OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Delivery Day!!

Started by mahifishn, February 23, 2018, 09:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

briton

Like others already said, try the factory full, you might be surprised. I was getting blown patterns out of my .660 that shoots the old hvy wt 7 great. I'm more of a hunting pattern guy than a #'s guy but still managed 230 +

mahifishn

I'm gonna go ahead and order an IC .665 and shoot that and my full choke. I"ll take pictures this time. I think i may shoot from a lead sled. I don't want to develop a serious flinch. The recoil is no joke on those dang shells.

AgingDisgracefully

I am kind of new to this stuff (in fact very new) and am kind of confused.

I have some #7 Federal TSS inbound in the mail. I am going to be running a Benelli Super Vinci.

When you call Benelli they tell you not to go below their factory .704 modified choke. And they advised not shooting anything like TSS or Hevi shot through anything less than this.

But Indian Creek told me today that they run #9 TSS and Hevi-shot (of various sizes and the Magnum blend) through their .665 Black Diamond. I bought one based on this.

it is OK to run things like TSS or Hevi through a .665 choke on a Super Vinci from a safety standpoint, correct?

Apologies if this is a stupid question. The world of chokes and turkey loads is new to me.

dirt road ninja

You will be fine. I have run it thru IC chokes. That said 7 are a big pellet for turkeys using tss. I'd start with that 704 or the factory full. you are more likely to have trouble patterning with a tight choke. The exception in my experience is with the IC in a 20 gauge.

AgingDisgracefully

Thank you so much.

I am having a devil of a time finding #9 TSS. Where is it available?

What would you use the #7 for?

I assume that in your response you are saying Hevi-shot is also good to go through the IC .665 choke?

Thanks again for suffering my noobness.

dirt road ninja

Your gold with hevi and a 665. I hand load, my source is the same guy most use. There is nothing wrong with the 7's, but the take up more room in the shell, thus limiting numbers. I would say they would make an awesome long-range goose load. The reason federal is loading them is 9's aren't legal everwhere.

AgingDisgracefully

Gobble!

Shooting a 870 I used a .665 Indian Creek for some of my 2.5oz hand loads and pattern was 550/260 but wasn't the most even. Used a .675 Indian Creek and get 500/300 patterns that are much more even.

Everyones still trying to figure out what these new Federal shells will like but a Indian Creek is probably a solid starting point. You could call Indian Creek and see what construction they recommend for the shell you are shooting. Their customer service is top shelf.

potter

I would worry more about the flight control wad , I shoot fed 7 hw  which has a flight control wad , my poi is not  very consistent,  and I need a very clean barrel, to get good patterns