Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

"What is the LEGAL definition of HUNTING" ****UPDATED 4/21/11****

Started by bbcoach, April 18, 2011, 06:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archery1

yeah  agree also.. as long as you don;t handle the gun and have a valid hunting lic. you should be able to . some states get carried away with all their mumbo jumbo!!!!!!!!
Take a kid hunting

HogBiologist

I know in Louisiana, as long as there is only one gun and it is not in your hands, you can assist.  Even if you were written a ticket, I think you would be hard pressed to find a judge who wouldnt throw it out.  Seriously, If you have a license, although tagged out, if you are assisting another hunter i dont think there is a case.  and for the warden who said he would right a ticket on the spot.......I'd call his bluff.  Like I said, you would be hard pressed to find a judge who would not throw that ticket out.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

bbcoach

I have been in contact with the NCWRC and Jones County Game Warden and both contacts (one in writing and one via phone) have stated that it is LEGAL to mentor and call for other hunters, after you have filled your tags, as long as you are not in possession of a firearm or ammo.  The Game Warden stated that as long as you weren't in possession of the gun and weren't carrying any ammo, he was fine with the mentoring and calling for other people.  As a matter of fact the Game Warden stated he encourages the mentoring of other hunters, whether kids or adults, because mentoring encourages others to participate in this sport and enjoy the outdoors.

As far as the TAKING issue, in this case, the Game Warden stated that as long as you aren't in possession of the firearm or ammo there wouldn't be any citation issued.  I agree, there seems to be some GRAY area in the TAKING issue but he did state to me over the phone that he had filled his tags for the year and he was mentoring as well.

So in the state of North Carolina it appears that you are not in violation of the LAW, in this case, unless you are in POSSESSION of the firearm and ammo.

The way this sounds to me, it's like driving 5 MPH over the speed limit and not being issued a citation.  You are in fact breaking the law but the officer chooses not to stop you until it reaches 10 MPH over.

RS

Glad you got some confirmation from WRC and the local officer.  That is the way I had understood, but it's good to hear from the source.  Also, glad you had some success in Jones Co. I had permmission to hunt on some real good looking land down there last year, but just never made it down.  I didn't have chance to get with the folks to check for this year before the season started.  Good luck the rest of the season.

BowBendr

Thanks for the update BBC.
It's good to know that the NCWRC will not stand in the way of you hitting the field and helping others to experience what we all love. Hope ya'll get a chance to smack some more snoods. Good Luck buddy.
:wav: :wav: