Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester Long Beard XR built with TSS instead of lead?

Started by Magdump, March 01, 2018, 11:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdump

Can you imagine the performance if Winchester substituted TSS for lead in their Long Beard XR product?   I think it would utterly dominate the market for longer range capable shotshells. 

bbcoach

No need!!!!  Winchester XR is ALL that is needed to kill turkeys out to respectable distances.  Call them in close, no TURKEY SNIPING!  I knew this was where we were going with TSS!

sevetts

I agree, I've never shot at a bird with a longbeard but I have shot them at paper and they have to be more than capable at the range most of us would say we want to shoot. That being said I'm sure we will see a longbeard XR high density in the near future. Here are some take always I've gotten over the past several weeks. People will pay any amount for turkey loads(I'm not the only one)! And we are not looking for capable 40yrd patterns. You simply don't need 10-12 dollar shells to get that. To have 60yard guns maybe. I really am surprised that all TSS products have sold the way they have. You can bet Winchester keeps tabs on tss the same way we do. Winchesters extended range hd was is the hardest hitting load I've ever shot at a turkey, and it's density was 12gcc. I have never fired a TSS load but a longbeard load of higher density would be an incredible load and wouldn't need to be 18gcc stuff. The problem I would foresee would be them marketing the first 100yrd turkey load...

dirt road ninja

There is a point of diminishing returns on this. I have loaded TSS for a few years, but would have 0 interest in what you have suggested. In fact, now that it's available in factory load form I am considering hunting with my old xx 6's again. If you require more than what TSS can already offer to kill, hunt somewhere it's legal to use a rifle. At shotgun velocities, windage and trajectory compensation become very relevant at current TSS ranges.   

davisd9

Quote from: dirt road ninja on March 01, 2018, 02:29:46 PM
There is a point of diminishing returns on this. I have loaded TSS for a few years, but would have 0 interest in what you have suggested. In fact, now that it's available in factory load form I am considering hunting with my old xx 6's again. If you require more than what TSS can already offer to kill, hunt somewhere it's legal to use a rifle. At shotgun velocities, windage and trajectory compensation become very relevant at current TSS ranges.

Good post! Turkeys are becoming a participation trophy rather than an earned reward!  I have no desire to shoot any farther that i do now or did 5 years ago.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

bbcoach

Quote from: davisd9 on March 01, 2018, 02:40:41 PM

Good post! Turkeys are becoming a participation trophy rather than an earned reward!  I have no desire to shoot any farther that i do now or did 5 years ago.
Great Posts Gentlemen!!!!!  I pray, no hunter gets shot with this stuff because they THOUGHT it was a turkey at those ridiculous distances.  I believe it will happen real soon, especially on public ground.

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: bbcoach on March 01, 2018, 02:52:04 PM

Great Posts Gentlemen!!!!!  I pray, no hunter gets shot with this stuff because they THOUGHT it was a turkey at those ridiculous distances.  I believe it will happen real soon, especially on public ground.

I'm in the same boat as you guys. I load TSS and I'm not inhibited on range up to a point, but I am going to run lead in all my 12's this year. I will still run TSS in my 20, but I have a case of Hevi 6's as well for it.

I got into TSS for the novelty of it and I like handloading. I'm really tired of the guys around my area that never kill more than one bird talking about how they will kill out to 70 or 80 this year. I don't want to be associated with it.

dirt road ninja

The ammunition won't be the problem, if a hunter is unsafe with TSS he is unsafe with lead. I don't think you will see an increase in turkey hunting accidents that is not inline with an increase in participants. 

bbcoach

DRN, I hope you are correct.  My reasoning is denser pellets, additional range, more pellets per ounce and not being able to see what is there at the greater range.  Lead won't hit as hard at the ranges we are talking about and will lose penetration.  TSS will increase range and penetrate.  My hope is those that use this ammo will consider the extended range along with the added density of this shot and realize the added risk.  One pellet of TSS #9 can and will put out an eye at a greater distance than lead.  Please don't get complacent with this stuff.  Always know your background, hopefully know who is hunting around you and Always Think SAFETY!   

snapper1982

No need for a shotlok tss 12 or 20 or even a 28 but it would be awesome in a 410 load.

surehuntsalot

the accidents are coming, it's only a matter of time
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

dirt road ninja

The same can be said for any activity. Don't expect a large spike in them.

Brwndg

My longest kill shot was at a tom was 42 yds.  I have never shot that far before, but this tom was in my deke spread late in the morning when I was off chasing another bird.  I crawled as close as I could in the open grass field and popped up at 42 yds as he was starting to leave.  Load of Win LB 6s dropped him like a hammer!  Not sure I can see the need for TSS in a 12 gauge.  I shoot Fed HW 7s in my 20 gauge, but will not be shooting past 35 yds unless I misjudge the distance by a few yards.
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

Prohunter3509

Keeps going like this calling will be obsolete with decoys and shotguns where hunters can shooter 60 or 70 yds.