turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gun help

Started by POk3s, April 06, 2018, 11:44:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daddyduke

I had an 1187 that POI was off with Remington and Winchester shells but Federal shells were right on. Not saying buy Federal but just try a few brands first.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Meatseeker

For as much as you have spent on ammo and chokes, never mind the frustration, go pick up a used Remington 870 for $150.   Give it your own custom spray paint job. Try shooting some hevi-shot magnum blend or #6's, or Winchester Longbeards out of either of the chokes you mentioned.  Don't worry about getting a 3.5" magnum.  The extra recoil is not worth the minimal gain in pattern density.  A standard Remington 870 should be easily capable of putting at least 100 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards without really trying hard.

Good luck.  Trade in the Rem 887 and move on.

wade

I would try fiber optic sights that clamp to the rib.
Do it outdoors

J.D. Shellnut

Adjustable sights or a scope. If it doesn't shoot where you want it to make it do it!!! lol
60% of the time it works every time!

pabossie255

I would have went the adjustable fiber optic sights if mine was a turkey gun only but I use mine on geese and ducks also so a single front fiber optic sight works best if it's hitting where it should. When you pay the amount a Rem 11-87 cost you should not have to worry about it hitting 4" to the right at 20 yards.

Bowguy

I've been doing this a long time and as often as not guns do not hit w turkey loads exactly where you aim. I've had guns pattern straight w target loads and buckshot only to shoot off to one side w turkey chokes and loads. For $20 the Williams sight advice is good

mikejd

Remington Nitros should not even be considered ammo. That ammo is plain old garbage. I cant believe they still make them.

captpete

Can't help you with the 887. My 870 patterns better with 3" shell over 3 1/2"ers. It also likes 5's better than 6's. Look at Winchester XX and HV loads. They are very good shells. Longbeards throw a great pattern at 40, but at 15-20 they are VERY tight. If you are having POA/POI issues, Longbreads might not be what you want at close range. In my 870 with a Jellyhead .660(old style no green) I have a softball size pattern at 20yrds. I just patterned a Carlson .670 non-ported with Longbeard 3" 1 3/4oz 5's & 6's. I was getting a vollyball size pattern at 15yrd. and a VERY even 20" pattern at 40yrd.

Spitten and drummen

I would re home that gun and get a replacement. Just my 2 cents
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

High plains drifter

Quote from: daddyduke on April 06, 2018, 02:30:12 PM
I had an 1187 that POI was off with Remington and Winchester shells but Federal shells were right on. Not saying buy Federal but just try a few brands first.
I have two 11 87's, and you are right.They shoot better with federal amo, I don't know why.

surehuntsalot

stay away from the hornady and the Remington nitro's 
2 of the worse shells out there
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

POk3s

If anyone's curious, this is what I've done...Since I'm far removed from turkey country my local sporting goods store only had a few options. The federal stuff was sold out, so I bought Winchester double x in 5 shot and then took out a loan to buy some heavy shot. Kidding of course but dang that stuff is expensive...especially for 5 shells. The double x had a comparable pattern to the rest. Low and left. The heavi shot was low. Both of them shot better (I felt) with the carlson's choke over the jelly head maximum. This was also done at 40 yards because that's where I had shot before and I wanted to be able to compare. Aiming at the dot of course. I'll add up the pictures. Of the two latest groups. Quite the pain!