OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 3” turkey shells  (Read 13216 times)

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: 3” turkey shells
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2020, 06:17:48 PM »
Looking for some recommendations on some 3” turkey shells to go out and buy and start patterning with to see what the gun likes best. Anyone have any recommendations on your favorite 3” shells and what shot size is best to go with? Looked at my local store and there are tons of turkey shells. Hate to buy one of every box just to see what goes best, looking for recommendations on 2-4 to start with to see what’ll pattern best. Something that would be usable with a full choke.

I do hear a lot about the federal premium 3rd degree.

I highlighted the best part. Lol I was that guy ..100 boxes of shells ago :funnyturkey:

So please wrap up this thread and tell us how it went 100 boxes of shells back. What did you end up hunting with and how were your pattern?
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2020, 04:54:01 PM »
I just shoot xx upland game loads #6 3in.
Never needed anything else in a 12ga.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline adamg

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2020, 04:24:06 AM »
Another vote here for the Longbeard XR.  I shoot 3" #6s out of my 870 with a Patternmaster Turkey choke and they work very well.  Hevishot MagBlends are awesome too, but for the money... LBXR.

Offline bonasa

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2020, 07:26:14 PM »
From a price perspective Longbeard XR 6's would be the best and best patterning lead shell. Although I have shot a bunch of birds with federal mag-shok 6's.

Although if you simply want to use a regular full choke I'd choose a small shot size HTL load as they would pattern the best.

Offline jpc1317

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2020, 12:27:28 PM »
I have always shot whatever I can get my hands on. I’ve been shooting Magnum blend the past 5 years and they have worked great. You can pattern all you want, but that only helps when taking 50+ pace shots.

If you can properly get your bird in a killable range (45 paces is all I would go with a standard 3” 12 Ga. and I like to have them about 35 max), blaming your pattern for missing a bird is a terrible excuse.

Also, getting birds into these proper ranges where you feel confident in cleanly killing them, will also make sure you know exactly what you’re shooting at and not another hunter.

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2020, 09:02:08 AM »
I never got the performance I wanted until I started loading tss for myself, Mike

Online Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2020, 03:04:25 PM »
I never got the performance I wanted until I started loading tss for myself, Mike
What is that performance you were looking for???

What exactly makes it worth the time and money to upgrade from lead or Hevi-Shot?  Patterning, down-range energy?  How much of a difference are you seeing?

Honestly, I switched to Hevi-shot some time ago, and have yet to hit a bird that did not go right down & dead...  But, It is more likely than not that lead would have killed these birds just as well.  Hevi-shot does pattern better and more consistently.  It opens up a bit slower, allowing from me to use a bit more open choke (i.e. standard factory full) and maintain good patterns from in-my-face to 40+ yards with slightly more open patterns at very close ranges than lead with tighter chokes...

It sounds like you have done your research, and I would be very curious as to what the improvements were from leadd to TSS, and from Hevi-shot to TSS???

Also with lead being illegal to shoot in California, there was no way I would go to steel, so a switch up to Hevi-shot was a no-brainer...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline rgref522

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2020, 12:37:40 PM »
like others said i would start on the lead train and test longbeards and grand slams, then if you want to spend more try the hevi shot, then tss. just be sure to keep your testing consistent to best compare results.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline High plains drifter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2021, 12:56:15 AM »
Remington long range.BB

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2021, 12:27:20 PM »
3" Hevi-13, 2 oz, #6 through a .660 original Jellyhead in an 870 Super Mag is what I shoot. Not a turkey walking the planet that it won`t drop stone dead out to 40 yards. I like to shoot, however, 35 and in. The problem now is just finding those shells.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2021, 09:54:50 AM »
Remington long range.BB

Seriously?  ...Not sure, but I suspect that would be illegal in a lot of places nowadays.  Frankly, my opinion is that is a REALLY poor choice for shooting turkeys,...but that is just it,... my opinion.  If it is legal, shoot what you want,...but please let them get REAL close if you are going to shoot BB's. 

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2021, 11:10:37 AM »
Remington long range.BB

Seriously?  ...Not sure, but I suspect that would be illegal in a lot of places nowadays.  Frankly, my opinion is that is a REALLY poor choice for shooting turkeys,...but that is just it,... my opinion.  If it is legal, shoot what you want,...but please let them get REAL close if you are going to shoot BB's.
In my state you could legally shoot a slug gun. Doesn’t mean I find it ethical or have any interest in doing so, but you could. The only restrictions in the regs are with regard to, “use [of] any handgun or rifle to hunt wild turkey.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2021, 11:35:05 AM »
Any 3 inch, 2 or BB.Copper plated.

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2021, 11:03:48 PM »
I always use lead, 1 7/8 oz. Federal Premium BB.Carlson extra full choke.12 gauge.