turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Remington Filing Bankruptcy

Started by taylorjones20, February 13, 2018, 09:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mspaci

Some of their stuff is still excellent, the 700 rifle & variations, 7600 for example IMO. But they aren't $200. They do not sell because people buy cheap firearms. I was given a 710 bolt action, its junk compared to a higher end bolt. Mike

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Phillipshunt on February 13, 2018, 03:11:58 PM
I'd still prefer Trump to Obama bankruptcy or not lol

Exactly. If queen Hillary would have been elected we really would be in a dark place.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

taylorjones20

Quote from: Phillipshunt on February 13, 2018, 03:11:58 PM
I'd still prefer Trump to Obama bankruptcy or not lol

Ain't that the truth!!!!!
Alive only by the Grace Of God

FL-Boss

bbcoach

FL boss, I didn't mean to jump on you, I was stating that Trump didn't start this decline.  I own 3 Remington firearms 1100, 870 and 700 BDL from the 70 and 80's.  LOVE them.  Many shells through all 3.  But the current president didn't have a thing to do with Remmy going out of business.  For years, American gun companies have had to compete with overseas companies for market share.  To compete, they have had to cut corners.  In some cases, many corners and quality has slipped greatly.  Obama (FEAR=Market) was the Band aid that kept these companies going.  Now it's time to pay the Piper.  I've always been a walnut wood stock guy but it's hard to find a rifle or shotgun now that doesn't have many stamped parts and tons of plastic.  We (Hunters) are a dying breed.  Fewer young people are interested in the outdoors and as such more outdoor companies will be following this same practice or you will see companies consolidating.  Cabelas and Bass Pro are just the tip of iceberg.  Just saying.

FL-Boss

I see your point bbcoach and I agree the quality and lack of future buyers is fading.   My point was it's just not Remington. It's all the big U.S. gun companies.. Interesting read - https://nypost.com/2016/11/21/trump-win-sinks-gun-stocks-and-gun-shop-sales/

https://nypost.com/2017/12/08/smith-wesson-owners-stock-takes-a-shot-to-the-gut/

Premier Turkey Calls

It's funny how someone has 1 bad experience with a product and they call it junk. And it's kind of adorable of those who say, "they don't make them like they used to." Of course they don't. They have to make the product cheaper to stay competitive. I have shot several 870's over the years and they have all been amazing. Yes Remington has struggled with handguns but they make quality shotguns and rifles. Yes they've had recalls but what gun manufacture hasn't. I bet that the people calling them junk shoot the $1800 Benelli Super Black Eagle 3 and think that a $300 shotgun should work just as well and when it doesn't they think that it's sub par. There has been a reason that they have sold millions of 870's and 700's.

davisd9

Quote from: Premier Turkey Calls on February 13, 2018, 07:11:54 PM
It's funny how someone has 1 bad experience with a product and they call it junk. And it's kind of adorable of those who say, "they don't make them like they used to." Of course they don't. They have to make the product cheaper to stay competitive. I have shot several 870's over the years and they have all been amazing. Yes Remington has struggled with handguns but they make quality shotguns and rifles. Yes they've had recalls but what gun manufacture hasn't. I bet that the people calling them junk shoot the $1800 Benelli Super Black Eagle 3 and think that a $300 shotgun should work just as well and when it doesn't they think that it's sub par. There has been a reason that they have sold millions of 870's and 700's.

I called it junk and I have messed with a good number of the 870s in the last 10 years helping people get them set up. I have an 11-87 20 ga in the safe that rusts when you breath on it. I picked up the 700 and sat it down cause it felt like sand paper when working the bolt, I was promised it would get better with use, but the Savage I bought felt good right then and there. Never own a Benelli. I turkey hunt with a Mossberg 500 and duck hunt with a 835 I used to turkey hunt with. Some of us has more experience with what we are talking about than you are willing to give us credit for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

owlhoot

The last 2 700's I bought  within the last 4 years work and shoot just fine .

Premier Turkey Calls

[/quote]

I called it junk and I have messed with a good number of the 870s in the last 10 years helping people get them set up. I have an 11-87 20 ga in the safe that rusts when you breath on it. I picked up the 700 and sat it down cause it felt like sand paper when working the bolt, I was promised it would get better with use, but the Savage I bought felt good right then and there. Never own a Benelli. I turkey hunt with a Mossberg 500 and duck hunt with a 835 I used to turkey hunt with. Some of us has more experience with what we are talking about than you are willing to give us credit for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/quote]

Saying that something is junk is all about perception. That stiff bolt on your 700 might go unnoticed to someone where that's all that they've ever known. Growing up shooting guns I never noticed trigger pull weight because I was unaware that trigger pulls varied significantly or affected the shot. I just shot guns and adapted to how they operated and thought nothing of it. When I learned about trigger pull affecting accuracy, then I started to nitpick triggers. The gun's that you say are junk and have problems with may not be a problem for the next guy because they've adapted to it's situation. Your 11-87 that rusts might not be a problem for the average guy who adapted to it and his solution is to apply extra oil. My point is that calling a gun junk is mere opinion. I could call a Benelli junk because it misfired where my Ruger never misfired therefore it's superior. Opinion.

Old Gobbler

They will likely emerge through this , but may be forced to sell off thier numerous divisions/companies like bushmaster

Nearly 1 billion in debt is no joke.

I will say the remington ammunition. ..not sure if dupont still controls that is a utter joke in its waterfowl and turkey selections and its.been stagnant for 30 years in that area--sleeping at the wheel
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Kylongspur88

I have 4 Remington shotguns (all pre 2000) and all are great hunting guns. Ugly as mud posts, but great guns. Their core lock ammo also shoots very well in my -06.

I've looked at some of their new guns but they feel cheap in fit and finish.

I'm just sorry they bought Marlin which has really gone down hill. If Remington has to sell off divisions, hopefully Marlin gets  bought by another gun maker who will improve quality...

Premier Turkey Calls

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on February 13, 2018, 08:45:47 PM
I have 4 Remington shotguns (all pre 2000) and all are great hunting guns. Ugly as mud posts, but great guns. Their core lock ammo also shoots very well in my -06.

I've looked at some of their new guns but they feel cheap in fit and finish.

I'm just sorry they bought Marlin which has really gone down hill. If Remington has to sell off divisions, hopefully Marlin gets  bought by another gun maker who will improve quality...

They feel cheap because they're being compared to your previous guns. Someone picking the new 870 up for the first time might say it feels like a solid gun. Feeling cheap is different than being cheap. And yes they have changed the gun. If they built the 870 the way they used to it wouldn't be as affordable as it is now. I own a post 2000 870 and despite it "feeling cheap" I have yet to have a problem.

greencop01

Model 870 over 12,000,000 ; Model  700 over 6,000,000 ; Model 1100 over 4,000,000 ; Model 760 over 1,000,000 ; Model 742 over 1,500,000 ; Nylon 66 over 1,250,000 ; I bought an 870 Turkey/Predator new 5 yrs ago and it has performed flawlessly and killed every turkey shot at, I own a Special Field 20 ga, an 1187 12 ga and an 1100 12 ga in the last 30 yrs and all performed flawlessly. That's proof to me. I know something else (no offense meant) but opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one. Give me a Remington any day. My  :z-twocents: worth.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Chris O

Figures I just bought an 870 youth turkey gun for myself Sunday. I know they aren't what they used to be but it was one that I could get a 21 inch barrel in. I grew up on Remington and still have a 1970's wingmaster that was passed down to me from my dad. It has taken a lot of game. I also have a couple model 700's that were from the 90's and are awesome rifles.Hopefully the new one holds up