OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A little situation *all opinions welcome*

Started by AC HAMMER, April 05, 2018, 11:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meatseeker

Quote from: Gamblinman on April 06, 2018, 11:08:15 AM
Loose dogs on my property are shot on sight.

Nobody should trespass with their dogs....  But accidents happens....

Shoot my dogs for simply trespassing....  you'll end up cold and stiff.

catdaddy

True story--- I know a guy that shot a couple of coon dogs one night. He didn't think it through. He also raised purebred black angus cattle. Somehow some poison go into the salt lick container and he lost a number of cows.  Actions have consequences. You don't mess with a man's wife, kids or dogs--not necessarily in that order. 

davisd9

Quote from: catdaddy on April 06, 2018, 05:25:22 PM

True story--- I know a guy that shot a couple of coon dogs one night. He didn't think it through. He also raised purebred black angus cattle. Somehow some poison go into the salt lick container and he lost a number of cows.  Actions have consequences. You don't mess with a man's wife, kids or dogs--not necessarily in that order.

Sounds like low down jack legs that trespass and hurt a man's living. I am not advocating shooting dogs on sight but at least his cows were in his property. If they were my cows someone would be wishing they never ran the dogs to begin with. With technology today it is not hard to know where your dogs are and to get them where they are supposed to be. If you do not have enough land to run them on then do not run them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Ozark Ridge Runner

You tough talking guys might end up pushing up daisies next to your dog if you threaten a mans life.  Some folks take that threat seriously and will defend their life or physical well being at your expense.  Would you really commit murder over a dog?

Meatseeker

Quote from: Ozark Ridge Runner on April 06, 2018, 05:36:56 PM
You tough talking guys might end up pushing up daisies next to your dog if you threaten a mans life.  Some folks take that threat seriously and will defend their life or physical well being at your expense.  Would you really commit murder over a dog?

Would you really kill somebodies pet for crossing on to your property?

Tolerance goes a long way.

mikejd

Quote from: Bigeclipse on April 06, 2018, 07:48:17 AM
Quote from: AC HAMMER on April 05, 2018, 11:17:44 PM
So tonight as I was letting the dog out to go the the bathroom I couldn't help but notice the sound of what seemed like 2-4 coon dogs running across my property. My property consist of roughly 100 acres with 2 fields and 2 sets of hardwoods. Now the problem with this is the dogs were running straight through where I know for a fact turkeys are roosted and have already heard them gobble earlier this week. So I have 2 thoughts/concerns and I would like to share them and see what you guys think.

1.) I understand dogs do not know where property lines are and they were just doing what they are trained to do; however I'm not real happy that the owners did not get the dogs but for about 45 minutes to an hour of them running all over my land. Should I be more reasonable and understanding or do I have the right to be mad?

2.) here in Ohio we still have about 17 days until season so the turkeys have plenty of time to settle back down, but if this were to happen a day or so before the season should I worry that the birds will relocate their roosting spot?

Just for the record I am 100% sure these are coon dogs because I took a drive around the block and saw a truck with coon cages in the back. No human was around/in the truck

Again, I would love to hear the different opinions on this. Thanks!

In my opinion you need to get them off your land. Any dog smell is associated with being a predator. It is just like if you were walking through your own land stinking it all up with human scent and such. The more it happens the more you pressure any prey animals and they may start to stay away. Not all of them will leave but many will be driven off (Deer, turkey, other game birds...etc.). if it is a good neighbor, then just have a sensible conversation with him and he should understand. Just my two scents. If it only happens once or twice I would not worry too much but if you hear it more than that id be concerned.

FYI Turkeys cant smell.

hobbes

Im not continuing this discussion any, its headed in the wrong direction.

SteelerFan

1. Dogs can't read trespass signs

2. Hounds aren't easily pulled off a trail (you mentioned time running)

3. Not a disaster for your hunting

4. A flagrant disregard for property lines vs. an accidental spill over can mean a lot. Communication is key

5. They aren't a gang of thugs breaking into your house... they were hunters enjoying what we do. No need for anyone to get shot - including the dogs.

6. Turkeys can't smell

Tom Foolery

Communication is key and when you go on someone's property without permission that's trespassing.

I'm not for shooting people's dogs.  I'm also not for trespassers using my hound can't read as an excuse to  come on to my property. 

darron

I fight this problem yearly in Ohio. I call the dog warden. She does the best job she can.

wvspitndrum

Quote from: dirt road ninja on April 06, 2018, 08:23:36 AM
A leash. If you can't control your animal don't run it. I don't let my dog run amuck. It's a shame how many dog hunters are irresponsible. I attribute many of the small high fence places popping up a direct reaction to walker hounds.

Years ago I ran deer dogs.
You must have been in dang good shape if you ran deer dogs holding a leash ??

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: wvspitndrum on April 06, 2018, 08:18:06 PM
Quote from: dirt road ninja on April 06, 2018, 08:23:36 AM
A leash. If you can't control your animal don't run it. I don't let my dog run amuck. It's a shame how many dog hunters are irresponsible. I attribute many of the small high fence places popping up a direct reaction to walker hounds.

Years ago I ran deer dogs.
You must have been in dang good shape if you ran deer dogs holding a leash ??
He must of meant years ago he ran WITH deer dogs.
My dogs were trained don't look for me. I'll come get you when your treed. As far as the comment on don't turn your dogs loose unless you have enough ground to hunt. Yeah right. They are trained to follow a coon wherever it goes. I could have a huge area to hunt and on occasion they'd find the one guy with 20 acres that didnt want you in it. Id go in grab my dog and get out.

Spitten and drummen

Good lord. This is the same conversation year after year on archery talk. Some people jumping up and down wanting to kill the dog and others threatening to kill someone if they did something to their dog. I'm a dog lover and would not kill one for being on my land. I may be pissed but would not hurt the dog. Hopefully the guys with the coon hounds are thinning out those nest raiders. They may be doing you a greater service than you realize.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Happy

Actions have consequences. You don't mess with a man's wife, kids or dogs--not necessarily in that order. 
Couple good rules to live by there. More should follow it.
To the original poster I think you both could work out an agreement that makes you both happy and helps your turkey populating out.
As for shooting another man's dog... well I don't see much sense in killing a dog when the owner is the one that should be responsible.(not condoning shooting the owner either) Heck a lot of days my neghbors dogs greet me when I pull into my house. They aren't hurting anything and get along with my two just fine.   I would think most forward thinking coon hunters would secure permission from all the property owners that could be affected but maybe I am off base on that. Would be what I would do if I ran dogs anyways.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

dublelung

Once word gets out that you trap coyotes on your property most dog runners avoid it at all costs. I mean who in their right mind would want their high dollar coon or deer hound to get caught in a trap?