turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NWFT Convention

Started by KYHeadhunter02, February 10, 2018, 12:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

southern_leo

This is what I say to my friends that don't turkey hunt or that aren't too interested in the convention....

If it's not your thing that's cool then don't go. But I encourage it if you hunting anything. Reasons why
1. You see alot of cool stuff. Even the taxidermy competition, new hunting products for all kinds of hunting not just turkey. You see new guns and bows from some companies and can go hands on.
2. Nwtf is a good cause, but consider this. If you ever think you may be curious you can join the nwtf and get in for free, and get a $25 BPS card so you get a day of entertainment for $10. Then go next door to bass pro.
3. And last but not least SALES!! Many vendors including camo clothing and other turkey and non turkey items run show specials. I know my buddy buys his camo there each year for a fraction of the cost. And this is name brand stuff.

As I mentioned above if you ever do go then go Friday. I don't like big crowds so I've never gone Saturday or Sunday just from what friends have told me. And actually friday after lunch gets a bit busy for me so I'm there when they open.

It's a blast. I would highly encourage all hunters to go at least once. I've seen alot of cool stuff there and talked to some cool people. Like I said if it's not your thing I understand, but don't NOT go because you have preconceived notions about it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

dzsmith

Quote from: Tennessee Lead on February 10, 2018, 11:24:07 AM
Quote from: Greg Massey on February 10, 2018, 09:38:59 AM
Guy's I've been several times, just make sure you have a good pair of walking shoes...it's 4 days of nothing but turkeys... you need a pocket full of money....  I'm glad i'm not going... but if you have never been you DO need to plan a trip and go....
Actually it's more everything else than turkeys.
Waterfowl callers honking in your ear as loud as possible is really really annoying.
Tv celebrity stars and other stuff that have no business being there take away from the Turkey hunting aspect of it.
If it wasn't so close to home and I didn't enjoy buying calls and talking to the call builders I wouldn't go.
Way too many people crowded around to navigate through and enjoy it.
I would love to see all the nonsense cut out and the convention be TURKEY ONLY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This will be my first year going. But im going into it with  basically the opinion you already have. Im there to meet call builders and maybe purchase a couple, that's about it. I don't like crowds either....the wife really changed my mind on going so we headed that way Wednesday.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

EZ

Quote from: Happy on February 10, 2018, 08:47:46 PM
I have never been beaten with a baseball bat and I am sure I wouldn't like that.

Lol! Dude I almost spit coffee through my nose, ha,ha.
I feel a lot like you. I'm pretty "Backwards" and usually avoid crowds like the plague. I went to Unicoi this year (all the way from Pa.) and I absolutely loved it. So much so that I booked again for next year. Heck, it was my first time ever on an airplane!!!!

I've never been to the "big show" at Nashville and really never thought I was missing much, but nearly every call maker I know, met and got to know have all said that you've got to go a least once. I believe that some of the real attraction is from the folks that stay there through the whole show and meet up with old friends. I'm not going this year, but plan to in the future.

Happy

Quote from: EZ on February 12, 2018, 07:41:59 AM
I have never been beaten with a baseball bat and I am sure I wouldn't like that.

I feel a lot like you. I'm pretty "Backwards" and usually avoid crowds like the plague. I went to Unicoi this year (all the way from Pa.) and I absolutely loved it. So much so that I booked again for next year. Heck, it was my first time ever on an airplane!!!!

I've never been to the "big show" at Nashville and really never thought I was missing much, but nearly every call maker I know, met and got to know have all said that you've got to go a least once. I believe that some of the real attraction is from the folks that stay there through the whole show and meet up with old friends. I'm not going this year, but plan to in the future.
If I was to go to a turkey show then Unicoi would be more my speed. I enjoy the older generation more than my own. A lot of guys that are doing what they love because they love it. Lot of wisdom also. But I am not I the mood to walk around all day getting my eardrums assulted and look at things I don't need or use. I ain't the type to look up to or want to meet any "professional" hunters. Matter of fact I would go out of my way not to meet 95% of them.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

EZ

I have an idea you would LOVE Unicoi!

Greg Massey

Quote from: Happy on February 12, 2018, 09:14:28 AM

If I was to go to a turkey show then Unicoi would be more my speed. I enjoy the older generation more than my own. A lot of guys that are doing what they love because they love it. Lot of wisdom also. But I am not I the mood to walk around all day getting my eardrums assulted and look at things I don't need or use. I ain't the type to look up to or want to meet any "professional" hunters. Matter of fact I would go out of my way not to meet 95% of them.
Happy I'm a professional hunter , and if you ever came around me you would get ears full of turkey talk and call playing..i'm sure after we were done , you would really want to buy you some better calls, guns, camo and a new truck... So i guess we will never meet...because turkey is in my blood...sorry.... you don't have to be at a show to be a professional at anything...

Happy

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 12, 2018, 01:33:51 PM

Happy I'm a professional hunter , and if you ever came around me you would get ears full of turkey talk and call playing..i'm sure after we were done , you would really want to buy you some better calls, guns, camo and a new truck... So i guess we will never meet...because turkey is in my blood...sorry.... you don't have to be at a show to be a professional at anything...
Don't start nothin you don't want twice as much of....:)

nitro

Couple of observations - from a fella who went to the earliest of the National conventions - when it was fun.

1. The show is the NWTF show. Why does the NWTF allow non Turkey related vendors?? $$$$  that is why.
2. The last show I attended did me in. Too many booths with the above. Want other than turkey stuff?? SCI, NRA and lots of f other shows for that. They have lost their identity.
3. The reason there are fewer and fewer of the true artists in the call making world attend is the NWTF charges an exorbitant amount for a booth or even a table. Many guys can't come to the show and pay the bills.
4. Comparing the goat roping that the NWTF convention is to Unicoi is a joke. Unicoi is not affiliated with the NWTF in any way - by design. It is a small, focused event that is ALL about custom calls.

I will NEVER attend the Nationals again.   If you go, practice your communicable disease prevention tactics. Not too many years ago, a bunch of attendees got a Rinovirus or some other malady that was being passed around. Serious stuff. Wash your hands and use an antiviral hand sanitizer.

The NWTF has lost their way with many of the core members and that isn't going to be changed by a big goat ropin in Nashville.

Royal Slam 2008

idratherb

slicksbeagles1

I'm with Nitro I go to the convention because I only live 45min  away and spend time with friends and my sons if it was not for that I would go rabbit hunting. Unicoi is the place for me since they started back up have not missed a year and don't plan on it. Already booked for next year.

BottomLand54

Quote from: Happy on February 12, 2018, 02:03:01 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on February 12, 2018, 01:33:51 PM

Don't start nothin you don't want twice as much of....:)
Happy I was born a professional I am on the prostaff for rookie hunters for jakes on the limb

Happy

Bottomland,
You sure you didn't learn to hunt in Wv? Jakes off the limb is the motto on the lease I hunt. I hope one of these days I get lucky and kill one legitimately. Swerving all over the roads is taking its toll on my truck.

Hersh

I drive 7 hrs every year to spend a few days at the show. Usually have a couple of buddies that go with me. We have a great time. Best part of the show in my opinion is the custom callmakers competition. U get to look at and try out so many different calls. Also get to spend time talking to a lot of the guys that make them. Also if u go, spend some time listening to the call competition, those guys are awesome. Granted it's not for everyone but I love it.

BottomLand54

Quote from: Happy on February 12, 2018, 09:09:06 PM
Bottomland,
You sure you didn't learn to hunt in Wv? Jakes off the limb is the motto on the lease I hunt. I hope one of these days I get lucky and kill one legitimately. Swerving all over the roads is taking its toll on my truck.

lol i told you to buy a chevy and you wouldnt have to have a salvaged title driving that ford when you hit a squirrel. :TrainWreck1:

BottomLand54

Does it cost anything to go to the convention or is it free? Is there a fee? Also how much is a room right there at the convention? Isn't there a motel connected to the convention center?