OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's the dumbest thing you have done while hunting?

Started by marks2000z71, April 18, 2011, 06:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shad309

Quote from: Basser69 on April 19, 2011, 01:22:04 PM
Quote from: redarrow on April 19, 2011, 12:56:40 PM
I thought long and hard about admitting this ,but. I pooped on my jacket one morning. :bike2:

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:  I just about fell outta my chair when I read that one.

My co-workers are wanting to know what I just busted out laughing about
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Basser69

I had one of the kids with me last year that had to seek the call of nature and after he got through doing his business he proceeded to steep in it, litterally. Well, he got in the tent chair with me and in less than 30 seconds, he was hunting in his socks and his boots were thrown about 30 yards away.

roostershooter

redarrow, I thought I was the only one. This past deer season I answered the call right on the unzipped leg of my coveralls.

guesswho

I could write a book!  But one of the dumbest things I can remember is a friend and I once parked our truck in a dry sandy creek bed in central Florida because it helped hide the truck.  During our hunt it came a big flash flood.  There were boat cushions floating in the back of the bed.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

3.5inchpainfulldeath

This story is about my buddy.  We where archery hunting on moring and we stopped at McD.s   Well we got to the property and by this time he was about locked up with poop pains...  He didn't want to use leaves, no paper in the truck, and no towles in the tool box... so what does any respectable man to when in need... asks his buddy for his knife... why might you ask?  the next thing i know he's got camo dropped and is cutting away at his long john while making his way to the woods.... I did what any great friend would do.  I took out my phone and took a pile of pics of him cutting up his long johns and scurying away to deal with the call of the wild.   man I had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard...

saltysenior

Quote from: guesswho on April 19, 2011, 05:16:08 PM
I could write a book!  But one of the dumbest things I can remember is a friend and I once parked our truck in a dry sandy creek bed in central Florida because it helped hide the truck.  During our hunt it came a big flash flood.  There were boat cushions floating in the back of the bed.

was that at fishing creek ?????   saw that happen there years ago w/ a brand new ford pickup...all the poor guy was worried about was what his wife was going say..

guesswho

Quote from: saltysenior on April 19, 2011, 07:20:34 PM
Quote from: guesswho on April 19, 2011, 05:16:08 PM

was that at fishing creek ?????   saw that happen there years ago w/ a brand new ford pickup...all the poor guy was worried about was what his wife was going say..

Real close, Avon Park.  No, wasn't us.  We didn't care what our Wifes were going to say.  Especially me, wasn't my truck ;D
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

LilFridWV

The dumbest thing I've ever done while hunting was take my brothering with me and not explain the importance of movement and color. We had a gobbler come from about 200 yards out around this bowl to 60 yards out gobbling his head off. Some thick vegetation was keeping us from seeing him so he stayed down in the bowl gobbling. My brother-in-law gets impatient and pulls out a Marborlo light and starts smoking with the gobbler so close.

R AJ

A friend of mine was given a new pair of  cammo  coveralls for Christmas . The next morning he got the urge and carefully crossed the arms of his new coveralls  on the ground . When he got up he saw that he had laid the whole thing right on the sleeves. His decision was to cut the sleeves off. When he came home that night his wife asked what in the world happened . He told her he had gotten hot. She thought a second and asked iwhy he only got hot on his arms.

I have gone hunting with no gun in the vehicle,more than once never loaded that gun. Many turkey hunts I have botched were worse than dumb. I could call it stupidity on my part but I always blame it on the turkey not doing what it was supposed to do. There are many good tales here and if enough people share their stories it will make a book.

jfair

My stepbrother decided to field dress a coyote that he had shot during bear season.  Don't know what smells worse, poop in your jacket or the inside of a coyote.  Still bust on him for that one.

