OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Carrying extra protection

Started by kdfester, March 17, 2018, 07:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdfester

Just curious as to how many of you guys carry a pistol while in the woods?

fallhnt

? 99.9 % of the guys on this forum are gun hunters....WTF

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Happy

Quote from: kdfester on March 17, 2018, 07:01:27 AM
Just curious as to how many of you guys carry a pistol while in the woods?
Uhhh.....if a 3.5" 12 gauge isn't enough gun then I will just surrender. Now just walking around in the woods scouting, or bowhunting in Md. I typically have something in the .45 caliber range handy.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

mightyjoeyoung

I ALWAYS  carry.  It's a habit that I'm not going to forgo simply because I have a shotgun in my hands.  I am a home health care nurse and can work in some pretty unsavory parts of town and while my CW-9 may not be on my hip (scrubs wouldn't hold it up anyway), it is ALWAYS in my work bag.  I don't care where I go as long as I'm legal if you don't know I'm carrying you'll never know and if you DO know it's because you're un the business end and not having a good day.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

SteelerFan

Have to ask... "extra protection" from what?? I've had to wrestle a bird or two in my day during the flop, and sometimes they got in a good lick or two - but I've never felt the need to bust a cap in 'em.  ;D

Sixes

Never carried in turkey season cause I never saw the need for it, but I do carry a S&W 642 most of the time in bow season.

You probably need to check state laws, as far as I know, in my home state of GA, you have to have a carry permit to have a weapon that is illegal for hunting game.

Chris O

I usually carry something while I'm out scouting or messing around in the woods or bow hunting we can carry a hand gun. I have heard stories of bow hunters getting robbed don't know if they are true but you never know. You could also have the neighbors pit bulls get loose and want to try to get you. We can also shoot coyotes year round here.You just never know what kind of people or animals you may encounter.

kdfester

The need for a carry permit in PA depends on how you go about carrying. If not concealed you would not need as long as u loaded prior to entering a vehicle and depending on caliber may be illegal to dispatch any game.  Rural PA has been know to have a meth lab or two and a Lot of ground I hunt includes secluded places and an unsuspecting hunter could unintentionally inturupt a transaction.

kdfester

Big Jeremy

If I'm not in a state building where it's against the law, I'm carrying. Not because I expect to need it, but because if I always have it on me I'll never be caught unprepared.

I have used a pistol one time when in the turkey woods...on a copperhead that was between me and where I wanted to get. My turkey loads cost more than one pistol round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomfoolery

Some places i hunt its illegal to carry a pistol unless a cc permit holder. But i stick a small pistol in my pocket because some of these back woods plaves are grounds to meth/drug operations and just old residemts that believe they own the land ad dont want outsiders in. So i carry regardless of the law to keep myself safe. Never know what im going to run into in the woods or what may be hanging around my vehicle when i return.

Rzrbac

Not if I'm packing a shotgun, I had much rather use it than a pistol. If I'm shed hunting and bowhunting, I usually keep a little Ruger in my pocket.

davisd9

I carry on some land I hunt in case I run across some hogs. The hand gun holds more and it is faster to get off. Also I do not see any reason to waste turkey shells on a hog or coyote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

daddyduke

Always. Was out hiking and came across some very angry wild dogs.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.