OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Delivery Day!!

Started by mahifishn, February 23, 2018, 09:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahifishn

UPS man made my day! I'll be taking the SBEII out Sunday for a couple shots. Jellyhead .660 and Kicks .665

My guess is the .660 will perform better. We shall see. I'll report back.

RemingtonRules

mahifishn

Quote from: RemingtonRules on February 23, 2018, 10:05:08 PM
Going big with the 3.5

All I could get my hands on. Couldn't find 3" anywhere.

mahifishn

Not real happy with the performance of these shells. At 40yds I'd be surprised if I had 100 in the 10" ring.

Out of my Benelli SBE2 12G 26" barrel I tried the jellyhead .660 and kick's .665 neither performed very well. What should I try next?

Gobspur

Did you shoot at a larger target like 4' x 4' to see what your larger pattern is like?  What kind of sights are you using?  Aside from POA/POI problem, might be too tight a constriction for that load. I've read where others have said to use a more open restriction for TSS, like .670-.700.  That tight might be blowing the pattern.  But someone with more knowledge than me can maybe shed some more light.

LaLongbeard

If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

mahifishn

Quote from: Gobspur on February 25, 2018, 08:27:16 PM
Did you shoot at a larger target like 4' x 4' to see what your larger pattern is like?  What kind of sights are you using?  Aside from POA/POI problem, might be too tight a constriction for that load. I've read where others have said to use a more open restriction for TSS, like .670-.700.  That tight might be blowing the pattern.  But someone with more knowledge than me can maybe shed some more light.

I don't use sights, just the regular beads. Wasn't too much worried about POA/POI. At 25 yards the pattern was perfect. 400+ in the 10". But 40 yards  the pattern was 20" or so with less than 100 in the 10".

Coop1082

Still safe to get you a large piece of painters paper and shoot at that and make sure your not just missing the center of your pattern if you didn't actually do that. If you did and it still was only 100 in a 10". your overchoked. You'd be surprised that the more you open a choke up with TSS (especially a 3.5"2.25oz load) the denser the pattern will get. TSS like an open choke.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

mahifishn

I did shoot on a 4'x4'. The majority of the pellets were inside a 20" circle or so, but a lot of flyers well outside of that. After reading the Hornady thread, I picked up this little tidbit, "If I'm not mistaken they used the old federal flight control wad that hates a ported choke. If you do buy them try a standard non-ported modified or full and go from there." I'm wondering if this is the issue. Pretty sure they used the flight control wad in the TSS load.

owlhoot

New flight control wad .
Those in the know say with tss loads to open that choke up.
Of course Federal tss loads are new so that is yet to be seen .
Some of the tss experienced guys should be replying soon.
Good luck  :morning:

deadbuck

You are OVERCHOKING the crap out of that shell. Try your factory flush full tube that came with the gun. Mine with only 2 oz of TSS9 gets 330+- in the 10 inch at 40.

mahifishn

I'll try the factory full choke in the next few days. I'm hoping it's just a choke issue. That would be wonderful if i could get away with running the factory full choke. Definitely shortens the gun up by another 2" or so. Less hanging up on limbs and whatnot trying to sneak through the woods! I'd be okay with that.

taylorjones20

Yeah I would try the factory full first.  But in my SBE2 my 3" handloads shoot 460 in the 10" with Indian Creek .665

You may have to open it up to .670 with that much payload...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Coop1082

As stated already shoot your factory full and go from there. And for what it's worth don't treat TSS like lead in the sense of chasing numbers. If your factory full puts up 350 in the 10" with a wall of even pellets in the 20, that is a money pattern. People get so caught up in the numbers game and trying to get 400+ pellets in a 10" that your defeating the purpose of TSS really. It offers you the ability to open a choke up and be really forgiving at 20 yards and in while still holding 300+ pellets in a 10" at 40.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Gobble!

Can you post picture? Unfortunately we are in the trial and error phase with the Federal TSS loads because no one has really had time to try then through multiple gun/choke combinations. One of the guys who tested these loads early on said the did great with Indian Creek chokes. TSS handloads have historically liked tight Indian Creek chokes.

Quote from: mahifishn on February 26, 2018, 06:10:26 AM
I did shoot on a 4'x4'. The majority of the pellets were inside a 20" circle or so, but a lot of flyers well outside of that.

You said the majority of the pellets were inside a 20" circle but only roughly 100 inside the 10" circle? There are 810 pellets in that load how do you define majority?