OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Time to get those calls out and piss off our wives!

Started by 1tiogabowhunter, February 08, 2018, 07:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1tiogabowhunter

A couple years ago I paid a visit to Ralph Snodgrass and made this video.  He makes a great call and is one of the few old school turkey hunters left in the sport. 

Greg Massey

Thanks for posting the video, i would love to see that call collection in that showcase ....

crow

I never get tired of watching that,
He is one of the good guys

1iagobblergetter

Great Subject line...Lol...My wife after all these years has never and will never get use to my practicing turkey calls in the house. In fact they are multipurpose...If I want the house to myself that is... Anyone know how long Ralph's call wait list is??His mini long box has been on my turkey call bucket list for awhile...

Spitten and drummen

My wife can tune them out now. I run calls around my house off and on all year. Of course the closer to season we get , the more frequent it becomes.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

kwild835

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 09, 2018, 08:42:04 AM
My wife can tune them out now. I run calls around my house off and on all year. Of course the closer to season we get , the more frequent it becomes.
Man how long does that take?!  Mine can hear me working on soft purrs and clucks and give me the "please stop!" before I finish one series.

davisd9

Quote from: kwild835 on February 09, 2018, 09:32:49 AM
Man how long does that take?!  Mine can hear me working on soft purrs and clucks and give me the "please stop!" before I finish one series.

It just takes a few times of having to fix your own supper and getting some sort of mean looks.  Honestly, I am fortunate though as my wife does not care as long as I am in a different room, but I also prefer to play outside.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

HookedonHooks

Quote from: davisd9 on February 09, 2018, 09:36:24 AM

It just takes a few times of having to fix your own supper and getting some sort of mean looks.  Honestly, I am fortunate though as my wife does not care as long as I am in a different room, but I also prefer to play outside.

I'm in the same boat as Davis... Usually asked to just play in a different room, if that's an issue. I've played everyday of the last year, a minimum of 20-30 minutes. Often times longer.

Finding an old lady that supports our passions for this great sport is a necessity. Make her realize how much you love turkey hunting, then tell her you love her just a little bit more than that. If that's not sufficient, she ain't the one.

Spitten and drummen

thing is , my wife knew my passion for this sport long before we married. She can read a book while I run through calls and very seldom says anything about it. I respect her wishes when she tells me that she does not feel very well or if I get waaaaaay overboard hammering out loud cuts and cackles.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Greg Massey

My wife has not problems with me playing my calls. She just puts her headphones on and listen to music...

TauntoHawk

I play my calls in the house and my wife we tell me, "I liked the second one, that first one was too raspy" I got a good one that knows the difference between a jake and hen yelp. As long as I don't disturb nap time for the kids im good to go

My daughter who isn't even 4 always wants to play with the box calls when I get calls out.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Happy

Mine don't mind a bit. Says its only bad when the person calling sucks at it.Course she helps debone deer and turkeys. She has even shot a few herself. I got a good one.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

1tiogabowhunter

He has a waiting list but I do not think its to crazy - his mini boats are killers!

BottomLand54

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 09, 2018, 01:12:39 PM
My wife has not problems with me playing my calls. She just puts her headphones on and listen to music...
I FaceTime Greg and make his wife mad at him while I sound like a dying turkey on my calls bahahahaha j/k

I have my office(pastorial study) Hunting room I go in and hammer away with door closed around 11:00 she says honey time for bed. I got a good woman who is ust to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder409

Can't say as I've ever gotten chirped at for calling in the house.

The Mrs. has been there and killed a few.   She's my buyer when it comes to calls, a lot of the time.   

And NOW...........our newly teenage daughter has downed a couple and officially been bitten by the turkey bug, so...........
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.