OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Had a pretty cool design idea

Started by CMBOSTC, February 18, 2018, 10:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yelpy

A neighbor of mine use to make pots in the same shape about 20 years ago. Looking good!!

southern_leo

Quote from: sbbow on February 19, 2018, 06:04:35 AM
Vince Vector has been using that design since 2002 an the cedar come from his uncle an grandfather that milled it. The design that u are using isn't nothing new. It would be a gentlemen's way it stop using it IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gotta stand up for Chris here. First it's a shape. Shapes are not patented. Most pots are round, you think we should stop making round pots since someone else started it? I'm not familiar with vector but I've seen octagon pots before. I'd bet Vector wasn't the first one either. Second Chris is one of the most stand up guys in the forum, look through his posts. You won't find him being negative or copying others ideas. And third, and the biggest one, your the one out of place here. If you don't like Chris's design for whatever reason then PM him. Don't high jack the thread and bombard it with photos of another maker. Your posts here are obsurd. I hope Shannon sees this post and addresses it. Your unwarranted accusations could hurt a man's business and that's wrong to post in public.

Chris I think your a fine call maker who contributes alot here. I appreciate yours posts.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

southern_leo

And for ring and pen. Are you referring to the sound board holes being in a ring and Chris using a pen to sign it? If so check out the pot call section, call making section, and classifieds. Your in for a shock if you think Chris copied that.

JLH

I like the design, and the idea of green slate over slate.

It seems I always perfer the sound of a slate soundboard....and I'd imagine in that cedar pot, it will reach out there if needed.

CMBOSTC

I am truly humbled by the support of everyone, it was never my intention for all of this commotion. I did receive a reply email from Vince. I'm not going to go in to detail but, I am disappointed that he doesn't share my perspective. I have always tried to be on the right side of issues. While I understand the views against my making this call, I have to stand up for myself just as I have for others. An octagon is a basic shape that no one owns, it's not a unique design and I will continue to make them. Thank you for your support!

Chris
Gobble, Gobble... "BOOM"!

sbbow

Quote from: southern_leo on February 19, 2018, 11:12:44 AM
Vince Vector has been using that design since 2002 an the cedar come from his uncle an grandfather that milled it. The design that u are using isn't nothing new. It would be a gentlemen's way it stop using it IMO.

I gotta stand up for Chris here. First it's a shape. Shapes are not patented. Most pots are round, you think we should stop making round pots since someone else started it? I'm not familiar with vector but I've seen octagon pots before. I'd bet Vector wasn't the first one either. Second Chris is one of the most stand up guys in the forum, look through his posts. You won't find him being negative or copying others ideas. And third, and the biggest one, your the one out of place here. If you don't like Chris's design for whatever reason then PM him. Don't high jack the thread and bombard it with photos of another maker. Your posts here are obsurd. I hope Shannon sees this post and addresses it. Your unwarranted accusations could hurt a man's business and that's wrong to post in public.

Chris I think your a fine call maker who contributes alot here. I appreciate yours posts.

These 2 callmakers know each other from a callmakers forum so there is a connection there so to speak.  All I did was point out that these 2 pot look awful lot alike for some reason. There was an email sent. If someone is going to copy another callmakers design then he should at least change it up don't you think to make it his own. What to say another callmakers can't make Lyman , Platz, Corder etc. then you have all the knockoffs out there. In fact Corder has had that happen.

CMBOSTC

I'm going to correct you sbbow, he may have known me but I didn't know him. Apparently, we are members on THO. I don't look at everyone's post's on every forum or Facebook. I have already said that I didn't copy anything. You can see that the two calls are different. Again, an octagon is a common shape. The idea came from a wind chime anchor that I had made for my wife's wind chime, not someone's call.

Chris

sbbow

Quote from: C. Brumfiel on February 19, 2018, 12:07:17 PM
I'm going to correct you sbbow, he may have known me but I didn't know him. Apparently, we are members on THO. I don't look at everyone's post's on every forum or Facebook. I have already said that I didn't copy anything. You can see that the two calls are different. Again, an octagon is a common shape. The idea came from a wind chime anchor that I had made for my wife's wind chime, not someone's call.

Chris

You were right the first time when you called me a trouble maker(edit). I'll stand up for my friends when need be. I've known Vince for along time and can honestly call him a friend.

CMBOSTC

CMBOSTC

Thanks for all of the orders guys. I only have 18 green slate surfaces, does anyone know where I can get more? Brookside is out.

ChainReactionGC

If he didn't know he really can't be blamed. Chris could have worded it different than "new idea", or whatever, but he must have truly believed that he wasn't copying anything. , if people quit making calls because they looked like someone else's, there wouldn't be many calls left. Lol. How many make the same exact bottom on their calls with the small lip cut away from the bottom ledge (like corders)? Hell, they are everywhere.  I personally wouldn't use the design, just because I don't want anything that looks like anyone else's. One must do a lot of research to stay away from "copying" when it comes to a basic round object.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mspaci

Corder didn't come up with the lip design thing, I was doing that 15 years ago before I ever saw a call of his. I am sure mine wasn't original either. Truth is there isn't much out there that hasn't been done. Get over  it, Mike

Double B

Actually the pots look a little different.  Vector is a true octagon pot, and the Brumfiel looks to be a round pot with an octagon lip.  Seen calls similar to this design before, Hardy's had some at an outdoor show I was at recently.  Hickory Tavern makes octogen pots I seen in Midwest turkey call.  Nicely done Chris!
Followed by buzzards

ChainReactionGC

Quote from: mspaci on February 19, 2018, 01:44:51 PM
Corder didn't come up with the lip design thing, I was doing that 15 years ago before I ever saw a call of his. I am sure mine wasn't original either. Truth is there isn't much out there that hasn't been done. Get over  it, Mike
Yea, figured so. He was just one of the more popular names that popped in my head.
You're right, just keep on moving forward.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

southern_leo

Anyone who makes pots can instantly see differences. Including Chris has consistent side walls and vector doesn't,
Chucking method is different, pot overall shape is different. Let's move on past this. If anything this thread has made vector look bad. It's hilarious to me that someone actually thinks they have rights to a shape. Better get ready to sue stop sign companies too because I bet they copied vector also.