only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How much do you pay for access?

Started by JMalin, April 15, 2018, 01:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorsmen

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 15, 2018, 07:31:10 PM
Quote from: Sixes on April 15, 2018, 07:02:40 PM
I'm in a hunting club in West Georgia. There are 5 of us and we pay 1100 a piece a year for 408 acres. I am the only turkey hunter on the land. My Dad hunts with me at times but is not a member.

The 1100 covers dues, insurance, food plots and keeps the feeders full in deer season.

Georgia is  primarily  "pay to play or don't play" type of hunting environment. I do have access to a large plantation and a smaller club in mid GA that I do not pay anything to hunt, but that is rare in GA unless you want to compete with hunters on public land

Enjoy that while it lasts. I had a spot similar where I was the only turkey hunter until they saw pics of my dead Gobbler's. Before I knew it , everyone wanted to be a turkey hunter lol. Imagine trying to hunt 500 acres with 5 turkey hunters. Good luck.
Id take those numbers! I only own 40 acres! Its like hubting in your backyard! Come deer season there is 2-3 guys on every 40 acrr parcel around me. Illinois is not all it was cracked up to be.

g8rvet

I have:

350 acres - only turkey hunter, no charge.  I get the land manager some stuff at cost whenever he wants it,  not very often.   I have killed 1-2 birds there per year for the  last 10-12 years.  Nothing in the past 2 years though.  Got some new landowners nearby that I think are shooting them in the fall.

125 acres - just got this year.  Called one in close, but he would not finish.  No charge.  Nice creek and surrounded by well managed land.  If he roosts in that creek, I have a good chance. If not, I move on. 

125 acres - deer hunting lease with family.  I don't deer hunt, so it is turkey for me.  We usually take 1-2 per year for the last 4 years.  It is all family, so if they kill one, I am as happy as if I killed it.  I have called in birds for most of the family members, there or elsewhere.  300 a year.  Pretty much a deer hunt for turkeys if they are not roosted right in the creek which runs through it.

Trying to get in to a 2000 acre lease with 20 members, few of which turkey hunt.  1150 the first year and 950 each year after. we will see if it works out.

The rest of my time is on public. 

Edit: I am in North Florida.  20 miles from georgia line.  South Florida is another world! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

BrowningGuy88

Leases run $8 to $10 per acre around here.

I own 115 acres and it adjoins 280 more my family owns. I also have access to two more places that are 600 and 900 acres. I have exclusive rights with a friend on those two places.

I count myself as very fortunate.

MK M GOBL

Most leases around here are $8-$12 and acre and most I have seen was $20... We have quite a bit of public and I also have access to 2000+ acres of private.

MK M GOBL

High plains drifter

quavers59

I only hunt Public land where I live in Orange County,NY. I am also just 18 miles from the New Jersey border.  I hunt a total of 4 Public land areas in New York and 3 Public areas in New Jersey. All are within 22 miles of where I live.   Easy to get away from other Turkey hunters.  I guess if I lived in Texas - I probably would not be hunting much if there is little public land.  Landowners in states like Texas should open up more land for hunters or there won't be too many hunters!!

g8rvet

States like TX, MS and South Florida and South Georgia the land owners have figured out what their land is worth and are charging what people will pay.  getting access to large tracts without a cash exchange is pretty rare these days unless you have lots of friends and family.  I know folks who hunt public because their family members are leasing big tracts out for big $$.  Can't blame them.   Does Holland Ware have any daughters? 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

dublelung

$3400.00 for 409 acres of different age class pine timber in South Mississippi lease.

High plains drifter

I can't believe these outrageous prices people pay to hunt!!!!! I might buy the guy a 6 pack old Milwaukee. I will never pay to hunt.Thats rediculas.

Sixes

Quote from: High plains drifter on April 17, 2018, 03:22:26 PM
I can't believe these outrageous prices people pay to hunt!!!!! I might buy the guy a 6 pack old Milwaukee. I will never pay to hunt.Thats rediculas.

That is a very bold statement and you must have no clue about hunting in the southeast.  If you really think that any of us enjoy having to pay for land, then you are wrong. It would be great to have free access to hunting land, but it is not readily available in GA. We have lots of WMAs but all the ones near me are way over pressured and way too crowded to hunt.

You seem to act like we are fools for paying but if you want good hunting and private land, you will pay if you hunt here.

So you would quit hunting if you had to pay?

dublelung

If public land isn't available you'll pay to hunt or you'll sit on the internet and read about it.

High plains drifter

MDSTRUTNRUT

EasternShore of Md is within 3 hours of Baltimore, Washington and Philadelphia so land leases are a way of life for most hunters.  In my area hunting annual leases USUALLY go for go for $10-$20 an acre for deer/turkey but some places go much higher.  If it has a good population of sika deer or good waterfowl then expect to pay $30 and UP an acre, not unusual to see $50-100 an acre or thousands of $'s per blindsite.   Then you have to buy liability insurance.   There is thousands of acres of public hunting both state and federal in the area but expect to have a few new hunting buddies often within site.   Now saying that there I do have some small parcel that are freebies that are friends, family or door knock properties(still happens but more rare).   The usual ham or turkey at Christmas/Thanksgiving  with venison, fish fillets offered is still WELL LIKED!    Oh yea almost forgot a few widows and elderly wives got some flowers for mothers Day      not kidding     LOL

Spitten and drummen

Lol. Different strokes for different folks. You pay to play around my parts.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Tail Feathers

I pay $835 a year for a membership on a 5200 acre lease with 42 memberships.   Some members have two so there is probably 35 guns on it.  It's timber company land and we now have probably 20 gas wells on it.  P
Love to hunt the King of Spring!