OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ideal shotgun barrel length poll for turkey hunting

Started by Old Gobbler, March 20, 2018, 02:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you consider a good barrel length

20 inches
15 (9%)
48 (28.9%)
59 (35.5%)
36 (21.7%)
8 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 166

goblr77

old3toe

I also prefer 20"-22" barrel but can live with 24" in the turkey woods. 99.9% of my spring turkey hunting is done in more of a jungle setting than what I'd call woods. I honestly don't mind a longer barrel if I had somewhere more open to use it such as open hardwoods, fields, or pines. When moving on birds I've litteraly been stopped in my tracks by vines, saw briers, and brush, and had to dig, crawl, fight my way back out and go to plan b,c, then d. On two occasions I know for sure two different hot and ready gobblers were spooked when my to long barrel were grabbed by the brush resulting in a loud "clank" from a pumps forearm. With that said I have noticed the longer barreled guns did throw nicer more even patterns at 40yds though not really more pellets but more uniform spread of shot. I'd still take a shorty over the long guns though, after all if the occasional racket or occasional bump scares the bird silent it doesn't matter much what I'm shooting.lol

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Ross R

I have used a 20" and a 28".  The 20" felt short to me and I missed a bird or 2 which is my own fault. I started using my 28" benelli and I feel like it is too long with the choke. My next gun is going to be in the 22-24" range.

wade

I killed my first bird with a 30" barrel. My 935 has a 24" barrel and does just fine. But I think If I ever get another dedicated turkey gun I'd go even shorter. My waterfowl and my sporting clays guns both have 28" barrels. As has been said maneuverability in the turkey woods is key.
Do it outdoors

BottomLand54

26"-28"I have tested time each year and always get better patterns out of longer barrels with same chokes and ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kdfester

Rzrbac

When I was a kid I hunted with a 30" barrel. I was fine with it but when I got older and could afford a dedicated turkey gun, 24" became my favorite length.

Jroddc

Yoder409

Hunted 21"-30" over the years.

Voted 26"

26" seems, for me, to be the best trade off between maneuverability and velocity.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

owlhoot

TJK68

Johnnemily

26 is happy medium for long range vs manuverability
#still hunting by the grace of god#

pdaugherty

21 inch barrel with another 1.5 of choke. My 11-87 has a 21 and it's all I ever turkey hunt with.

243kid

My all time favorite was 11-87 with a 23" Barrel. Loved the Rifled sights...