turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gun help

Started by POk3s, April 06, 2018, 11:44:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POk3s

I currently have a Remington m887 and I just flat out can't get it to pattern. I've tried for a couple years now. Yesterday I finally brought a big cardboard box down to the range along with my targets.

With the jellyhead maximum and Remington nitro 3 1/2 #5 I got a measely 15 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards

With my Carlson full choke and the same loads I got 29 pellets in my circle at 40 yards.

Last year I hunted with the Carlson choke and never missed a bird, but I think the jellyhead is giving me a tighter pattern.....the pattern is just low and left. Oh, and also this is with just the bead on the front. No scope.

Now I have killed turkeys with this gun....but I've missed a couple too. The majority of my pellets were low and left, which seems to not be uncommon with this gun. Another thing that's not uncommon is turkey guys not liking it much. I received the gun as a gift so I didn't do any research on it. I haven't been all that confident for waterfowl with it either.

SO I can either keep throwing chokes and loads at it, or get a new shotgun hahahaha. What would everybody recommend. Thinking about the Remington 870 supermag or one of the lower end mossbergs.

Thanks for any help you guys might throw my way!

taylorjones20

The Remington Nitro Shells are notorious for awful patterning.  Cheapest route would be to throw some LongBeard Xr's through it.

But a new gun is always fun :)
Alive only by the Grace Of God

austinc

I tried the Remington nitros a few years and was not satisfied at all, I'd definitely try some longbeard xrs and see what it'd do. I'm always up for a new gun purchase and you can't go wrong with the 870, mine loves the longbeard shells

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

POk3s

Okay, I'll try those first.

I tried the turkey loads by hornady a couple years ago and I remember they didn't blow me away either. I'll pick up some other loads and see what happens this weekend.

dutch@fx4

Buy a box of Winchester long beards in #5 and s box of federal flight control wad shells in number 5 shot. Use your factory full choke and z target 4x4 feet. Aim for the center and see what you get..never had good luck with Remington or hornady turkey loads

taylorjones20

Yeah the Hornady turkey loads and the Remington Nitros are probably the worst turkey loads available lol
Alive only by the Grace Of God

POk3s

Hahahaha imagine that. So you're sayin there's a chance! I'm sure it's my fault for only hunting one state for the first few years of my turkey career, buying a box every year of "cheaper stuff" and now that's what I've got in the box. Anything else to try besides longbeard that people have had good luck with out of Remington's?

Dtrkyman

Shoot at close distance first and make sure your sights are on, 5-10 yards max.  For the money the long beards will be tough to beat!  You can start with dive type loads first to get sight close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcoach

Grab some 3 1/2" Longbeard XR's 6's and give them a try through the Carlson.  I'm a Mossy 835 guy.  But the Remmy supermag is hard to beat as well.  Wally World normally has them in stock so slip by there and put them to your shoulder and see which one you like the best.  The 835 will shoot most shells well and there are plenty of chokes to choose from that will pattern extremely well.  Good Luck.

Bowguy

The longbeard advice is good if you want super patterns. If you want more forgivable patterns Winchester supreme or even the federal mag shok usually shoot decent for lead.

POk3s

Quote from: Dtrkyman on April 06, 2018, 12:06:44 PM
Shoot at close distance first and make sure your sights are on, 5-10 yards max.  For the money the long beards will be tough to beat!  You can start with dive type loads first to get sight close.

It's nothing but a bead on the front of my gun. No "sights" to speak of. It's quite the head scratcher when a gun doesn't hit where he barrel is pointed ???

Goodtimekiller

I always liked hevishot magnum blend over the longbeard, the patterns were similar but magnum blend always had better penetration. Sometimes with #5s a choke that is too restrictive can cause bad patterns. Like someone mentioned try your factory full choke and see what that does. The other thing you could do to compensate for the pattern is to get a scope to adjust the pattern to where it needs to be. Ive shot a scope for years and have shot birds running and flying, etc, i know some people talk bad about them but they make me keep my head down and with almost no magnification you can be on a bird in an instant. Before i used a scope I had a benelli that shot about a foot and a half high at 40 yds, i sold that thing. Also, you could adjust your front sight to adjust up and down.

SKFOOTER

That shotgun and those shells are both junk!! :turkey2:

bbcoach

Quote from: POk3s on April 06, 2018, 12:13:43 PM
Quote from: Dtrkyman on April 06, 2018, 12:06:44 PM

It's nothing but a bead on the front of my gun. No "sights" to speak of. It's quite the head scratcher when a gun doesn't hit where he barrel is pointed ???
Get some dove loads and shoot at 15 yards, if your POA/POI is off you will need a set of Williams adjustable sights or Red dot or Scope and correct it.  With todays chokes and loads you need a gun that will shoot POA/POI with no guessing.  By the way, many shotguns don't shoot POA/POI.

pabossie255

My last 11-87 newer one did the same thing just about even with long beards and my barrel deep cleaned shot the densest part of the pattern 4 inches right at 20 yards that gun went out the door and bought a different brand as it did not compare to my old 11-87.