OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

does it count ???

Started by saltysenior, March 14, 2018, 04:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltysenior

the whole deal with spring gobbler season is calling a bird into range and killing him,right???  so if you call in a bird but he busts you and runs....you shoot him in the back as he runs killing him.....does this still count 100% ??

guesswho

It does in my book.  You call him into shotgun range and shoot him before he gets out of shotgun range, then mission accomplished.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

THattaway

If I fool him it counts. I used to shoot on free throws, not so much these days.

I will say this though, on particularly tough birds most any turkey hunter can get to the point where any method used short of illegal is perfectly fine.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Happy

It does to me. If I called him in close and can kill him I won. I have other personal rules that would eliminate the possibility of me pulling the trigger but that ain't one of them.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

guesswho

Besides that, 10 years from now my version of the story will probably be my calling was so good that day, I had to shoot him in self defense.  I'm getting older every day so it may not even take 10 years to get to that version.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

dirt road ninja

Gobble!

Yes. If he's in range he counts.

paboxcall

Agree 100%. What's the point of carrying a SxS, O/U, pump or semi if not for the ability to follow up on the initial miss as that bird is getting out of town fast.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Cut N Run

It counts if you tag him & tote him out.  He should eat just fine, even if he tried to run on you.  Win/win the way I see it.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

MK M GOBL

You'll be eating turkey not tag, counts in my book!

MK M GOBL

Rzrbac

It counts as long as he was called in. I've killed a few that way, multiple birds and one busts you so you have to make a quick running shot. Shot a big gobbler a few years ago about 6 foot off the ground. He was with a smaller gobbler that was about to step on me. He busted me and ran but the big bird tried to fly, he was close and it wasn't a real difficult shot. I counted him and was happy to do so. Sure it's a little irritating to know you kind of blew it at the end but sometimes making a good recovery saves the hunt.

KentuckyLB

It counts if you think it counts is what matters..

SteelerFan

You're running for the goal line and trip at the 1 yard line... ball comes loose, but you manage to dive on it in the endzone and make the recovery. TOUCHDOWN!!

Rzrbac

Quote from: SteelerFan on March 14, 2018, 05:34:00 PM
You're running for the goal line and trip at the 1 yard line... ball comes loose, but you manage to dive on it in the endzone and make the recovery. TOUCHDOWN!!

Your handle says SteelerFan.  Sounds like you've been watching Razorback games.  :TooFunny: