OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Stupid Question

Started by Sir-diealot, April 26, 2018, 06:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Stupid Question should I just pack along the folding Gerber knife or bring the Wyoming type blade as well? Sorry I have no friends that hunt turkey other than one associate that I am not sure I trust anything he says. If it helps I intend to mount tail feathers and beard.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Dr Juice

It's not a stupid question, but I would leave the gut knife at home to save on the extra weight that it would add in your vest. Good luck.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Dr Juice on April 26, 2018, 06:37:30 PM
It's not a stupid question, but I would leave the gut knife at home to save on the extra weight that it would add in your vest. Good luck.
Thanks, I had a feeling that would be the answer, but I don't know everything, I only think I do so I thought I would ask. :D
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Dr Juice

Good deal. Knock 'em dead

1iagobblergetter

Agreed...Unless your trying to go all out Freddie Kruger on the thing.

Sir-diealot

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on April 26, 2018, 06:49:08 PM
Are we talking Jackie Earle Haley Freddie Kruger or Robert England Freddie Kruger? I am down with some Robert England slicing and dicing!

John Koenig:

Happy

I don't think that would do you much good on a turkey. A pocket knife is plenty to gut a bird.  I prefer a fixed blade and use the same knife I use for deer. I just switched over to a knives of alaska alpha wolf and I am in love. It's simple sturdy, dependable and not to big. Plus I am a big fan of the drop points.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 26, 2018, 06:52:21 PM
Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on April 26, 2018, 06:49:08 PM
Are we talking Jackie Earle Haley Freddie Kruger or Robert England Freddie Kruger? I am down with some Robert England slicing and dicing!
:z-winnersmiley: Robert England

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Happy on April 26, 2018, 07:16:48 PM
I don't think that would do you much good on a turkey. A pocket knife is plenty to gut a bird.  I prefer a fixed blade and use the same knife I use for deer. I just switched over to a knives of alaska alpha wolf and I am in love. It's simple sturdy, dependable and not to big. Plus I am a big fan of the drop points.
Nice looking knife. I have been trying to watch some videos on youtube on cleaning them but they all leave the legs and that just really bothers me. My understanding is that the legs can be done very nicely to make them tender and I want to do that.

John Koenig:

Happy

I save the whole bird myself. The legs and thighs are delicious if cooked correctly. Matter of fact my kids enjoy it more than the beast. I gave a fellow turkey hunter a plateful last year and he begged for the recipe. Just taking the breast seems wasteful to me. 

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Happy on April 26, 2018, 07:36:36 PM
I save the whole bird myself. The legs and thighs are delicious if cooked correctly. Matter of fact my kids enjoy it more than the beast. I gave a fellow turkey hunter a plateful last year and he begged for the recipe. Just taking the breast seems wasteful to me.
I agree, that is what bothers me about a lot of waterfowl hunters around here, they say just cut the breast out and chuck the rest.

It might sound odd but I would kinda like to study the insides as/after gutting it, I don't know why, I just like biology and would like to know more about how they work a little better.

John Koenig:

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 26, 2018, 07:41:19 PM
I agree, that is what bothers me about a lot of waterfowl hunters around here, they say just cut the breast out and chuck the rest.

It might sound odd but I would kinda like to study the insides as/after gutting it, I don't know why, I just like biology and would like to know more about how they work a little better.
If it's your first bird you should probably pluck the whole bird to break your voodoo curse...

Sir-diealot

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on April 26, 2018, 07:48:09 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 26, 2018, 07:41:19 PM

If it's your first bird you should probably pluck the whole bird to break your voodoo curse...
I am seriously debating to pluck or skin, my back will ultimately make that decision on that day. I make my own arrows, well fletch them on a Jojan fletcher and I would love to have a few with turkey feathers I got myself. I have never worked with feathers before, but would be cool to try out. Here are some I have done on my own.

John Koenig:

1iagobblergetter

Neat. Dont you just use the wing feathers for that.
I swear it took me longer to pluck one than if it took me all day to kill it. It was an experience to say the least..Quit that long ago. Somebody posted using wax. That looked easy..