OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Florida Public Land

Started by ddturkeyhunter, April 01, 2018, 12:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

outdoors

Quote from: ddturkeyhunter on April 01, 2018, 07:07:36 PM
Quote from: SIUCpilot on April 01, 2018, 01:38:59 PM
Great story and great birds! Which public land were you hunting?

:turkey2:

Will say I am hunting south of a line from Tampa to Orlando. Just pick any Public land in Florida and learn it; it doesn't matter where you go it will be crowded. If you are a Nonresident hunting florida the first time and meet a not so polite resident hunter get over it. They have to put up with a lot of extra traffic on public land just to hunt turkey on a yearly bases. So unless you plane on coming back year after year , it might be cheeper going with a guide. But if you don't like I did, you might meet up with a supper bunch of great people to tell story around the camp fire each night. Guess thats where the phrase SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY comes from.

Well spoken, it is getting CROWDED there are ways , but ,
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

kyturkeyhunter4

Congrats! You have killed a couple of really nice birds job well done  :icon_thumright:

makestomstremble

Those are two sure trophys. Congratulations. What part of Oklahoma are you headed to?

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They call him...Kenny..Kenny

PharmHunter

goblr77

Congrats on a fine FL season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

noletracker

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: makestomstremble on April 02, 2018, 11:39:46 AM
Those are two sure trophys. Congratulations. What part of Oklahoma are you headed to?

Have only been there once in 2012, at that time we picked the counryes in the nw part of state with the least amount of birds so less hunters. It helped a little will see if we can do it again. Any more detail has to be in PM.

tomstopper

Nice. Congrats

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

camotoe

Nice birds, if you like to walk the big cypress will give you a chance to get away from most people .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

oakraidia

Congrats, nice story!

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Beards n bbq

Recently moved back to central Florida from Ohio(ten year stay), learned turkey hunting on Easterns and fell in love with the sport.  After coming back I feel the need to add an osceola fan to my colection.  For the time being I am limited to state ground and have been going to richloam.  Have seen some nice birds harvested there but not having much luck myself.  Not hearing much gobbling there and have not seen any male birds, have seen some hens and some sign.  Do these birds not gobble as much as easterns, are they done breeding, call shy, or just not a large population.  Ive hunted cypress, pines and hardwoods with no response.  There are several burn areas that are starting to come back and i did see some hens there pecking and scratching.  For anyone familiar with richloam, i have been hunting the west end of the property south of highway 50, advice from a local. 
does anyone out there have suggestions for a better area or hunting technique which would be more productice for the florida bird. I assumed my collection of calls and calling style used on ohio easterns would work here but I may be mistaken