OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Flextone or Axian-x or DSD

Started by stewdawg, March 11, 2018, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stewdawg

Looking to get a feeder hen to add to my spread. I have Avian-x jake and breeder. I mostly run and gun and cover a few miles when i hunt, so never carry more than 2. Avian-x seemed like the logical choice, but the newer flextone, for about half the price seem to have great paintings on them. Any input or experience you could share would be appreciated. Thanks!

Or, would a DSD be worth the extra money?

MK M GOBL

I cannot say enough about my DSD's, there is not a better decoy made. To me well worth their price. I have 6 of them from the Strutter, Jake, Upright, Feeding, Leading and Submissive. All have a place in my sets given the "right" time and place. As always Just a Tool in the Shed.

I have entire thread dedicated to DSD's, I'LL add the link below.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,70971.0.html

MK M GOBL

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 11, 2018, 10:30:31 AM
I cannot say enough about my DSD's, there is not a better decoy made. To me well worth their price. I have 6 of them from the Strutter, Jake, Upright, Feeding, Leading and Submissive. All have a place in my sets given the "right" time and place. As always Just a Tool in the Shed.

I have entire thread dedicated to DSD's, I'LL add the link below.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,70971.0.html
Will second this, I have the entire flock, but use only the upright hen 95% of time. Spend the extra go with the best. What hobby doesn't cost money, and if you don't shoot it to many times it will be there for years to pass on to your kids.

MK M GOBL

ddturkeyhunter

Still haven't figure out why my post got added to the past Quote

CDNduckslayer

Quote from: ddturkeyhunter on March 11, 2018, 10:57:25 AM
Still haven't figure out why my post got added to the past Quote

You have to type your reply outside of the quote or it will be included in the quote.

As for original question, hands down go with the DSD's you will never look at another decoy!!!

Greg Massey

No doubt DSD are the best decoys ... But for the carrying ability and moving more i like the Axian x ... but it's just up to you and how much money you want to spend.. all of these will get the job done.. Been many turkeys killed over the old primos feather flex decoys ...i still have my first old primos feather flex decoys...lol

Big Jeremy

DSD are without question the best. If I'm running and gunning, though, I, personally, wouldn't use them. Avians are much more portable, and still look pretty stinkin good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

Just to ask the question, and I hear this quite often about portability. I have several buddies who bought Avians and always said they can collapse them for portability, thing was they never did... They blew them up and left them that way... Seems to be a feature of the decoy that is seldom used and a disadvantage as you need to have them hold air to look right. My buddy spent hours fixing his back up after a number of stray pellet hits (one bad direct hit from a Learn to Hunt put her out of commission and was replaced with a DSD) and the valve leaking which also seems to be an inherint problem... Just asking those who use the Avians do you inflate/deflate your decoy(s) at every set or move? I also wonder about speed in which you can inflate and set them (I often set 3). Last is weight, the Avians seem heavier but I have not weighed them... I am wondering what is the advantage of them? (Other than cost)

MK M GOBL

nativeks

I have a Dakota jake, DSD upright hen, DSD jake, and avian x hens. DSD hands down. Avian X may seem more portable but they are a pain in the  to blow up so I live them inflated. Got them dirt cheap so I don't regret them but they are no DSD.

Greg Massey

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 11, 2018, 02:03:03 PM
Just to ask the question, and I hear this quite often about portability. I have several buddies who bought Avians and always said they can collapse them for portability, thing was they never did... They blew them up and left them that way... Seems to be a feature of the decoy that is seldom used and a disadvantage as you need to have them hold air to look right. My buddy spent hours fixing his back up after a number of stray pellet hits (one bad direct hit from a Learn to Hunt put her out of commission and was replaced with a DSD) and the valve leaking which also seems to be an inherint problem... Just asking those who use the Avains do you inflate/deflate your decoy(s) at every set or move? I also wonder about speed in which you can inflate and set them (I often set 3). Last is weight, the Avians seem heavier but I have not weighed them... I am wondering what is the advantage of them? (Other than cost)

MK M GOBL
If i'm just carrying one or 2 i just leave mine full of air in my bag. I don't think inflating them is much different than those cheaper ones that you fold in your vest and have to take the time to get them back in some kind of shape to use or hunting again....Again i feel DSD are the best, it just depends on the person and his pocket book.....You know some people kill birds off the funky chicken... lol

Seminoleturkey

I have the entire avian x flock and they all have problems.the rear clamp on the strutter just fell off and the rest have leaks .just got a DSD jake and will soon have nothing but DSD decoy .dsd are night and day better

snapper1982

Dsd #1
Deception #2 (their strutter IMO is equal to dsd)
Dakota #3

Gamblinman

Go over to FB and look at all the dissatisfied customers of Avian decoys..mis-shaped heads, leaking decoys.

DSD all the way.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Yoder409

I'm thinking I'd buy the Flextone and a few $1 jars of paint from Michael's and have at it.................
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Gobble!

Anyone had paint issues with their Avains? I'm not completely satisfied with my DSDs because the paint hasn't held up well over time. They are 8 years old though but haven't seen much action the last 3 years. If I was buying right now I don't know what I would buy but probably DSDs. DSDs are the best looking IMO. Deception Decoys would be my second pick. I'm fully concinced that to a turkey the brand makes no difference. I didn't see an increase in the decoys productivity by switching from Primos to DSD.