OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's the dumbest thing you have done while hunting?

Started by marks2000z71, April 18, 2011, 06:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marks2000z71

Well I was hunting the WMA here in SC last week and had a pretty good spot. I haven't had a chance to scout this area so I was going in blind. I did however hunt this spot last year and knew where the birds like to hang out. So wed. morning I got set up in the woods around 5:30 am and heard 5 gobble. Well luck wasn't on my side that day. Neither was it Thursday morning either. But with both days hunted I had a good idea were they roosted and were they were going when they hit the ground. So I made my game plan for Fri morning and well someone else beat me to my spot. So I had a change of plan come into effect. I went to another spot that I never been to before. I heard a few birds in the long distance so I decided to move on out and see if I could go around to get closer to those birds. As I was walking out 7:30 am I heard a bird in the distance but yet kinda close. So I took off running to were I heard him gobbling. Man he was on fire!!!!!! I moved down into the creek were he was, to close the distance. I hit my crow call and he thunder stuck, was about 150 yards from me.  I leaned my camo gun against the tree were I planned to sit and ran up about 20 yards and put my decoys out. I let out a few yelps with some clucks and he answered.  When I turned around to go back to get my gun I could NOT find it. This gobbler was by himself and was closing the distance quickly. I am walking back and forth looking at every tree for my gun and still could not find it. Then he thunder struck he was less than 60 yards coming through the grass along the bottom looking for some love and all I could do is kick myself in the butt for laying my gun against a tree and walking away from it. Then I heard the sound no one likes to hear putt putt putt putt puttputt puttputtputtputt  and the game was over. You know I walked around for 30 minutes looking for my gun after that gobbler left before I found my gun. Yep!!!! RIGHT were I left it against a oak tree about 20 yards for the decoys. Talk about being fired up man a I was upset, but after thinking about a little while later it pretty darn funny!!!!!   

archery1

yeah memories with ur dad ,relatives or any good friend will be  not forgotten.. nice stories.. though :lol:
Take a kid hunting

redarrow

Great story. I lost my 1100 one day squirrel hunting.

NCBigShot

When the Dogwood is white, the time is right...

WyoHunter

Two years ago I drive home 180 miles and after unpacking the truck I realized I drove off without my beloved Beretta. After frantically telling my wife she said alright we're driving back to NE and hope it's still in the parking area of the WMA. To make a long story short it was lying there in a couple of inches of snow. I had leaned it against the front tire of the truck and then took off my vest and forgot to put it in the truck. Dumb! Dumb! Dumb!  
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

BLACKQUACK

For the past couple of years I've been trying to figure out a way to get across two creeks that are about 20 feet wide and way to deep for waders.  The grass is always greener on the other side.  Right?  Well, this year I bought an 8 foot, pump up raft; the kind you might get your kids in their preteen years for water fun.  Well after it arrived at the house, pumping it up and thinking about it a little more I said to myself, 'hellsbells' I said, 'I'm 69 years old and can barely get up after setting against a tree for an hour, how am I going to get in and out of this thing with all the other turkey hunting stuff without falling or flipping into the creek.  Next week I'll determine if this will be one of the dumbest turkey hunting things I've done.    I'll let you know how if went or if I chicken out.     :-\

saltysenior

have had to look hard a few times for a camo gun at day break  :agreed:    BUT, the dumbest thing i use to do is to walk in the dark with a loaded gun. after an awakening experience [in the daytime], i seldom walk anytime with a fully loaded gun..

Missed-Em

Hognutz

While deer hunting, I walked away from my set up to pee, without taking my rifle. And just like clockwork, here they come. About a flock and a half, and all I could do was shake it at them..Mike  :fud:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

tnturkeyman28

several years ago me and a buddy laid out of school to go turkey hunting and we were on on way back to the truck to try another spot when a bird blew our hats off close!. he popped his head up at about 40 yards and my buddy smoked him or so we thought. Just about the time we were starting to celebrate the bird started to try to fly off. and the race to get him started. My buddy took off at a dead run and didnt know that there was a washout in the road and tumbled right on his head and told me to go get him so I took off at a dead sprint that any runner would have been proud of. about the time i got to the bird i saw a 6 strand barb wire fence between me and him. Now those who know me I'm not little so you cant stop a train going full speed in a couple feet so I tried to jump the 6 strand of fence...You see where this is going. Needless to say I dint clear the fence and laid the fence complety down posts and all. It caught me about mid thigh and took a hunk out of my leg. my buddy finally made it up to and when he saw my leg he about lost it. he helped me to the truck and we had to go to his house to doctor my leg. Of course his mom was home she looked at my leg and told me we need to go to the dr for stitches.  I didnt want to go to the DR because we were skipping school. so she made me sit down so she could look at my leg. when I did her husband came and held me down so I could not get up and she poured a whole bottle of alcohol on it..( wish I had went to the DR) It took almost 4 months for my leg to heal and still have a nasty scar and the bird got away.

so the dumbest thing I have done while hunting it trying to be a High jumper and trying to clear a tall fence. 
Big Boys Custom Calls
" I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
Owner of Big Boys Custom Call making Custom Turkey Calls to Order. Mossy Oak Pro Staff The Good lord has Blessed me far more than I deserve. Philippians 4:13

redarrow

I thought long and hard about admitting this ,but. I pooped on my jacket one morning. :bike2:

Basser69

Quote from: redarrow on April 19, 2011, 12:56:40 PM
I thought long and hard about admitting this ,but. I pooped on my jacket one morning. :bike2:

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:  I just about fell outta my chair when I read that one.

barry

Quote from: Basser69 on April 19, 2011, 01:22:04 PM
Quote from: redarrow on April 19, 2011, 12:56:40 PM

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:  I just about fell outta my chair when I read that one.

That makes 2 of us Basser.
Redarrow, I've had friends do the same thing

struttin_1

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Can't say I've done that one yet...but on a very cold morning deer hunting we had a guy crap in his union suit. Guess he didn't get it down far enough and well you know the rest. We all knew what happened when he came up over the hill with that red union suit held out to his side in one hand.

Beretta686

I loaded the boat one night to go duck hunting in the morning. I even put the gun in the gun locker. The next morning I got up drove 60 miles to the boat ramp, went for a 20 minute boat ride, put out 5 dozen decoys, raised the blind on the boat, and pulled the gun case out of the gun box. When I took the gun out of the gun case I had a trigger lock on it with no key. No key in the boat, in my pocket, my truck, only at home. Now that did stink.

I watched wood ducks, teal, and gadwalls all come into the decoys. All I could do was laugh and call my wife to tell her how stupid I was.
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005