turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

3” turkey shells

Started by BobWalters, February 20, 2018, 07:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobWalters

Looking for some recommendations on some 3" turkey shells to go out and buy and start patterning with to see what the gun likes best. Anyone have any recommendations on your favorite 3" shells and what shot size is best to go with? Looked at my local store and there are tons of turkey shells. Hate to buy one of every box just to see what goes best, looking for recommendations on 2-4 to start with to see what'll pattern best. Something that would be usable with a full choke.

I do hear a lot about the federal premium 3rd degree.

Boilermaker

A few to try are the Winchester Longbeard XR in #5's or #6's.  I also like the hevishot hevi 13s in #5's, #6's, or #7's.  The hevishot magnum blends are also a contender.  It's an expensive undertaking but it's best to grab a box of each and pattern with your gun and choke combo to see what works best.  I think it's a lot of fun to test loads and chokes, but it is taxing on the wallet.  But then again, we all live to hunt turkeys so what's a few extra bills spent for the cause?  Have fun and best of luck finding the right combo for you!   :fud:

northms

I shoot the Winchester Longbeards 3" #6 and my brother shoots #5. They throw a great pattern out to 40 yards in my Mossberg turkey thug 835. They're a great price also. $20 for a box of 10.

Grab you some longbeards and go hunt. (After patterning)

BobWalters

Don't know if it matters but gun is a Benelli M2 field 26" barrel using the factory supplied crio flush fit chokes

g8rvet

Poke around in this section. 

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/board,257.0.html

I did that when I got my TK2000 Muzzleloader and my Weatherby 20 gauge.  See what other folks have used and it is a good start.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

howl

+1 on reading on here. There's probably an example of what someone else did with what you have. It's a shortcut. Otherwise, factory full choke with Federal 2oz lead #5s with Flite Control seems to work out fairly often.

worth612000

Quote from: BobWalters on February 20, 2018, 07:57:30 PM
Don't know if it matters but gun is a Benelli M2 field 26" barrel using the factory supplied crio flush fit chokes

You will need to buy an extended turkey choke tube to get a good dence pattern for turkey hunting in my opinion. Probably 99 % or better of members on here do. And your choke will depend on the size and type of shot you choose

G8vet gave some good advice. But most are counting numbers, you may not want such a tight pattern, so ask questions

Damson

I have always had good luck with Winchester Longbeard XR 5 or 6 shot.  They are also running a rebate on them right now.  I've also had good luck with Hevi-shot 6's.  I believe they have a rebate too.  I've tried Hornady 5-6 in both my Remington 1187 (Kick's GT choke) and Mossberg 500 (Carlson Choke), and it didn't like either one.

I've always wanted to try the 3rd degree.  I know the older flite control wad in the 3rd degree wasn't recommended when using a ported choke.  Their new wad is apparently compatible with ported or non ported chokes.   

Premier Turkey Calls

I currently use longbeard xr but every year I will buy 1 different box to compare and record the results. Or I will buy the same brand but in a different shot size or length.

dirt road ninja

I go another route. Figure out what you want to shoot then make your gun shoot it.

BobWalters

So far I've got a box of 3" Winchester Longbeard XR #5, but haven't shot any yet. Found em for $15 for 10 shells. Also looking at the Trulock Longbeard XR choke.

worth612000

That sounds like a good combination to me cause that choke is designed for the Long Beard shells. And if you want even more shot "density" in the pattern you can move up to the LB 6's without added a whole lot of money

Marc

The denser materials tend to pattern a bit better (i.e. tighter) than does lead...  I currently shoot Hevi-Shot #6's and they pattern quite well out to 40 yards with a standard full choke...  At 30-35 yards (where I shoot a good percentage of my birds) I have a really good pattern.

The denser shot also has better ballistic qualities and will get better penetration down-range than will lead.

I generally pattern with light-recoiling inexpensive target loads to see where the gun shoots, and put a shot or two of my actual turkey loads on paper to see what they are doing... 
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

shaman

I have been shooting Federal 3" 12 GA 2OZ  #4's since 1996. About a decade ago I started using a Carlson's Dead Coyote.   Many gobblers have felt the  sting, but not for long.  Up until a couple of years ago, I only had taken  shot one gobbler at 40 yards. However, in '16, I misjudged one in a field and managed to bag him at 80 yards. It's a long story.  I'd expected him at 20 yards.   It would not be anything I'd recommend, but the load did knock one over at that distance.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Premier Turkey Calls

Quote from: shaman on March 25, 2018, 05:55:29 AM
I have been shooting Federal 3" 12 GA 2OZ  #4's since 1996. About a decade ago I started using a Carlson's Dead Coyote.   Many gobblers have felt the  sting, but not for long.  Up until a couple of years ago, I only had taken  shot one gobbler at 40 yards. However, in '16, I misjudged one in a field and managed to bag him at 80 yards. It's a long story.  I'd expected him at 20 yards.   It would not be anything I'd recommend, but the load did knock one over at that distance.
Don't mean to be that guy but you might want to read rule 3... Good reminder for everyone. http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,10013.0.html