OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ideal shotgun barrel length poll for turkey hunting

Started by Old Gobbler, March 20, 2018, 02:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you consider a good barrel length

20 inches
15 (9%)
48 (28.9%)
59 (35.5%)
36 (21.7%)
8 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 166

Old Gobbler

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

turkeymanjim

kyturkeyhunter4

hobbes

I like a longer barrel for wingshooting, but shorter for turkey hunting.  My 870s have a 21" and the supermag a 23". Ive hunted the 23 more than the 21, and its always performed well (both have). I'd prefer no more than 24 for turkeys.

akp

Spitten and drummen

24 for my 20 ga win and 26 for my Benelli 20 ga. That's the way they came so I'm good with them.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

jblackburn

Voted 26. 870 has a 26, but also has an Indian Creek, so its more like 28. My 835 has a 24 with an extended so it's probably close to 26
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

the Ward

My browning has a 22" barrel and I like it for the maneuverability. My benelli has a 28, and as much as I like hunting with it, it feels looong after carrying the bps around. When I get around to putting a dedicated gun together, it's going to have a 24-26 pipe on it, depending what model I decide to go with.

Greg Massey

21 inch with about 1 inch of turkey choke sticking out ...22 total...

1iagobblergetter

21 for a dedicated turkey gun. 24 if i only could have one gun to hunt everything with.

Tail Feathers

22 is my ideal length.  Add 2" for an extended choke and it's a very manageable 24" barrel that gets the bang a bit further from the shooter and gets most of the velocity out of the round.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

crow

zelmo1

I am going to a 20 auto with a shorter barrel. It stinks getting old  :OGturkeyhead:

Gooserbat

I voted 24.  I've had a couple of 21 Remington's but all mine are either 24 or 26
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Smooth_Operator

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."