turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Carrying extra protection

Started by kdfester, March 17, 2018, 07:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deer655

I usually carry my glock 23 when scouting. I had a weird showdown this January with 2 big dogs that would nor back down. Only after firing a shot to the side of the more dominant one did they move off. I have faced off a lot of black bears without being spooked. That dog coming at me growling and baring his teeth non stop had me kind of nervous.

Marc

In reading the title, before reading the post ("Carrying extra protection"), I was going to say, that I always carried protection in my single days, but now that I am married there is no need...  I was perplexed (and admittedly a tad concerned) as to the topic as concerned with turkey hunting....

As to carrying protection in the field...  The shotgun will have to do...  Any critters that I would be defending myself against, will be close before I shoot.  And the same goes for people.  If someone has a rifle and decides to (for some unknown reason) start a gunfight with me, I doubt a pistol would be much help.

I often do carry a sidearm while fishing though...  Bear/mountain lion as well as "meth" country, I want to be armed with more than a fly rod....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

guesswho

While hunting, no.  I figure no need then.  But the rest of the time I always have my Sig 40 cal.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

3bailey3

I have been involved in more than one instance on public land that weren't hunters, drunks and crack heads that had been out all night, I would much rather have twelve in a chamber plus the three in my shotgun than just the three!

sasquatch1

Quote from: SteelerFan on March 17, 2018, 09:12:54 AM
Have to ask... "extra protection" from what?? I've had to wrestle a bird or two in my day during the flop, and sometimes they got in a good lick or two - but I've never felt the need to bust a cap in 'em.  ;D

Haha X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oxley777

Quote from: 3bailey3 on March 18, 2018, 10:00:25 PM
I have been involved in more than one instance on public land that weren't hunters, drunks and crack heads that had been out all night, I would much rather have twelve in a chamber plus the three in my shotgun than just the three!

More is always better! 1911!

yella yelper

I've generally just relied on my shotgun but thinking differently now. We've got an infestation of hogs. If I get the chance, I think I can do more damage with 13 rounds of .45 than my shotgun. Last time I shot one with turkey load at 10 yards, he just looked at me and ran off

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: saverx on March 17, 2018, 09:30:27 PM
S&W shield 40 anytime I leave the house just because I love freedom.

Me too. everywhere, everyday.

I will sometimes have a big handgun with me if the situation calls for it, but never turkey hunting. Working cows and stuff on the farm I often have the Glock 20 or Ruger Blackhawk 45 on my hip.

Regardless of circumstance, I have that Shield 40 in my front pocket or in a Crossbreed IWB holster.

tha bugman

I don't but I have a couple of friends that do.  One because he does all the time, the other because of all the hogs on his land!

grnhead1312

Sometimes carry the .45.  Bullets are cheaper and sometimes nice to have that extra protection.