Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Spring Scouting Ethics-- how would members handle this??

Started by quavers59, February 14, 2018, 03:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

I know alot of members here will start their scouting soon-- so I wanted to post this as it may have happened to you as well.  OK- so, I was parked at a public area in New Jersey less then 1 week before last years Spring opener in New Jersey. I walked in around 200 yards or so and it was roughly 55 minutes before Sunrise. I knew, I would start to hear gobbling in about 10 more minutes or so. Less then 10 minutes later, I could see a very slow-moving form of another turkey scouter through the light fog. Now- before he walked up- I could see 3-toed tracks in the mud. The middle toe being a good 4'. Alot of tracks and some droppings that I could see  with the Sun just starting to rise in the East.  I was hoping that this scouter would walk on by me on that woodsroad with a hushed hi- but he stopped to talk and he talked in a normal voice. I quickly put my forefinger to my mouth and said -Schhhhh and pointed up a ridge where I was waiting to hear the first gobble. He kept talking though and said that there used to be more turkeys back here and he lives just a piece down the road and has taken many back here. Anyway- what can you do- I know his non-stop talking was on purpose. No gobbling anywhere of course that morning. I found later that day- another way to access this area. I was nice enough to him even though, I knew what he was doing . This ever happen to other Spring turkey scouters here??

Spitten and drummen

Down here in the south , people get into fist fights over turkeys. Deer hunters get pissy but turkey hunters get enraged. Only thing I can say about your situation is it's public land and folks have as much right as the next to be there and do as they please as long as it's legal. Always were told by others that if you were unhappy about it , save your money and lease or buy your own property.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

joey46

Part of the game down here in FL. Public land sees the most cut throat bunch of "sportsmen" I've ever encountered. Dealing with one now that feels since he lives close to a certain WMA that he owns it. Very frustrating. My ONLY rule is get there first.  Walking into a spot three hours before dawn is almost normal for us on a public land hunt. Don't get me started on the "flagging tape" contingent :angry9:.  Flagging tape is trash IMO.

quavers59

The Scouter probably wanted to start his Spring Season right close to where I was standing.  I know all the woodroads and trails back here like he does. Just decided to park elsewhere next time. He was a veteran Spring hunter as well and said he always takes his 2 Tom's I. NJ and another 2 in NY.  I guess I am used to this stuff as I only human public lands

FullChoke

I would ask him to lower his voice one time. If he didn't, I'd just walk away. That should get him to shut up, unless he just likes to talk to himself at full volume.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

WW

If that's the game he wants to play, just go in there and scatter a 5 gallon bucket of shelled corn. If you can't hunt it, then neither will he...

trkehunr93

Public is public, walk in an additional 500-600 yards to put some distance between you and others or as you did find another access point. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cut N Run

At least you ran into another hunter who had a little bit of sense, even if he wasn't being very stealthy.  That jack@$$ was obviously trying to get over on you. 

Here in NC on some public land, I had a guy start hollering for his buddy because they'd gotten separated and the hollering man had gotten their vehicle stuck in the mud.  Brilliant, huh?  You can guess how many gobblers we heard that morning.  He never knew I was there, but he also had no clue how many gobblers had been using the area before his yelling. *where is the facepalm emoji when you need it?*

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Happy

It's public land. Treat others the way you would like to be treated and all you can hope for is that they will do the same. Oftentimes they won't but that's the way it goes. No use whining about it. Either work around it or move on. It seems to me you do a lot of complaining about all the people that you run into. I am not trying to be mean at all but you may want to look at things from another angle. I am sure I have unintentionally screwed things up. Heck I once called three hot toms off of other hunters and my friend I was guiding killed one. Now I called these birds 180 degreed from where these two fellows were set up but I never heard a peep from them. Only way I knew was we walked out that way and walked right into their setup. I felt bad but all the apologies in the world won't take it back. I return I have lost track of the amount of toms that have been shot by rifle hunters that sneak in and pick off a bird I am working in Wv. It's life you move on and try as hard as you can to be respectful of others. Work harder and smarter to cut down on the intrusions and that's all you can do. Once again I am not trying to be mean but just get you to think about it a bit.
Good luck this spring.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Cut N Run

Quote from: Happy on February 14, 2018, 04:42:07 PM
It's public land. Treat others the way you would like to be treated and all you can hope for is that they will do the same. Oftentimes they won't but that's the way it goes. No use whining about it. Either work around it or move on. It seems to me you do a lot of complaining about all the people that you run into. I am not trying to be mean at all but you may want to look at things from another angle. I am sure I have unintentionally screwed things up. Heck I once called three hot toms off of other hunters and my friend I was guiding killed one. Now I called these birds 180 degreed from where these two fellows were set up but I never heard a peep from them. Only way I knew was we walked out that way and walked right into their setup. I felt bad but all the apologies in the world won't take it back. I return I have lost track of the amount of toms that have been shot by rifle hunters that sneak in and pick off a bird I am working in Wv. It's life you move on and try as hard as you can to be respectful of others. Work harder and smarter to cut down on the intrusions and that's all you can do. Once again I am not trying to be mean but just get you to think about it a bit.
Good luck this spring.

^^This is also some of why I hunt smaller farms and woodlots.  Not only is it all I have access to, but the ratio of fools in the woods is lower...mostly.  I do have joggers, nature hikers, and people walking their dogs screw me up sometimes, but I think the turkeys in those areas are more accustomed to the disruption and not as bothered by it as big woods birds who seldom see humans.

Jim

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

quavers59

No it does not bother me Happy.  Just wanted to see some replys to see how common this is. Very common from what I have read already.  I will say that some Spring Turkey Hunters think they own a certain segment of Public Land . I think those are the Dudes who will  try somehow to get you to move on and out.

MK M GOBL

I have been on both sides of this, I have been in a spot and had others walk up on me and I have walked up on others. In the latter portion of this I quietly move on, hunter ethics. I have had a few issues even on private land where others felt it was ok to hunt through the fence as long as they shot from their side, of course they crossed to get the dead bird... I have had an incident where another hunter purposely parked a truck right in front of my hunting spot, he had easement across the property but left the truck on the easement and not through to the other property...  I handle these with a grain of salt and leave them with a discussion on about what they are doing...

Pic was opening day of youth season, dealt with it and moved on. 2nd pic is of our 2nd set of the day!

I think we all deal with this public & private in cases. I hold myself to a standard of ethics.

MK M GOBL

Happy

Good. Glad you aren't upset. But also remember that there aren't many guys fighting for the realky hard to access places and those that do typically aren't the type to screw up your day intentionally.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

SteelerFan

As soon as the encounter & conversation takes place... scouting is over. I would act as if I didn't know a bird was within 2 miles, and or find another path less traveled. Him shutting up while I'm listening would be the least of my concerns.

saverx

I would have shot his truck but then again I am from the south.