OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Opinion on top predator

Started by SD_smith, April 02, 2018, 07:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD_smith

NWTF released a study awhile back on 41 hen kills and confirmed my belief that owls/hawks are the top predators followed closely by bobcats. I've always figured coons and possums to be big egg eaters, but what about coyotes?

Goodtimekiller

So NWTF said that owls and hawks are the main hen killers? I find that hard to believe. I also think 41 kills is a pretty small number and I think that your predators will vary pretty significantly by the area you are in. Just my opinion, which basically means nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder409

I think the nest predators must definitely be the most destructive to populations.

I have found turkeys that had been decapitated by great horned owls..............laying at the base of roost trees.

I think (not sure) it was Lovett Williams who said his studies had concluded that a coyote will almost ALWAY catch a single turkey.  But a coyote will almost NEVER catch any of them if there are more than one.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Goodtimekiller

Quote from: Yoder409 on April 02, 2018, 07:46:03 PM
I think the nest predators must definitely be the most destructive to populations.

I have found turkeys that had been decapitated by great horned owls..............laying at the base of roost trees.

I think (not sure) it was Lovett Williams who said his studies had concluded that a coyote will almost ALWAY catch a single turkey.  But a coyote will almost NEVER catch any of them if there are more than one.
A few years ago i watched a coyote sit in the middle of a flock of turkeys (20-30) while they pecked through the grass for 30 minutes. He never bothered them and the never got spooked. Then i've seen turkeys run from a coyote 100 yards away. Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kylongspur88

Imo coons possums and skunks are the number one turkey killers here becuase of nest raiding.

mikejd

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on April 02, 2018, 07:50:49 PM
Imo coons possums and skunks are the number one turkey killers here becuase of nest raiding.

I agree.

guesswho

Between the coyote and Bobcat just look at the feet.  Pretty easy to see which one is better equipped for catching critters that can take flight.   

But as mentioned, coons, skunks etc take their toll before the turkeys even get out of the egg, then your hawks are rough on them as poults.   A turkeys life isn't a walk on the park for sure.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

zelmo1

#1 are coons and #2 are coyotes

Kylongspur88

I will add I did watch a bobcat stalk two gobblers once while bow hunting probably 10 + years ago. Even in dry crunchy fall leaves the cat moved silently and I have no idea how he could move so close to the ground. It was like he was just sliding through the woods. He didn't get the birds becuase they flew up to roost. One of the neatest things I've ever seen in the woods.

DirtNap647

Sir-diealot

Cats and Opossums are turkey killing machines. Oh and skunks too.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

AC HAMMER

You're all way off... it's AC HAMMER of course. In all seriousness I think a lot of people nailed it right on about the egg eaters. That's why I became a trapper! :drool:

High plains drifter

dutch@fx4

Most people have no idea how many hawks and owls there really are.

turkaholic

I believe nest robbers are the biggest turkey flock wreckers. No use for any coons. Killed 3 opossums already this spring they love eggs. If the eggs can make the trip, that's half the battle. Have trail cam pics of bobcat killing a squirrel on my farm. We have way to many cats. They are deadly. I used to shoot coyotes until I shot one and then the pups came out. Almost made me want to quit hunting. Never got over that. Getting softer in my old age.
live to hunt hunt to live