OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Spring Scouting Ethics-- how would members handle this??

Started by quavers59, February 14, 2018, 03:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greencop01

I have been 'checked' on also. Almost the same way. Another guy was checking on me, and said he'ld do the same thing on opening day. This was his spot on public land. And I was a game warden (Env Police) at the time, he didn't know it. I told him it was evident he wasn't raised properly and turned and left without another word. He followed me out and was parked so I couldn't leave. At the same time a state truck drove by and stopped cause he recognized my truck. The rude fellow then left. It is a reflection of the society we live in. But it won't change me. When I come on a truck parked where I hunt I drive on to the next spot. We live in a bad time, and I for one will not not hunt or associate with such people. If more people did this it might change things. If these people are like this with strangers imagine how they are like with their families. I feel sorry for them. I pray that the Lord will show them the errors of their ways. Life is too short to lose sleep over these things. But I won't let them change me to their low ways. I will walk the high road. Move on to the next 'tall timber Gabriel.'
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

guesswho

I doubt if he would have ever had the opportunity to speak to me if I was there first.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

LaLongbeard

I've seen a lot over the years hunting public land. I go out of my way to avoid other hunters. Sometimes on National forest land with so many roads you can't get far enough away from them. I've come to the desision if someone comes in on me by accident is one thing but if done on purpose we're going to have a problem right there. Feel free to role over an let people walk over you if you want I've got other plans.
Id have offered that guy to shut up once ....after that it's on him.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Gobbler428

That type situation, among others, is why I pay to hunt private land.  If you hunt public land, this type situation, unfortunately, "comes with the territory".

quavers59

Well Phillipshunt-- I have a long fuse and being a Public Land Turkey Hunter-- I have seen alot of different people. This guy did not have a bad attitude at least and I moved on. Best to avoid any type of Confrontation if possible. More so in the still semi-dark woods. I used to teach the martial arts and avoiding any escalating situation is your best bet.

fallhnt

Quote from: saverx on February 14, 2018, 07:01:09 PM
I would have shot his truck but then again I am from the south.
South Detroit? He was scouting not hunting. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

LaLongbeard

quavers59 the letting someone walk over you comment wasn't directed to you. I wish I had a longer fuse but I don't and if I know someone is intentionally trying to ruin my hunt I feel it is only right to ruin his day.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Kylongspur88

I don't have much to say to people on public land. But then against I don't see many people where I hunt. Big steep hills are your friend on public land and tend to insulate you from the other hunters.

g8rvet

I messed a guy up one time.  He was hunting a bird right near the main road.  But there was a washout and he drove 3 miles around and came back to the bird from south of it, so I had no way of knowing he was there.  I had seen the bird's tracks scouting. I was late because I had been to a private spot but the owner's son had shown up so I left him to hunt it alone and moved to public. I chose this bird knowing if someone was hunting there, they would park their truck right by the main road.  Figured I would mess no one else up being late. We stepped out and the bird gobbled so we moved in on him.  After it was over (he liked my nephew's calling better, just did not offer a shot as he walked by him) the dude comes out (or across the creek really).  I asked if he had been hunting there and he acted disgusted.  I pointed out where he should have parked but still apologized to him several times.  Then he started acting like a male appendage.  I just told him "Life's tough, slick, get a helmet".  My nephew walked up as we were escalating and told him it was public land, tough feces.  He changed his tune.  But I always start nice. Only really bad one I have had.  Had birds I was working shot, but from the other side of the creek or swamp, certainly not their fault.  Heck, I have probably done it to someone and did not know it.

Now duck hunting?  I got a ton of stories. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Tail Feathers

I've walked up on another hunter or two.  Had it done to me as well.  It was never intentional and it happens.  If I'm close to the hunter, I'll speak very softly to apologize and back out fast.  If I'm not very close, I'll wave and beat feet the way I came from.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

GobbleNut

Quote from: quavers59 on February 14, 2018, 03:11:01 PM
I could see 3-toed tracks in the mud. The middle toe being a good 4'.

If I saw tracks in the mud with the middle toe 4' long, I wouldn't be worried about another hunter,...other than hoping I could outrun him.   ;D :toothy12:

joey46

Quote from: Tail Feathers on February 14, 2018, 09:03:46 PM
I've walked up on another hunter or two.  Had it done to me as well.  It was never intentional and it happens.  If I'm close to the hunter, I'll speak very softly to apologize and back out fast.  If I'm not very close, I'll wave and beat feet the way I came from.

That about says it all.  Good plan for any public land.

quavers59

Plenty of good replys here. My Sister said it best-- everyone wants the big bird. I get up later when I scout. I am up by 3am  when I hunted though and usually don't see another hunter until on the way out.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 14, 2018, 09:18:44 PM
Quote from: quavers59 on February 14, 2018, 03:11:01 PM
I could see 3-toed tracks in the mud. The middle toe being a good 4'.

If I saw tracks in the mud with the middle toe 4' long, I wouldn't be worried about another hunter,...other than hoping I could outrun him.   ;D :toothy12:
:TooFunny:

Deast1988

It's common, we leave early get in early. First to park at spot. Leave truck only vehicle at the gate. When we left after we killed a bird. 5 trucks decided to park right behind us. No courtesy no plan B literally all in the same block of woods.

I went to each vehicle and put a patch of chest feathers under the windshield wipers. Why? To show them one less bird was there for them to hunt.