OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Opinion on top predator

Started by SD_smith, April 02, 2018, 07:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

We don't see many cats here, not saying they aren't here, but coyotes are a problem. I do believe the egg snatchers are the biggest problem here. I don't have the same problem shooting coyotes since I saw them tear my buddies springer spaniel apart and carry off her corpse in less than a minute  :cross2:

TauntoHawk

I know in the Hudson River valley nothing scares birds off quicker then a bald eagle

Rest robbers are tough on eggs and at least you can do something about them not like you can kill Hawks, owls, and eagles over turkey predation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BB30

Trick question, the number one predator to turkeys is the loss of suitable habitat at least in some of the areas I have hunted in the past.

Humans in excavators, skidders, and log trucks during March, April and May in our area destroy a ton of nests along with prescribed fire during these months.

mtns2hunt

Just ask any farmer how many turkeys and nests he destroys getting up hay.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

kyturkeyhunter4

Here in my area in Ky I would say coyotes and bobcats would be the main predators. But as mentioned the coons and skunks defentily do there part to.

davisd9

Coyotes can get eggs and poults before they fly, but are not good turkey killers.  As mentioned they are not made for that.  Everyone wants to blame coyotes for everything, but the bobcats are turkey slayers!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Kylongspur88

Quote from: davisd9 on April 03, 2018, 11:18:43 AM
Coyotes can get eggs and poults before they fly, but are not good turkey killers.  As mentioned they are not made for that.  Everyone wants to blame coyotes for everything, but the bobcats are turkey slayers!

I used to be the number one coyote hater but my opinion is changing somewhat. For one thing coyotes eat nest raiders like coons and possums and snakes. Two, they take care of a lot of feral and house cats that are hard on gamebirds and rabbits. Sorry folks keep your cats inside. Now I know they do attack dogs and have an impact on deer numbers but I also don't think they should be taken completely out of the equation.

Gamblinman

Hogs...far and away worse than all the others combined in Texas. If a hen nests in a creek bottom or field, hogs will find it.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."