the boiling water,but a bunch of the feathers still didn't want to come out. After the first one my family (pluckers)disappeared for the next one...Lol..

THattaway

Not a stupid question at all, only those that go unasked are. As Happy stated, a pocket knife will  do the job and I've used a small gerber on a pile of turkeys. I've also tried plucking and found it wasn't worth the effort, IMO. For years we skinned and gutted turkeys. These days I fillet the breast out using a fillet knife. I've save some thighs and legs (easy to just cut those off at the body) but have yet to be successful in cooking them to satisfaction. Not saying I don't think it's possible, just haven't gotten there yet. As for ducks, I fillet and save the thighs and legs. Mostly get wood ducks here and those double butter milk battered fried duck fillets and thighs/legs will simply make your eyeballs roll back in your head. Thighs and legs being the most flavorful. Good luck on the turkey. They were ghosts and haints for me for the first few years.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Sir-diealot

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on April 26, 2018, 08:39:05 PM
I grew up the same way minus the Turkey's. Tried the boiling water,but a bunch of the feathers still didn't want to come out. After the first one my family (pluckers)disappeared for the next one...Lol..
Funny how that happens isn't it?

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: THattaway on April 26, 2018, 08:50:08 PM
Not a stupid question at all, only those that go unasked are. As Happy stated, a pocket knife will  do the job and I've used a small gerber on a pile of turkeys. I've also tried plucking and found it wasn't worth the effort, IMO. For years we skinned and gutted turkeys. These days I fillet the breast out using a fillet knife. I've save some thighs and legs (easy to just cut those off at the body) but have yet to be successful in cooking them to satisfaction. Not saying I don't think it's possible, just haven't gotten there yet. As for ducks, I fillet and save the thighs and legs. Mostly get wood ducks here and those double butter milk battered fried duck fillets and thighs/legs will simply make your eyeballs roll back in your head. Thighs and legs being the most flavorful. Good luck on the turkey. They were ghosts and haints for me for the first few years.
I was invited to go duck/goose hunting by somebody I sold some old hunting equipment last year, could not do it because of the should surgery on my butt stock shoulder this year but hoping I can get up enough strength as I had same surgery on the fore stock shoulder in Jan. I am looking forward to it.

John Koenig:

richard black

Not stupid at all. Leave the gut knife home and use the Gerber or whatever your favorite knife is. A fillet knife works well. I breast the turkey out and remove the thighs and legs. After appropriate trimming of the thighs and legs, they can also be ground for burgers. After plucking your first turkey you will find out why most guys skin theirs after that. Feathers everywhere after 2 or 3 hours. But to each their own.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: richard black on April 26, 2018, 10:48:27 PM
Not stupid at all. Leave the gut knife home and use the Gerber or whatever your favorite knife is. A fillet knife works well. I breast the turkey out and remove the thighs and legs. After appropriate trimming of the thighs and legs, they can also be ground for burgers. After plucking your first turkey you will find out why most guys skin theirs after that. Feathers everywhere after 2 or 3 hours. But to each their own.
Thanks for the advise. The big thing for me is I always think of that lovely skin on the Thanksgiving turkey that I love so very very much that I can't imagine doing it without. Have to go, dog is hinting it is bed time.

John Koenig:

SteelerFan

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 26, 2018, 10:52:27 PM
Thanks for the advise. The big thing for me is I always thing of that lovely skin on the Thanksgiving turkey that I love so very very much that I can't imagine doing it without. Have to go, dog is hinting it is bed time.

Get that image of a fat / plump / golden-skinned butterball out of your head... it's not the same! (lol).

Skin it / filet it / chunk it into nuggets. You'll thank us later...

Best of luck!!!!

zelmo1

I smone the breasts and its the best"deli" meat I ever ate. I braise the legs and wings and it is also good. As to the knife, I am down to bare bones vest and lowest weight possible. The older and more beat uo I get, the lighter my vest gets. Weird huh  :funnyturkey:

tha bugman

I just wait until I get back to the house and do all my cleaning with a Rapala filet knife.  That way I can keep the meat cleaner and take immediately to The Boss Hen to wash and package.

Bowguy

To answer the question whatever old pocket knife you have is way more than sufficient.

To answer the arrow question yes you use wing feathers. Also another thing to note is when making arrows you need the feathers from the same wing side. Hence right wing or left wing feathers as noted on package. The old rule of thumb was a right hand shooter oughta shoot a left wing feather, either offset or helical if more trad stuff is used for best flight.
I've personally always heeded this advice but a few guys have experimented and say it matters not which. If that's the case than I'll stay left wing.
I'd also fletch all arrows the same, not mix right/left wing.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: SteelerFan on April 27, 2018, 12:00:11 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 26, 2018, 10:52:27 PM
Thanks for the advise. The big thing for me is I always thing of that lovely skin on the Thanksgiving turkey that I love so very very much that I can't imagine doing it without. Have to go, dog is hinting it is bed time.

Get that image of a fat / plump / golden-skinned butterball out of your head... it's not the same! (lol).

Skin it / filet it / chunk it into nuggets. You'll thank us later...

Best of luck!!!!
I guess it would be different, I imagine there is a taste difference as well.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: zelmo1 on April 27, 2018, 06:31:30 AM
I smone the breasts and its the best"deli" meat I ever ate. I braise the legs and wings and it is also good. As to the knife, I am down to bare bones vest and lowest weight possible. The older and more beat uo I get, the lighter my vest gets. Weird huh  :funnyturkey:
I tend to over due things but am of the frame of mind that it is better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. My friends poke fun at me for carrying a first aid kit even.

John Koenig: