turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How much do you pay for access?

Started by JMalin, April 15, 2018, 01:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMalin

Are you on a lease, and if so, how much acreage is it and what's the bag limit?  It's probably a Texas thing to ask (we don't have the public land a lot of other states do).

zelmo1

I have no concept of leases. We have mostly private land up here in New England. I knock on doors and check landowner reports. We just moved in here last August. I already have 9 spots to hunt, haven't gotten turned down once. I printed some 3x5 cards with all my info on them and give them to landowners, it puts them at ease. Name, address, phone #, email and vehicle info. Most people here will let you have access if you talk to them face to face. I got a local farmer first that everybody knows, Idrop his name and it's smooth sailing after that. Good luck, Al Baker

1iagobblergetter

I hunt my Brothers farm and a couple of his neighbors. Ive hunted the same places for almost 2 decades.I usually always give them anywhere from a hundred to a couple hundred dollars,drop off smoked whole chicken,pork loin,and also deer sticks. Also an appreciative and sincere Thank you. They tell me I don't need to do anything,but I let them know it's a small price to pay for great hunting and a years worth of memories and anticipation of my next season.

Spitten and drummen

Here IN Mississippi me and a buddy pay 6 grand for sole turkey rights on 1300 acres. Down here in the south you hunt public or lease land if you don't own any. Public land is way over crowded in my neck of the woods 7 days a week and a lot of out of staters. A lot of the non residents lease land here and pay some unreal prices , so you either compete or battle over public land. 
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Gamblinman

1000 acre lease in South Texas $1200.00 a year and $200.00 per turkey after 4.

North Texas and OK $200.00 a bird.

"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Happy

$250 a year for a total of about 72,000 acres. Lot of members on both leases though.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

SD_smith

Lots of public land in Western SD but if you want to hunt prairie turkeys in the western part of the state you've got to knock on doors. It's a 50/50 chance on most days. Usually slip them $50 or so with a handwritten thank you and on my way. They don't ask for anything. I just appreciate their kind gesture and at least like to give them a something to go get a nice steak dinner and some drinks with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sixes

I'm in a hunting club in West Georgia. There are 5 of us and we pay 1100 a piece a year for 408 acres. I am the only turkey hunter on the land. My Dad hunts with me at times but is not a member.

The 1100 covers dues, insurance, food plots and keeps the feeders full in deer season.

Georgia is  primarily  "pay to play or don't play" type of hunting environment. I do have access to a large plantation and a smaller club in mid GA that I do not pay anything to hunt, but that is rare in GA unless you want to compete with hunters on public land

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Sixes on April 15, 2018, 07:02:40 PM
I'm in a hunting club in West Georgia. There are 5 of us and we pay 1100 a piece a year for 408 acres. I am the only turkey hunter on the land. My Dad hunts with me at times but is not a member.

The 1100 covers dues, insurance, food plots and keeps the feeders full in deer season.

Georgia is  primarily  "pay to play or don't play" type of hunting environment. I do have access to a large plantation and a smaller club in mid GA that I do not pay anything to hunt, but that is rare in GA unless you want to compete with hunters on public land

Enjoy that while it lasts. I had a spot similar where I was the only turkey hunter until they saw pics of my dead Gobbler's. Before I knew it , everyone wanted to be a turkey hunter lol. Imagine trying to hunt 500 acres with 5 turkey hunters. Good luck.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

fallhnt

One roll of venison summer sausage to each.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

3bailey3

I have two lease here in Ms? One 500 acres for 500 bucks and the other 600 bucks for 1100 acres this year the smaller lease is paying off, before this I was in a club that had 5500 acres and paid 1000 bucks, it was good hunting until timber company cut all the trees

renegade19

Quote from: fallhnt on April 15, 2018, 09:23:41 PM
One roll of venison summer sausage to each.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Plenty of good public land turkey hunting here.  I do almost all of my deer hunting on private though. 
I use homemade deer jerky and fried crappie fillets.  Once in a while one of my land owners asks for a deer that he can take to the processer.  That's it for me. 

Sixes

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 15, 2018, 07:31:10 PM
Quote from: Sixes on April 15, 2018, 07:02:40 PM

Enjoy that while it lasts. I had a spot similar where I was the only turkey hunter until they saw pics of my dead Gobbler's. Before I knew it , everyone wanted to be a turkey hunter lol. Imagine trying to hunt 500 acres with 5 turkey hunters. Good luck.

Not to worried, they are fishermen.  We've had the lease for 22 years and they've never shown interest.

turkaholic

Zero, I am amazed how some areas of the country can have enormous amounts of public land and others none. Here in the liberal entrenched New England woods we have countless acres of productive state forests and management areas. I cringe at the thought of paying for access to hunt. You would think a state like Texas would have countless open spaces. Even in CT where my farm is ,has thousands upon thousands of state land options to hunt. New York has way more, crazy amount. I feel for people that have to pay for access, hunting land should be available to all or soon there will be no one hunting, and that would make Liberials way to happy.
live to hunt hunt to live

HFultzjr

800 acres for $175.00/yr. x 20 members.
Access year round for anything legal, bear, deer, turkey, etc.
4 wheel riding, mushroom picking, berry picking, pretty much anything you want within reason.
Maxed out at 20 members + sons and daughters under 18 free with paid member.
About 10-12 guys avid archery deer hunters, 12-15 during deer season. Handful during Turkey and small game. Only have about 3 or 4 guys hunting in the spring. Most days I have it to myself. We have a "waiting" list about 40 deep..........LOL. Only way you get in is if someone moves or dies!
:fud: :OGani: