turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

"What is the LEGAL definition of HUNTING" ****UPDATED 4/21/11****

Started by bbcoach, April 18, 2011, 06:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

I want to get some input from you concerning the Subject line above.  Here is why I ask.

I have harvested my limit of two turkeys, in the first 8 days of the season here in NC, and I am wondering if I can legally help mentor and call for other hunters?  I have a friend that has a 10 and 13 year old, that are licensed hunters, that have ask me to take them turkey hunting.  I have also been ask by a couple of adults this week also.  I have sent an E-mail to the NCWRC and ask them the same question.  Has anyone had any personal experience with this?  What do you say?

new2turkey

I know in the state of Maine as long as you aren't carrying a firearm you are legal.

I'm relatively sure it is the same for majority of other states as well.

It might help if you list what state you are in... But again, I'm pretty sure you will be fine...

West Augusta

As in West Virginia. As long as you don't have a gun. Don't even touch it.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

TRKYHTR

Check your regulations. I have hunted where if you didn't have a tag you couldn't be in the woods. Better safe than sorry.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

guesswho

In some states if you participate in any way then you are considered hunting.  Even a cameraman has to have a license in some states.  But I think you would be safe.  You have a hunting license and I think you can hunt all you want as without breaking any laws as long as you don't take over the limit, even if you have limited out.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Turkey Trot

Look it up in the NC Code, it is the only way that you will know the definition for sure.  Far more sound that asking the opinion of out of staters on a forum.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

3.5inchpainfulldeath

Quote from: guesswho on April 18, 2011, 07:36:07 PM
In some states if you participate in any way then you are considered hunting.  Even a cameraman has to have a license in some states.  But I think you would be safe.  You have a hunting license and I think you can hunt all you want as without breaking any laws as long as you don't take over the limit, even if you have limited out.   
:agreed:

tiggere

I'm not sure which way to go on this one...but being that I also live in NC let me tell you this...I had a friend that wanted to go that had never hunted and didn't have a license...he was going with me just to observe...I just so happened to run into the game warden that night while roosting a bird for us and asked him just to make sure...he said and I quote...If I pull up here in the morning and find him with you and he does not have a license to show me (seeing as how your telling me ahead of time so I know)...he better not even have a set of keys in his pockets...I don't even want to find a twig from where he sat down...they better be perfectly empty and he can in no way help on harvesting the bird...no calling...shooting....and so forth...

The reason I say this is because I asked one of my other game warden buddies and he said he would have written him a ticket on the spot...even though he didn't have a gun...its going to be up to the discretion of the officer that stops you...but with that said...if your a licensed hunter and your assisting someone else on their hunt and they have their own tags you are probably good to go...I would call the game warden that's over your area and ask him directly though...just call the main number and ask for his number...they will give it to you...heck ask them too while you have them on the phone...

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

BowBendr

BB-
As a NC resident, i'm going to weigh in on this too because like tiggere posted above, a lot of this is in what the GW perceives you are doing while in the field.

Directly from the NC reg book:

"Manner of Taking"
"Definition: To take is defined as all operations during, immediately prepatory and immediately subsequent to an attempt, whether successful or not, to capture, kill, pursue, hunt or otherwise harm or reduce to possession any fisheries resource or wildlife resource."

If you read this closely, to me it says you can't do it. Everything falls under "taking". You get caught spotlighting, you get a ticket for "taking", catch too many trout, or kill a doe in buck season, you get a ticket for "taking". If you get caught hunting out of season, even if you haven't shot anything, you WILL get a ticket for "taking". I feel that if you go call for a buddy, you are helping in "taking".

I'd wait on that confirmation from Raleigh before I did it and then I would carry a copy of their return e-mail on me if they said I could.......

HogBiologist

Seems funny on some of the states rules.  Under those regs in those states a parent could not assist their own kid on a youth only weekend.  They would be infact assisting.  I would call the local wildlife captain to get clarification.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

bbcoach

UPDATE TO EVERYONE,
Thanks for the replies so far.  Excellent responses and Food for Thought!

I have E-mailed this question to the NCWRC because I want a written response, to fall back on, in case I get a positve response from the Commission and then get an over zealous Game Warden wanting to write a ticket at his discretion, for the way he interprets the law.  I have a phone number for our local Game Warden and I will call him for his advice, after I get a written response from the Commission.

I will keep everyone posted on the outcome.  Keep the replies coming.

PANYHunter

This is not based on any knowledge of NC laws but it seems to me that you should be ok because you have a license. I don't know of any good CO that would cite you for trying to call in a bird for a youngster.  I'm curious to see what the state has to say.

lmbhngr

God forbid they don`t get that license revenue!! What a bunch of crap!! Can`t even help someone out anymore?? Freakin joke

tiggere

just keep in mind even if you have written confirmation from someone the GW can interpret it how he sees fit and you will still have to go to court to prove your case...i would take the written word AND make darn sure the guy that would write the ticket felt the same way...most of them are really good guys though...