turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Flextone or Axian-x or DSD

Started by stewdawg, March 11, 2018, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wernerjd

DSD for sure. I have never heard of SSD's having paint issues. What kind of issues you having.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Gobble! on March 11, 2018, 08:00:45 PM
Anyone had paint issues with their Avains? I'm not completely satisfied with my DSDs because the paint hasn't held up well over time. They are 8 years old though but haven't seen much action the last 3 years. If I was buying right now I don't know what I would buy but probably DSDs. DSDs are the best looking IMO. Deception Decoys would be my second pick. I'm fully concinced that to a turkey the brand makes no difference. I didn't see an increase in the decoys productivity by switching from Primos to DSD.

The only paint issue I had was with my original Upright Hen, think I bought her in 2010 and she has some use under her belt. The paint on her eyes wore off, I figured out this was because I was putting her in the bag head first...the bag was wearing on her eyes. Once I figured this out it was just a matter of learning tail first, I fixed her eyes with a black Sharpie marker and all good. I do "Whiten" up the head on my Strutter but that was not a company paint job, I did this myself back in 2012. I just use Whiteout for those touch ups.

MK M GOBL

bigbird

I'm aDSD person. The avian decoys look good too

Gobble!

Quote from: wernerjd on March 11, 2018, 08:16:04 PM
DSD for sure. I have never heard of SSD's having paint issues. What kind of issues you having.

Did a double check, these decoys will be 9 and 10 years old this year. Always carried in a decoy bag. Only the feeders head had the paint flake off, rest of it is good shape. Upright has issues all over but until the last few years it did see a lot of action. My jake and strutter are ok. Colors seem dull but it may just be because I'm comparing them to the new ones and I know they changed up the color scheme on the gobbler decoys.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Gobble! on March 11, 2018, 10:42:35 PM
Quote from: wernerjd on March 11, 2018, 08:16:04 PM

Did a double check, these decoys will be 9 and 10 years old this year. Always carried in a decoy bag. Only the feeders head had the paint flake off, rest of it is good shape. Upright has issues all over but until the last few years it did see a lot of action. My jake and strutter are ok. Colors seem dull but it may just be because I'm comparing them to the new ones and I know they changed up the color scheme on the gobbler decoys.

Are these ACE TECH?

I have no wear like that on mine??

MK M GOBL

stewdawg

Wow! Thank you all for the feedback. I never deflate them in the field, so that isn't really and issue. Seems DSD is an overwhelming winner! Thanks!

Gobble!

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 11, 2018, 10:57:43 PM

Are these ACE TECH?

I have no wear like that on mine??

MK M GOBL

Yes.

Bolandstrutters

I have the DSD jake and breeder hen.  I wanted to add another feeder hen and cheaped out and bought a Avian.  It didn't last a season before it started going flat.  And it didn't get shot.  Buy DSD and get it over with.  They will last you a long time.

Greg Massey

Well i'm tired of DSD decoys , i'm just going to buy me couple of those stuff turkey taxidermy mounts off the ebay.

kyturkeyhunter4

I bought the new flextones last year they have the same great painting on them like the avian x for half the price. Plus I love how flextone Has the stakes located on them it's a fast easier way to keep up with them. I tagged out the first two days here in ky using them, I think there a great decoy for half the price of the others.

CDNduckslayer

I have noticed a trend here and that is if the person wants to buy DSD's but doesn't want to shell out the $$ for them, they end up buying a cheaper option, then something goes wrong with the cheaper option or they just are not satisfied with the cheaper option then they eventually buy the DSD's anyways, save yourself the aggravation and in the end extra costs and go buy yourself the DSD's to begin with!! I don't know of anyone who once they owned them wanted to sell them for something else...................just doesn't happen with DSD's!

The paint issues "Gobble" is having is the first I have heard of anyone having paint issues since they have gone to the "ace" material. Might try giving them a call and see what they will do as another thing with DSD's is they stand behind their products!! Might be asking a bit much being they are that old but ya never know!

tha bugman

I really like the decoy stake of the Flextone.  To me that was the deal maker! 

g8rvet

Quote from: CDNduckslayer on March 12, 2018, 12:21:04 PM
I have noticed a trend here and that is if the person wants to buy DSD's but doesn't want to shell out the $$ for them, they end up buying a cheaper option, then something goes wrong with the cheaper option or they just are not satisfied with the cheaper option then they eventually buy the DSD's anyways, save yourself the aggravation and in the end extra costs and go buy yourself the DSD's to begin with!! I don't know of anyone who once they owned them wanted to sell them for something else...................just doesn't happen with DSD's!

The paint issues "Gobble" is having is the first I have heard of anyone having paint issues since they have gone to the "ace" material. Might try giving them a call and see what they will do as another thing with DSD's is they stand behind their products!! Might be asking a bit much being they are that old but ya never know!

Do you know me?  'Cause that is exactly what I did.  Went through a few brands, killed some birds.  But the DSD hen has had tons more interaction with the hens and the jakes (gobblers don't get a chance, I kill them before they can jump it, since I am not filming my hunts!).  I have one older feeder hen that the birds walk right past to get to the DSD, every single time (and I have killed plenty of birds near that decoy). 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Gobble!

Quote from: CDNduckslayer on March 12, 2018, 12:21:04 PM
Might try giving them a call and see what they will do as another thing with DSD's is they stand behind their products!! Might be asking a bit much being they are that old but ya never know!

They told me they sell touch up paint for $15 plus shipping. Probably order some after season to help with the depression of season ending.

CDNduckslayer

Quote from: g8rvet on March 12, 2018, 02:03:55 PM

Do you know me?  'Cause that is exactly what I did. 

Lol not the first I've heard of and won't be the last......haha

Quote from: Gobble! on March 12, 2018, 02:45:24 PM

They told me they sell touch up paint for $15 plus shipping. Probably order some after season to help with the depression of season ending.

Sounds like a good offseason task to keep the blood flowing!