turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Kansas Rental Cars?

Started by Hootin-N-Hammer, March 21, 2018, 08:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hootin-N-Hammer

Hey y'all. I'm about to go ahead and reserve a rental car for my trip to Kansas this year, but I don't quite know what vehicle to choose. Do I absolutely need 4x4 or can I make it by with a car? Never been out that way so I have no clue as to the road conditions and don't really want to pay for the extra $ for 4x4 if I don't have to.

Thanks - Hoot

dirt road ninja

Much will depend on if it rains and the area you are hunting has gravel roads. I've been in spots where I was glad to have 4x4 and then a Toyota mini van rides right by me. Most of the time I've been fine with 2wd.

fallhnt

4x4 won't save you on muddy roads

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

turkeyfoot

This is my 2 cents if the road is not packed and dirt and there has been any rain 4 WD won't get you where you wanna go but 4 WD did save my but last year we got stuck after barely turning on road I thought was ok if id been few more yards in I still would have got stuck. I would get something with little ground clearance you will probably be doing some beside road parking. Your lucky if you can find rental company they'll guarantee you 4 WD the ones around here won't. It'll really just depend on weather but i wouldnt go without at least FWD because good chance you'll see some rain

stinkpickle

2WD is fine on most roads when it's dry.  However, it doesn't take much rain out there to make 4WD useless.

nativeks

Don't think I've ever heard someone say they wish they wouldn't have gotten 4x4. I agree there are times it doesn't make much difference. However depending on what part of the state of you are hunting and get caught in a rain it could be the difference between sitting there for days or making it back to civilization. We hadn't had rain since October and got 1.3" Saturday night. I stuck my SxS today in slick stuff.

Gobble!

If it's not a crazy price difference I'd take the added benefit of 4x4.

mtns2hunt

4 by 4 is always good. If you are hunting with an outfitter ask him how the roads are and if you will need a 4 wheel. If DIY I would get a  4 wheel to be safe. Rain can come hard and fast in Kansas and the extra clearance and traction will be welcome. Good luck!
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

WV Ridge Reaper

I'll take the dozer option,been there done that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hobbes

At a minimum, Id go with an AWD crossover/SUV like a Ford Escape or Nissan Rogue.  The tires will suck, but should be sufficient for parking on the side of the road if it's dry.  If it rains, stay on pavement or real gravel roads (if there is such a thing) regardless if you have AWD or 4WD.  If it rains, you'll for sure want to put your boots in the hatchback area of those little "SUVs", and have some clean dry shoes to slip on and wear while driving.  Those things aren't made for slopping full of mud.

fallhnt

I'd want 10ply tires too,if driving on gravel roads.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

hobbes

I doubt you'll find 10 ply on any rental vehicle.

stinkpickle

Quote from: WV Ridge Reaper on March 21, 2018, 07:34:39 PM
I'll take the dozer option,been there done that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Gamblinman

The tires on 4 rental vehicles aren't going to help you a bit. A 4X4 will work, but it has to have aggressive tread to be of any help. Has to be able to clean out the mud and all terrain or all season tires aren't going to cut the mustard.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

LI Outdoorsman

still better than a dinky little compact car...When I travelled out west I just felt more comfy driving a rental 4WD