unclerick

Well I haven't done anything dumb in the turkey woods yet,,, but a few years ago I baught a 14ft Bassboat with a 85 horse Mercury, me and my brother carried it to the lake and put it in the water and took off, we got about 8 miles up the lake in a river channel and started to fish when I noticed the boat was sinking, and it did, there was nothing sticking out of the water except for 4ft of the bow. I had put the plug in backwards and she popped out somewhere, we lost everything, thank goodness for some guys close by who towed us to shore and helped get the boat turned right and towed us the 8 miles back to the dock, I haven't been back on the lake since.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Beretta686 on April 19, 2011, 03:40:47 PMWhen I took the gun out of the gun case I had a trigger lock on it with no key. No key in the boat, in my pocket, my truck, only at home. Now that did stink.
Stink?? ??? That musta SUCKED!!!! :lol:  But, what else can you do but laugh in that situation. (after you were through cursing!! :lol:  :toothy12: )

I've done many things that were stupid in the woods, but thankfully I haven't pooped on my jacket. :TooFunny:  HOWEVER, my dumbest hunting moment ever did involve poop!!! ;D  My dad taught me how to duck hunt, but all the other disciplines of hunting are self-taught. When it came to deer hunting, I watched the TV shows & videos, read the magazines & books, then headed to the woods. A couple of seasons into my deer hunting career, I found my first scrape!! I thought, WOW, this is it!! This is one of those scrapes I've heard about. All I have to do is set up watching it and sooner or later, I'll kill a buck!! :D
So I set my stand and sit. Nothing.
Next day. Same thing, nothing
3rd day, nothing.
4th day, still nothing.
5th day, I'm starting to get discouraged and doubt this scrape hunting stuff. So after the morning hunt, I walk over to the scrape to see if there had been any night time activity. As I approach the scrape, I notice something white in it that I hadn't seen before. As I get up close, I realize the white is toilet paper. :o No friends, I hadn't been hunting my first scrape. I had been hunting, FOR 5 DAYS!!!, a human poop!!!! :-[  Some guy had taken a dump in the woods, and then kicked leaves and dirt over it, making it appear to be a scrape. So I had wasted 5 days of my life hunting some guy's pile of poop!! :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

pullit

I got all the way to where I was going one morning, got all my stuff on and ready to go, only to learn I had left my gun at home leaned up against the wall by the back door.... :newmascot:

MC

Redarrow I am so glad you admitted that. Now I don't feel so bad about admitting the time I ever so carefully climbed atop a rootball in a flooded swamp to talk to a man about a horse. Ever mindful of the complications associated with such a task while wearing chest waders and perched over waist deep water. Upon completion I stood tall, reached back and flipped the suspender straps back over my shoulders only then to discover they had not stayed in their negotiated spot.

Then there was the time I was caught in mid conversation with the same man about the same horse by a gobble not 75 yards away. I quickly made arrangements to get my pants up and shimmy around the tree enough to be in position. Upon shooting the turkey I jumped up to run out to him only to take 10 or 12 steps and fall flat on my face when my un-fastened pants dropped around my ankles.

The absolute best though was 2 years ago...hunting with a good buddy. We moved in on a bird he had roosted the evening before. We went in extra early on a dark night. The lay of the land was such that he wanted me to sit about 50 yards behind his right shoulder to cover the other side of a knoll. Sure enough, the bird flew down and came to the right working it's way up the knoll headed towards me. Suddenly I heard putting and the sound of a turkey running off through the dry leaves. He turned around to look at me and I just threw my hands up with a puzzled expression on my face. He then asked me to check out my headlamp, at which point I reached up to find I had not only left it on my hat, but turned on with 2 bright LEDs just shining away.

I could go on and on and on....

strut and spurs

i was hunting fort Campell a few years back and shot a buck right at dark.you have to be out of the woods by a certain time or you get suspended.i knew better but i left the deer laying after i drug it a hundred yards or so because i didn't have my knife so i went back to get it and the 4 wheeler.I hunted harder for that deer after it was dead than when it was alive.