turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Florida Public Land

Started by ddturkeyhunter, April 01, 2018, 12:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddturkeyhunter

I had a good year on Florida public land again this year for a Yankee, a term used a lot by my friends down there. Tagged out again this year but with a lot of the same similar scenario, of completing with all the other hunters. A lot of fun but not as exciting this year just because of very little gobbleing, but memories of a life time made.
Made it down to florida on the 15th to do some pre scouting. Found that the roost trees in a old spot were being used again, so had my starting point. March 17 made my way into my spot in the dark with out a flash light. But only to have to flash the flash light four times to flag others hunters off. So if there was anything using the roost that morning they flew down the other way, didnt see or hear anything the first day. Day two made it into same spot in the dark by 6:00am, but this time didn't have to flag anyone off. At 7:12am heard a wing flap and a Tom pitch down 35 yards in front of me. When he turned he went into strutt, at that time is when I first seen he had a beard. When he came out strutting from behind the tree i yelped real loud, and he raised his head, game over for him. He was small in weight only 16 pounds, but 11 1/2 inch beard, 1 1/4 spurrs. Been shooting some of the older Heavyshot 5-6-7 that have worked supper in my gun. Along with a burris Fast fire3 red dot scope, if any misses it will be all my fault.
My second bird was on March 24, he only gobbled one time when he came off of his roost. I clucked and purred to him, and then the same every HR. He came back in at 10:30am, he was at 21 yards before I could get the clear shot I wanted. He was a 18 pound bird with 11 1/8 inch paint brush beard 1 5/8 left 1 1/4 right. The biggest birds I have gotten so far off that public land.
Have to say anyone planning to hunt florida public land for turkey is in for an experience of a life time. My success if for a few reason, mostly luck, and that is to find the birds and have time to shoot it before someone else dose. This is my fifth year down there and have learned the land, and how the birds act most of the time to pressure from all us hunters. I now go down there with high hopes of filling my tagges every two years, but mostly just to spend time around the camp fire with friends. New memories of a lifetime made I will be adding the pictures of the Florida birds soon. And next week I can only hope to be adding another post because I will be trying my luck in Oklahoma next.

zelmo1

ddturkeyhunter

First bird from Florida trip 2018.

ddturkeyhunter

ddturkeyhunter

ddturkeyhunter

2nd bird, spurs.

Sorry I haven't figured out how to send them all at one time.  It's on my list of things for my daughter to teach me at the next holiday.  I'm just grateful she helped me this far when she was over for Easter.

POk3s

SIUCpilot

Great story and great birds! Which public land were you hunting?

:turkey2:

squidd

Nice work and sounds like more than luck!!

Been a tough year for my public spots and birds have been fairly quiet for me with only hearing them on two outings so far. 

jmart241

Congrats nice story and pics

Meatseeker

Congrats!  That is fantastic!

jordanz7935

Sounds like a heck of a good hunt! Great story and thanks for sharing!

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: SIUCpilot on April 01, 2018, 01:38:59 PM
Great story and great birds! Which public land were you hunting?

:turkey2:

Will say I am hunting south of a line from Tampa to Orlando. Just pick any Public land in Florida and learn it; it doesn't matter where you go it will be crowded. If you are a Nonresident hunting florida the first time and meet a not so polite resident hunter get over it. They have to put up with a lot of extra traffic on public land just to hunt turkey on a yearly bases. So unless you plane on coming back year after year , it might be cheeper going with a guide. But if you don't like I did, you might meet up with a supper bunch of great people to tell story around the camp fire each night. Guess thats where the phrase SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY comes from.

owlhoot

Congrats
Couple of really nice birds

renegade19