Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester Long Beard XR built with TSS instead of lead?

Started by Magdump, March 01, 2018, 11:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbird22

Might step on toes by saying this but FANNING is WAY MORE detrimental to the sport than TSS!

I shoot TSS not to kill turkeys at absurd ranges but to shoot a lightweight gun (20 ga) and still have performance at reasonable distances.

dirt road ninja

I've fanned a couple with tss and enjoyed every minute of it. Didn't feel like I did any harm to the sport. The difference between me and you is I don't care if you don't fan.

Jbird22

Quote from: dirt road ninja on March 05, 2018, 08:52:40 PM
I've fanned a couple with tss and enjoyed every minute of it. Didn't feel like I did any harm to the sport. The difference between me and you is I don't care if you don't fan. 
I don't care if you do or don't fan either. So there's no difference between us there. It just seems like all the folks saying TSS is an accident waiting to happen are overlooking something more dangerous in fanning. Just my $.02....

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Jbird22 on March 05, 2018, 07:08:11 PM
Might step on toes by saying this but FANNING is WAY MORE detrimental to the sport than TSS!

I shoot TSS not to kill turkeys at absurd ranges but to shoot a lightweight gun (20 ga) and still have performance at reasonable distances.
Fanning a shotgun? I have never heard of that, is that the same as when they hold the semi-auto shotgun and make it "bonce" and fire rapidly?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

dirt road ninja

Uneducated, poorly trained hunters are the root causes for most hunting accidents. Way more hunters are going to get killed or injured driving to their spots.

Jbird22

Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 06, 2018, 03:28:42 AM

Fanning a shotgun? I have never heard of that, is that the same as when they hold the semi-auto shotgun and make it "bonce" and fire rapidly?
Uh, no. Fanning = crawling behind a gobbler fan. It has nothing do do with bump stocks nor randomly spraying a shotgun.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Jbird22 on March 06, 2018, 09:30:44 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 06, 2018, 03:28:42 AM

Uh, no. Fanning = crawling behind a gobbler fan. It has nothing do do with bump stocks nor randomly spraying a shotgun.
Ah okay, I agree then, going behind something like that Primos Chicken on a Stick or whatever they call it just seems like asking for trouble.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

snapper1982

Guess you guys better look at stats and stop turkey hunting at all. People get shot every year from using a HEN call and or just from movement. Even just walking.

WNCTracker

Quote from: dirt road ninja on March 06, 2018, 06:10:22 AM
Uneducated, poorly trained hunters are the root causes for most hunting accidents. Way more hunters are going to get killed or injured driving to their spots.
Well said.  I'd add... Will result in stricter laws....and mandatory orange...and poor support and respect  for hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbird22

Quote from: snapper1982 on March 06, 2018, 07:56:28 PM
Guess you guys better look at stats and stop turkey hunting at all. People get shot every year from using a HEN call and or just from movement. Even just walking.
Not sure bout where you live but in MS it's illegal to shoot hens so if someone shoots someone using a HEN call then there are bigger problems..lol

cljohnson24

I don't understand this prejudice against the concept of taking turkeys at distances beyond 40 yds...if someone has a load proven to possess the lethality and patterns well in his gun at XX distance and he has a valid tag in his hand, then that should be his decision. In the end regardless of his decision to use a blind, decoys, scope, 32" barrel, 3.5" shells, tungsten shot, $100 calls, running and gunning, fanning camo and on and on.....
If it's within game laws and legal, there should be no shame in doing so. 
For those of you who "prefer" what you "prefer" you should cut others some slack, and give them proper credit that they've tested/ patterned their equipment rather than "parrot" on and on the outdated notion of 40 yds based upon inferior turkey loads.

I' e heard these same arguments in Ohio when they first allowed straightwall rifles to our shotgun only deer season....
Sure it's easier with a more accurate weapon and some take longer shots than they should, but that also existed with shotguns, but instead they just sprayed slugs until they hit flesh and hoped they found it....Archers in Ohio freaked out and scrutinized crossbows when they legalized them in the early 80's ...proven fact both of these changes have resulted in less wounded deer because they are more accurate for the every day guy to take that animal..

I get the old 40 yd thing, but new technology HAS extended that range regardless if your secret society of "don't speak of shots beyond 40yds" yet still show patterns of HTL with massive numbers @ 40...
Hmm, why buy HTL loads for overkill at 40? How many will admit they too are guilty of "maximizing" their range...Seems awful hypocritical...

Aren't we all here to help each other fill our tags.? Everyone has a differ t meaning of what "turkey hunting" is to them...for me it's about sitting in a blind with my 11 year old, drinking coffee, setting up decoys, trying calls even though we scare more than attract. We've shot them as close as 32 yds and a few that mentioning will get me banned from this site. They wouldn't come any closer to our calls/decoys. Every shot we've taken we had HIGH confidence would drop those birds on the spot...and guess what? They did..have never lost a bird have never had to stomp on a birds head...

I think a lot of guys should stop judging others and be thankful Turkey hunting per numbers are attracting more hunters..and that's a lot more value than doing things the old fasioned way...

Mossyguy

I thought about handloading tss as another hobby since I retired. But I got to thinking...to me it's all about playing the game. If can't call a bird to within that 40 yard mark then obviously I didn't do my part. That gobbler deserves to live another day. I'll go home and figure out what I did wrong and try again another time. I don't want to sit there and say"We'll he didn't like my calling or my setup but it didn't matter since my gun can shoot to 60 yards."  I've been turkey hunting for 30 years and I'm still learning something new everyday. The day I stop learning is the day I'll quit. Just my opinion ????

cljohnson24

I personally would love to see Winchester offer Shot LOK LB's in HTL.  I mean we already have newbies who shoot at 40 yds and see a beautiful pattern with Lead 6's or 5's dusting birds due to lack of knowledge of its energy...HTL would kill them rather than cripple them at those distances.

I for one would buy them just like the rest of those here w/TSS. I'll admit it would be for the purpose of extending the range of lethality to match the extended range the Longbeard Shot LOK technology has provided.
To me there is more danger in offering a lead 6 load with awesome numbers on paper beyond 40 yet lacking the lethality to do the job at which that pattern becomes insufficient.

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

deerpoo22

I hoped with the new TSS craze people would use it for a slight range increase, and to give yourself a buffer on shots where you misjudged the range, but I've heard several stories just from people I know of shooting at turkeys past 100 yards. Truly sickening